Windows Live Mail 2011 - doesn't work

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Geoff Pearson, Oct 23, 2010.

  1. I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It doesn't
    work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?

    Geoff Pearson, Oct 23, 2010

  2. Geoff Pearson

    VanguardLH Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It doesn't
    > work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?

    WLM newsgroup is at:
    microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

    VanguardLH, Oct 23, 2010

  3. Geoff Pearson

    PeeCee Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" wrote in message news:...

    I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It doesn't
    work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?

    Some ideas:
    Disabling your Anti Virus before starting the install.
    Defrag.
    Scandisk

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 23, 2010
  4. Geoff Pearson

    Peter Foldes Guest

    VanguardLH

    Most MS MVP's of WLM\Hotmail group and posters from that same group moved to the
    news.annexcafe.com server to the annexcafe.general.windowslivemail newsgroup

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Oct 23, 2010
  5. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Peter Foldes wrote:

    > Most MS MVP's of WLM\Hotmail group and posters from that same group
    > moved to the news.annexcafe.com server to the
    > annexcafe.general.windowslivemail newsgroup

    I wouldn't say that a lot of MS MVPs have gone to annexcafe.

    I would say most of the old MSpublic activity has gone to the MS forums.

    Such as the topic:

    Windows Unable to Install Windows Live Mail http://bit.ly/brd1kw

    In annexcafe.general.windowslivemailI see about 60 posts a week total,
    not too many MVPs.

    If one wants to use a newsreader to find a lot of MS MVP support, they
    should use one of the two gateways to the forum, not annexcafe's news
    server.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 23, 2010
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Parko Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:59:16 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It
    > doesn't work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?

    Installing bad software, I'd say. Try Incredimail.

    --
    Oh, bugger!

    Parko, Oct 23, 2010
  7. Geoff Pearson

    philo Guest

    On 10/23/2010 04:13 AM, PeeCee wrote:
    > "Geoff Pearson" wrote in message news:...
    >
    > I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It doesn't
    > work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Some ideas:
    > Disabling your Anti Virus before starting the install.
    > Defrag.
    > Scandisk

    yeah sure...

    Windows ME was the last MS OS with scandisk

    sheesh

    philo, Oct 23, 2010
  8. Geoff Pearson

    chuckcar Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in

    > I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It
    > doesn't work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?

    What happens though. Saying it "doesn't work" and 100% CPU doesn't
    really help us much. What task(s) is/are at 100% and how are you coming
    to the conclusion it doesn't work? Does the install not finish and if
    so, how long do you wait for it to? Do you get an error message and if
    so quote it verbatim please.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 23, 2010
  9. "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It
    >> doesn't work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?
    >>

    > What happens though. Saying it "doesn't work" and 100% CPU doesn't
    > really help us much. What task(s) is/are at 100% and how are you coming
    > to the conclusion it doesn't work? Does the install not finish and if
    > so, how long do you wait for it to? Do you get an error message and if
    > so quote it verbatim please.
    >

    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    No messages, just constant 100% CPU, and everything unbelievably slow.
    Takes half an hour to open and release the CPU from churning away.
    Basically nothing happens.

    Geoff Pearson, Oct 23, 2010
  10. Parko wrote:

    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >> I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It
    >> doesn't work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?

    > Installing bad software, I'd say. Try Incredimail.

    Oooh, Parko. I *do* hope you meant that as a joke! I wouldn't recommend
    Incrudimail to anyone without attaching a big smiley...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 23, 2010
  11. Geoff Pearson

    chuckcar Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It
    >>> doesn't work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?
    >>>

    >> What happens though. Saying it "doesn't work" and 100% CPU doesn't
    >> really help us much. What task(s) is/are at 100% and how are you
    >> coming to the conclusion it doesn't work? Does the install not finish
    >> and if so, how long do you wait for it to? Do you get an error
    >> message and if so quote it verbatim please.
    >>

    > No messages, just constant 100% CPU, and everything unbelievably slow.
    > Takes half an hour to open and release the CPU from churning away.
    > Basically nothing happens.

