Windows live mail "contacts" db

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Me, Aug 15, 2011.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
    But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
    The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
    But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
    created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
    since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
    rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
    get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
    path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
    There are three other locations in
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
    "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
    large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
    Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
    file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
    whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
    think of that.
    Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
    to open an "edb" file.

    Me, Aug 15, 2011

  2. Me

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-08-15, Me <> wrote:
    > I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
    > But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
    > The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
    > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
    > But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
    > created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
    > since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
    > rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
    > get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
    > path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
    > There are three other locations in
    > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
    > "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
    > large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
    > Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
    > file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
    > whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
    > think of that.
    > Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
    > to open an "edb" file.

    I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
    will import.

    Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
    from the edb file.

    http://forums.msexchange.org/m_190005800/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#190005800

    My 2c worth.

    Gordon, Aug 16, 2011

  3. Me

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, ,
    Gordon says...

    > On 2011-08-15, Me <> wrote:
    > > I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
    > > But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
    > > The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
    > > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
    > > But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
    > > created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
    > > since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
    > > rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
    > > get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
    > > path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
    > > There are three other locations in
    > > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
    > > "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
    > > large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
    > > Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
    > > file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
    > > whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
    > > think of that.
    > > Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
    > > to open an "edb" file.
    > >

    > I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
    > will import.
    >
    > Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
    > from the edb file.
    >
    > http://forums.msexchange.org/m_190005800/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#190005800
    >
    > My 2c worth.

    Or what about...
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-
    networking/how-to-restore-windows-live-mail-contacts-from/a0a2311a-0c71-
    4d83-b2ad-5d673dfd7a5c

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 16, 2011
  4. Me

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, ,
    Gordon says...

    > On 2011-08-15, Me <> wrote:
    > > I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
    > > But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
    > > The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
    > > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
    > > But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
    > > created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
    > > since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
    > > rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
    > > get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
    > > path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
    > > There are three other locations in
    > > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
    > > "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
    > > large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
    > > Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
    > > file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
    > > whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
    > > think of that.
    > > Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
    > > to open an "edb" file.
    > >

    > I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
    > will import.
    >
    > Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
    > from the edb file.
    >
    > http://forums.msexchange.org/m_190005800/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#190005800
    >
    > My 2c worth.

    or...
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1584257

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 16, 2011
  5. Me

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    , Dave Doe says...

    > In article <>, ,
    > Gordon says...
    > >
    > > On 2011-08-15, Me <> wrote:
    > > > I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
    > > > But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
    > > > The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
    > > > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
    > > > But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
    > > > created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
    > > > since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
    > > > rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
    > > > get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
    > > > path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
    > > > There are three other locations in
    > > > C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
    > > > "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
    > > > large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
    > > > Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
    > > > file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
    > > > whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
    > > > think of that.
    > > > Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
    > > > to open an "edb" file.
    > > >

    > > I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
    > > will import.
    > >
    > > Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
    > > from the edb file.
    > >
    > > http://forums.msexchange.org/m_190005800/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#190005800
    > >
    > > My 2c worth.

    > or...
    > http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1584257

    There's more here...
    http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=import edb contacts file into Windows Live Mail

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 16, 2011
  6. Me

    Me Guest

    On 16/08/2011 4:41 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article<>, ,
    > Gordon says...
    >>
    >> On 2011-08-15, Me<> wrote:
    >>> I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
    >>> But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
    >>> The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
    >>> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
    >>> But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
    >>> created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
    >>> since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
    >>> rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
    >>> get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
    >>> path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
    >>> There are three other locations in
    >>> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
    >>> "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
    >>> large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
    >>> Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
    >>> file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
    >>> whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
    >>> think of that.
    >>> Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
    >>> to open an "edb" file.
    >>>

    >> I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
    >> will import.
    >>
    >> Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
    >> from the edb file.
    >>
    >> http://forums.msexchange.org/m_190005800/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#190005800
    >>
    >> My 2c worth.

    > Or what about...
    > http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-
    > networking/how-to-restore-windows-live-mail-contacts-from/a0a2311a-0c71-
    > 4d83-b2ad-5d673dfd7a5c

    Thanks, that lead looked really good, but there's no
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Database
    in registry.
    The 2011 version of WLM doesn't use this method.
    Dammit...

    Me, Aug 16, 2011
  7. Me

    Me Guest

    On 16/08/2011 4:42 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article<>, ,
    > Gordon says...
    >>
    >> On 2011-08-15, Me<> wrote:
    >>> I had a HD crash* with win7, everything backed up and/or recoverable.
    >>> But I've lost access to my saved "contacts" database for windows live mail.
    >>> The file on the old win7 install seems to have lived in
    >>> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Contacts.edb.
    >>> But with the new install, the "Windows Live Contacts" folder hasn't been
    >>> created. This is possibly because a new version of wlm was brought out
    >>> since I first installed it, and as it's a program that you download
    >>> rather than being on the Win7 install disk, with a reinstall you only
    >>> get to install the latest version, and that seems to use a different
    >>> path - or perhaps a completely different way to store the contacts db.
    >>> There are three other locations in
    >>> C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft path where there's a
    >>> "contacts.edb" file. If I rename those and copy the saved original
    >>> large contacts.edb file to those locations, it still doesn't work.
    >>> Using the "import" function in wlm doesn't allow importing an "edb"
    >>> file. I could have exported the original contacts data to .csv or
    >>> whatever, but after win7 won't load/repair/reinstall is a bit late to
    >>> think of that.
    >>> Any ideas for how to recover this data? My googling didn't find a tool
    >>> to open an "edb" file.
    >>>

    >> I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
    >> will import.
    >>
    >> Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
    >> from the edb file.
    >>
    >> http://forums.msexchange.org/m_190005800/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#190005800
    >>
    >> My 2c worth.

