    Jim S

    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk

    Jim S, Jun 22, 2010

  2. Jim S

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim S wrote:
    > Can I use Windows Live Mail without hotmail.

    Yes. You can consider WLM to be the OE replacement.

    > I hate hotmail with a passion and would like ONLY to use my default
    > settings.

    I don't know what that sentence 2nd half means, because 'default
    setings' includes a lot.

    Forget about hotmail. Pretend WLM^1 is OE and setup email accounts.

    > If I unsubscribe from hotmail would that work or is that impossible too?

    There are absolutely no requirements that you have anything to do with
    hotmail.

    Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with hotmail, Windows Live
    Hotmail or any of the previous iterations of MS's mail service.

    ^1 I'm talking about this WLM http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail
    Windows Live Mail

    not this http://explore.live.com/windows-live-hotmail Windows Live Hotmail

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 22, 2010

  3. Jim S

    NormanM Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:55:51 GMT, Jim S wrote:

    > Can I use Windows Live Mail without hotmail.
    > I hate hotmail with a passion and would like ONLY to use my default
    > settings.
    > If I unsubscribe from hotmail would that work or is that impossible too?

    You certainly can use Windows Live Mail without a Windows Live Hotmail
    account. You don't even need to sign in to WLM with a Windows Live ID
    (though WLM is not willing to admit it when it offers to let you use one to
    "sign in").

    I've never tried to unsubscribe from a Windows Live Hotmail account, though
    I hear that it can be done. Just remove that account from WLM, and stop
    signing in with that ID.

    In WLM, go to "Tools | Options", and to the "Connection" tab. At the bottom
    of that tab is a section labeled, "Connecting to Windows Live services".
    Click on the button labeled, "Stop signing in". Click "Apply", then "OK".
    Done.

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come

    NormanM, Jun 22, 2010
  4. Jim S

    G. Morgan Guest

    Jim S <> wrote:

    >Can I use Windows Live Mail without hotmail.
    >I hate hotmail with a passion and would like ONLY to use my default
    >settings.
    >If I unsubscribe from hotmail would that work or is that impossible too?

    You can use Windows Live Mail (Hotmail) in any regular mail client. Outlook
    2007 will even do it automatically if you give it your email address and logon
    credentials.

    BTW: Hotmail=Windows Live Mail <---- It's just a name change.

    G. Morgan, Jun 22, 2010
  5. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    NormanM <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:55:51 GMT, Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> Can I use Windows Live Mail without hotmail.
    >> I hate hotmail with a passion and would like ONLY to use my default
    >> settings.
    >> If I unsubscribe from hotmail would that work or is that impossible
    >> too?

    > You certainly can use Windows Live Mail without a Windows Live

    Hotmail
    > account. You don't even need to sign in to WLM with a Windows Live ID
    > (though WLM is not willing to admit it when it offers to let you use
    > one to "sign in").
    >
    > I've never tried to unsubscribe from a Windows Live Hotmail account,
    > though I hear that it can be done. Just remove that account from WLM,
    > and stop signing in with that ID.
    >
    > In WLM, go to "Tools | Options", and to the "Connection" tab. At the
    > bottom of that tab is a section labeled, "Connecting to Windows Live
    > services". Click on the button labeled, "Stop signing in". Click
    > "Apply", then "OK". Done.

    Excellent.
    Zackly what I needed thanks
    --
    Jim S

    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk

    Jim S, Jun 22, 2010
  6. Jim S

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jim S wrote:

    > Can I use Windows Live Mail without hotmail.

    It is YOUR choice to where you connect ANY e-mail client.

    VanguardLH, Jun 23, 2010
  7. Jim S

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> Can I use Windows Live Mail without hotmail.

    > Yes. You can consider WLM to be the OE replacement.
    >
    >> I hate hotmail with a passion and would like ONLY to use my default
    >> settings.

    > I don't know what that sentence 2nd half means, because 'default
    > setings' includes a lot.

    I believe this is another case of MS confusing things: Windows Mail is
    the client, Windows Live Mail is the web mail. Otherwise known as yet
    another revamp of hotmail.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 23, 2010
  8. chuckcar wrote:

    > I believe this is another case of MS confusing things: Windows Mail is
    > the client, Windows Live Mail is the web mail. Otherwise known as yet
    > another revamp of hotmail.

    The only confusing thing here is your lack of research, and your posting
    of erroneous information.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Mail

    "Windows Live Mail (formerly named Windows Live Mail Desktop, code-named
    Elroy[1]) is an e-mail client from Microsoft's Windows Live set of
    products. It is intended to be a successor for Outlook Express on
    Windows XP and Windows Mail on Windows Vista."