    > or...
    > http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1584257

    Again, the 2011 update has changed - the windows live contacts folder
    isn't created.

    Me, Aug 16, 2011
  8. Me

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <j2d67j$f61$>, d, Me
    says...

    > On 16/08/2011 4:41 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article<>, ,
    > > Gordon says...

    > >> I have the gut feeling you need to convert the edb file to something which
    > >> will import.
    > >>
    > >> Bit of a discussion going on at link below. The plan is to get a pst file
    > >> from the edb file.
    > >>
    > >> http://forums.msexchange.org/m_190005800/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#190005800
    > >>
    > >> My 2c worth.

    > > Or what about...
    > > http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-
    > > networking/how-to-restore-windows-live-mail-contacts-from/a0a2311a-0c71-
    > > 4d83-b2ad-5d673dfd7a5c
    > >

    > Thanks, that lead looked really good, but there's no
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Database
    > in registry.
    > The 2011 version of WLM doesn't use this method.
    > Dammit...

    Not sure if this one might help, worth checking out? ...
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/live_messenger_contacts.html

    That utility was recommended in a MS newsgroup too.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Aug 16, 2011
  9. Me

    Me Guest

    On 16/08/2011 11:46 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article<j2d67j$f61$>, d, Me
    > says...
    >>
    >> On 16/08/2011 4:41 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article<>, ,
    >>> Gordon says...

    >>> Or what about...
    >>> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-
    >>> networking/how-to-restore-windows-live-mail-contacts-from/a0a2311a-0c71-
    >>> 4d83-b2ad-5d673dfd7a5c
    >>>

    >> Thanks, that lead looked really good, but there's no
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\Database
    >> in registry.
    >> The 2011 version of WLM doesn't use this method.
    >> Dammit...

    > Not sure if this one might help, worth checking out? ...
    > http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/live_messenger_contacts.html
    >
    > That utility was recommended in a MS newsgroup too.

    Thanks - I'd tried that one out - and a couple of others, but although
    it seemed to work opening the file, it doesn't show any results. There
    are contacts in the file - some of it is visible in plain text when
    opening in a text editor. Darn it - this is a nuisance.

    Me, Aug 16, 2011
  10. Me

    Me Guest

    On 17/08/2011 10:32 p.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 17/08/2011 10:17 a.m., Me wrote:
    >
    >>> Not sure if this one might help, worth checking out? ...
    >>> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/live_messenger_contacts.html
    >>>
    >>> That utility was recommended in a MS newsgroup too.
    >>>

    >> Thanks - I'd tried that one out - and a couple of others, but although
    >> it seemed to work opening the file, it doesn't show any results. There
    >> are contacts in the file - some of it is visible in plain text when
    >> opening in a text editor. Darn it - this is a nuisance.

    > http://liveunplugged.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/windows-live-mail-contacts-database/
    > implies that edb are used in the current version and explains a bit
    > about it.

    Thanks. There's something "missed" in that and other explanations I've
    seen - I think perhaps there's a difference between an install of wlm
    2011 "fresh" install in win 7, and installed/updated over wlm 2009.
    I can find the db file(s) in the wlm 2011 user appdata directory ok, but
    if I copy over the old files saved from the borked hard drive, it
    doesn't work.
    It's not a file permissions problem (checked this).
    I suspect that there's a new (to wlm 2011) registry key somewhere (and I
    can't find it!) which wlm 2011 reads to find the db file. (it's not the
    one mentioned in the article - as that one is not created when wlm 2011
    is installed).
    I'm stumped. Somewhere, on a disk saved in a safe place (before
    earthquakes) I've got contacts from a few years ago, exported to a csv
    file. Now I wonder where that disk is...

    Me, Aug 17, 2011
  11. Me

    Enkidu Guest

    On 18/08/11 09:17, Me wrote:

    >>> Thanks - I'd tried that one out - and a couple of others, but although
    >>> it seemed to work opening the file, it doesn't show any results. There
    >>> are contacts in the file - some of it is visible in plain text when
    >>> opening in a text editor. Darn it - this is a nuisance.

    >> http://liveunplugged.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/windows-live-mail-contacts-database/
    >>
    >> implies that edb are used in the current version and explains a bit
    >> about it.
    > >

    > Thanks. There's something "missed" in that and other explanations I've
    > seen - I think perhaps there's a difference between an install of wlm
    > 2011 "fresh" install in win 7, and installed/updated over wlm 2009.
    > I can find the db file(s) in the wlm 2011 user appdata directory ok, but
    > if I copy over the old files saved from the borked hard drive, it
    > doesn't work.
    > It's not a file permissions problem (checked this).
    > I suspect that there's a new (to wlm 2011) registry key somewhere (and I
    > can't find it!) which wlm 2011 reads to find the db file. (it's not the
    > one mentioned in the article - as that one is not created when wlm 2011
    > is installed).

    Did you try creating that key?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Aug 17, 2011
  12. Me

    Me Guest

    On 18/08/2011 9:24 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
    > On 18/08/11 09:17, Me wrote:

    >>> http://liveunplugged.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/windows-live-mail-contacts-database/
    >>>

    >>> implies that edb are used in the current version and explains a bit
    >>> about it.
    >> >

    >> Thanks. There's something "missed" in that and other explanations I've
    >> seen - I think perhaps there's a difference between an install of wlm
    >> 2011 "fresh" install in win 7, and installed/updated over wlm 2009.
    >> I can find the db file(s) in the wlm 2011 user appdata directory ok, but
    >> if I copy over the old files saved from the borked hard drive, it
    >> doesn't work.
    >> It's not a file permissions problem (checked this).
    >> I suspect that there's a new (to wlm 2011) registry key somewhere (and I
    >> can't find it!) which wlm 2011 reads to find the db file. (it's not the
    >> one mentioned in the article - as that one is not created when wlm 2011
    >> is installed).
    > >

    > Did you try creating that key?

    Only after you suggested it ...
    Thanks - but it didn't work.

    Me, Aug 18, 2011
  13. Me

    Me Guest

    On 18/08/2011 8:41 p.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 18/08/2011 9:17 a.m., Me wrote:

    >>> http://liveunplugged.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/windows-live-mail-contacts-database/
    >>>

    >>> implies that edb are used in the current version and explains a bit
    >>> about it.
    >> >

    >> Thanks. There's something "missed" in that and other explanations I've
    >> seen - I think perhaps there's a difference between an install of wlm
    >> 2011 "fresh" install in win 7, and installed/updated over wlm 2009.
    >> I can find the db file(s) in the wlm 2011 user appdata directory ok, but
    >> if I copy over the old files saved from the borked hard drive, it
    >> doesn't work.
    >> It's not a file permissions problem (checked this).
    >> I suspect that there's a new (to wlm 2011) registry key somewhere (and I
    >> can't find it!) which wlm 2011 reads to find the db file. (it's not the
    >> one mentioned in the article - as that one is not created when wlm 2011
    >> is installed).
    >> I'm stumped. Somewhere, on a disk saved in a safe place (before
    >> earthquakes) I've got contacts from a few years ago, exported to a csv
    >> file. Now I wonder where that disk is...

    > You have sorted the online/offline differences they refer to in that
    > article?

    Yep - I don't use any windows live online stuff - never have, and
    probably never will.
    There might be a really simple solution to this...
    Adding to my annoyance is that the HD which crashed, now re-partioned
    and formatted, is showing no errors and no bad sectors on full scan. If
    you see me selling it "in perfect condition" Hitachi sata notebook drive
    on trademe - don't buy it <g>. There was a lightning storm here when it
    died. Not virus/malware. Whatever it was, Win 7 recovery tools didn't
    work.
    Reinstalling the OS was also a pita, using W7u 64 bit upgrade license,
    on a machine with 32 bit Vista OEM license on recovery disks. What a
    nice way (not) to waste a lot of time.
    So the one thing on the drive not backed up elsewhere was my contacts db
    file, which I've saved, and now I can't use the darned thing. I suppose
    there is the possibility that this file was trashed/corrupted when the
    machine crashed.

    Me, Aug 18, 2011
  14. Me

    Me Guest

    On 19/08/2011 8:23 p.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 18/08/2011 11:06 p.m., Me wrote:
    >
    >> Yep - I don't use any windows live online stuff - never have, and
    >> probably never will.
    >> There might be a really simple solution to this...
    >> Adding to my annoyance is that the HD which crashed, now re-partioned
    >> and formatted, is showing no errors and no bad sectors on full scan. If
    >> you see me selling it "in perfect condition" Hitachi sata notebook drive
    >> on trademe - don't buy it <g>. There was a lightning storm here when it
    >> died. Not virus/malware. Whatever it was, Win 7 recovery tools didn't
    >> work.
    >> Reinstalling the OS was also a pita, using W7u 64 bit upgrade license,
    >> on a machine with 32 bit Vista OEM license on recovery disks. What a
    >> nice way (not) to waste a lot of time.

    > Clean installs from upgrade media aren't a hassle. See link for details.
    > <http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html>

    The hassle wasn't the clean install, but the time to do it. With no
    licensed OS on the disk, the Win7 upgrade can't be installed (before
    windows will load, it asks for key, rejects the upgrade license key - so
    that's as far as you can get). There might be a way around it, but I
    installed vista using Toshiba rescue disks, activated it, then did a
    clean install of Win7.

    Me, Aug 20, 2011