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 23, 2010
  9. Jim S

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Jim

    Yes you can use WLM without Hotmail. Ignore all these ignoramus posters that cannot
    answer you straight

    --
    Peter

    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Jun 23, 2010
  10. Jim S

    NormanM Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:18:25 GMT, Jim S wrote:

    > NormanM <> wrote in

    <snip>

    >> In WLM, go to "Tools | Options", and to the "Connection" tab. At the
    >> bottom of that tab is a section labeled, "Connecting to Windows Live
    >> services". Click on the button labeled, "Stop signing in". Click
    >> "Apply", then "OK". Done.

    > Excellent.
    > Zackly what I needed thanks

    You're welcome.

    NormanM, Jun 23, 2010
  11. Jim S

    NormanM Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:39:02 -0500, G. Morgan wrote:

    > Jim S <> wrote:

    >>Can I use Windows Live Mail without hotmail.
    >>I hate hotmail with a passion and would like ONLY to use my default
    >>settings.
    >>If I unsubscribe from hotmail would that work or is that impossible too?

    > You can use Windows Live Mail (Hotmail) in any regular mail client. Outlook
    > 2007 will even do it automatically if you give it your email address and logon
    > credentials.
    >
    > BTW: Hotmail=Windows Live Mail <---- It's just a name change.

    No. MSN Hotmail was renamed as Windows Live Mail ... briefly. Then it was
    renamed, again, as Windows Live Hotmail.

    Microsoft also released a mail client, a replacement for MS Outlook Express
    (Windows XP/Internet Explorer 6) and Windows Mail (Windows Vista). It was
    originally called, "Windows Live Mail desktop", later renamed as, "Windows
    Live Mail".

    As things stand today, Windows Live Hotmail is the new MSN Hotmail, and
    Windows Live Mail is a desktop client, akin to (and replacing) MS Outlook
    Express.

    NormanM, Jun 23, 2010
  12. Jim S

    NormanM Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:49:39 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:

    <snip>

    > I believe this is another case of MS confusing things: Windows Mail is
    > the client, Windows Live Mail is the web mail. Otherwise known as yet
    > another revamp of hotmail.

    I believe you are right (that this is another case of MS confusing things),
    but ...

    MSN Hotmail was renamed as, "Windows Live Mail".

    Windows Mail is the Windows Vista replacement for MS Outlook Express, and
    Windows Mail is only available in Windows Vista. Not in any other MS
    operating system.

    The latest email client from MS was originally named as, "Windows Live Mail
    desktop".

    However MS further confused matters by additional renaming:

    Windows Live Mail is now Windows Live Hotmail.

    Windows Live Mail desktop is now Windows Live Mail.

    The web email service is now called, "Windows Live Hotmail".

    The email client is now called, "Windows Live Mail".

    Did nobody ever warn you? It is better to write nothing, and let people
    think you are a fool, than to write anything not factual and prove it! :p

    NormanM, Jun 23, 2010
  13. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    NormanM <> wrote in news:h7f634kkgmt2
    $:

    > On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:18:25 GMT, Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> NormanM <> wrote in

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> In WLM, go to "Tools | Options", and to the "Connection" tab. At

    the
    >>> bottom of that tab is a section labeled, "Connecting to Windows

    Live
    >>> services". Click on the button labeled, "Stop signing in". Click
    >>> "Apply", then "OK". Done.

    >> Excellent.
    >> Zackly what I needed thanks

    > You're welcome.

    Except it seems useless if you don't sign in ;o?

    --
    Jim S

    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk

    Jim S, Jun 23, 2010
  14. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    "Peter Foldes" <> wrote in

    > Jim
    >
    > Yes you can use WLM without Hotmail. Ignore all these ignoramus
    > posters that cannot answer you straight

    Have you tried?
    I only tried it out of interest "because it is there" and I find
    Outlook 2007 poor in the way it treats attachments. Thunderbird is my
    current client of choice.
    Anyhoo on Windows 7 Windows Live Mail is the only option on offer and
    on advice from this group I set it so I am not signed in. At that point
    it became difficult (impossible for me) to import all my stuff (mail,
    contacts or calendar(s)) from either Tbird or O2007 without signing in
    first.

    --
    Jim S

    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk

    Jim S, Jun 23, 2010
  15. Jim S

    Jim S, Jun 23, 2010
  16. Jim S

    joevan Guest

    wrote:

    >Mike Easter <> wrote in
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> Can I use Windows Live Mail without hotmail.

    >> Yes. You can consider WLM to be the OE replacement.
    >>
    >>> I hate hotmail with a passion and would like ONLY to use my default
    >>> settings.

    >> I don't know what that sentence 2nd half means, because 'default
    >> setings' includes a lot.
    >>

    >I believe this is another case of MS confusing things: Windows Mail is
    >the client, Windows Live Mail is the web mail. Otherwise known as yet
    >another revamp of hotmail.

    It seems that everything confuses you, simple mind.

    joevan, Jun 23, 2010
  17. Jim S wrote:

    > Anyhoo on Windows 7[,] Windows Live Mail is the only option on offer..

    There must be dozens of email clients to choose from...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 23, 2010
  18. Jim S

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jim S wrote:

    > "Peter Foldes" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Jim
    >>
    >> Yes you can use WLM without Hotmail. Ignore all these ignoramus
    >> posters that cannot answer you straight
    >>

    > Have you tried?
    > I only tried it out of interest "because it is there" and I find
    > Outlook 2007 poor in the way it treats attachments. Thunderbird is my
    > current client of choice.
    > Anyhoo on Windows 7 Windows Live Mail is the only option on offer and
    > on advice from this group I set it so I am not signed in. At that point
    > it became difficult (impossible for me) to import all my stuff (mail,
    > contacts or calendar(s)) from either Tbird or O2007 without signing in
    > first.

    If you "sign in" then you ARE logging into your Windows Live Hotmail
    account. You are also going online to sync to your calendar and
    contacts lists up on your Hotmail account instead of using your local
    store. WLM is "wonderful" in that you get to either see the server or
    local stores for calendar and contacts but not a merged view of them.
    If you have local contacts, they disappear when you signin to your
    Hotmail account to see the contacts you stored up there.

    So are all your calendar and contact lists up in your Hotmail account?
    If so then you ARE using your Hotmail account despite your complaints
    about Hotmail. You do NOT need to signin to your Hotmail account to
    retrieve and send e-mails using Hotmail. The signin for calendar and
    contacts (server-side sync) is not required if you want to just use POP
    or HTTP/Deltasync to retrieve and send e-mails using your Hotmail
    account. There has always been lots of confusion with new users of WLM
    regarding the *two* synchronization features or WLM: one is the old
    e-mail polling scheme and the other is the separate "signin" to your
    Hotmail account to do the calendar/contact sync.

    If your contacts are up in your Hotmail account along with your calendar
    events (i.e., they are up on the server and you have to "signin" to see
    them in WLM) but you want them in the local store and never have to
    signin to Hotmail then ask in a WLM newsgroup on how to get them out of
    Hotmail's service and make them local.

    microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

    My guess (it's been way too long since I last trialed WLM) is that you
    go up on the server using the webmail interface to your Hotmail account
    and export them to a file and then import them into WLM. Once you
    migrate any server-side calendar events and contacts into your local
    store, you will no longer have to "signin" to Hotmail to get that info.
    Whether you continue to separately do an e-mail poll to your Hotmail
    account is your choice but WLM can use POP, IMAP, and SMTP to connect to
    any other e-mail server that supports those standard protocols (i.e.,
    non-Microsoft proprietary).

    VanguardLH, Jun 23, 2010
  19. Jim S

    chuckcar Guest

    NormanM <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:49:39 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> I believe this is another case of MS confusing things: Windows Mail
    >> is the client, Windows Live Mail is the web mail. Otherwise known as
    >> yet another revamp of hotmail.

    > I believe you are right (that this is another case of MS confusing
    > things), but ...
    >
    > MSN Hotmail was renamed as, "Windows Live Mail".
    >
    > Windows Mail is the Windows Vista replacement for MS Outlook Express,
    > and Windows Mail is only available in Windows Vista. Not in any other
    > MS operating system.
    >
    > The latest email client from MS was originally named as, "Windows Live
    > Mail desktop".
    >
    > However MS further confused matters by additional renaming:
    >
    > Windows Live Mail is now Windows Live Hotmail.
    >
    > Windows Live Mail desktop is now Windows Live Mail.
    >
    > The web email service is now called, "Windows Live Hotmail".
    >
    > The email client is now called, "Windows Live Mail".
    >
    > Did nobody ever warn you? It is better to write nothing, and let
    > people think you are a fool, than to write anything not factual and
    > prove it! :p

    As to the people who *claim* I am a fool, I have little interest if
    any of their opinions - for good reason.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 23, 2010
  20. Jim S

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:27:54 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > As to the people who *claim* I am a fool, I have little interest if any
    > of their opinions - for good reason.

    Because you're too much of a fool?

    Aardvark, Jun 23, 2010