    So it installed then. What does task manager say is using the most
    resources? Give the name listed there if you don't know what it actually
    is.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 23, 2010
  12. Geoff Pearson

    NormanM Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:42:51 +0000 (UTC), Parko wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:59:16 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

    >> I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It
    >> doesn't work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?

    > Installing bad software, I'd say. Try Incredimail.

    You would actually recommend going from bad to worse? :O

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come

    NormanM, Oct 23, 2010
  13. Geoff Pearson

    Parko Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:07:08 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty scrawled:

    > Parko wrote:
    >
    >> Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >>> I've had three goes at installing this thing, I'm on Windows 7. It
    >>> doesn't work - machine runs at 100% CPU. What am I doing wrong?

    >> Installing bad software, I'd say. Try Incredimail.

    > Oooh, Parko. I *do* hope you meant that as a joke! I wouldn't recommend
    > Incrudimail to anyone without attaching a big smiley...

    It was a total joke. The first time I encountered Incredimail I wanted to
    poke my eyes out with a stick...

    --
    Computer says: "No"

    Parko, Oct 23, 2010
  14. Geoff Pearson

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Mike

    LOL. You have a way of telling (not suggesting ) people what they should do. Instead
    of helping with suggesting on subjects where a suggestion would do,you in turn get
    your pants in a knot and right away TELL them what to do as per your insight.
    Telling them in strong terms vs. suggesting on posts as to where to go, is two
    different animals.
    If an issue is posted as to what is a fix with an OS,Program,Virus,Malware,Setting
    and etc, I then do agree with your (telling what to do) and not suggesting as I did.
    Anyway, that is my take on this.

    Peter Foldes, Oct 23, 2010
  15. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Peter Foldes wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Peter Foldes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most MS MVP's of WLM\Hotmail group and posters from that same group moved to the news.annexcafe.com server to the annexcafe.general.windowslivemail newsgroup

    >> I wouldn't say that a lot of MS MVPs have gone to annexcafe.

    > LOL. You have a way of telling (not suggesting ) people what they should
    > do.

    What does that have to do with my rebuttal to your opinion about
    annexcafe having any MVPs?

    Oh, I see. The lack of context for your top posted remark made me think
    you were responding to what I said (to you) when I rebutted what you said.

    But you weren't responding to my rebuttal to your 'most MVPs ... moved
    to ...annexcafe...'

    You were /instead/ responding to my suggestion that they use the gateway
    with a newsreader instead of a browser to the forums which I gave a link
    to, and so you went on to advise me, perhaps to recommend I say 'could'
    instead of 'should' or perhaps to use 'IMO' before and after everything
    I say.

    'We' are going to have to motivate you to trim and context regularly so
    that 'we' will know what you are talking about. tinw thereisnowe

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 24, 2010
  16. Geoff Pearson

    Peter Foldes Guest

    :)

    Peter Foldes, Oct 24, 2010
  17. Geoff Pearson

    thanatoid Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > No messages, just constant 100% CPU, and everything
    > unbelievably slow. Takes half an hour to open and release
    > the CPU from churning away. Basically nothing happens.

    Nothing you can - or are meant to - see. Can you say "spyware"
    (in a broad sense of the word)?
    It's MICROSOFT, FFS!

    Get a clue, and get a proper POP/SMTP email account. Webmail is
    for morons.

    (No offense, everyone that hasn't KF'd me yet.)

    --
    "Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
    - 21st Century Humanoid

    thanatoid, Oct 24, 2010
  18. "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in

    >>> What happens though. Saying it "doesn't work" and 100% CPU doesn't
    >>> really help us much. What task(s) is/are at 100% and how are you
    >>> coming to the conclusion it doesn't work? Does the install not finish
    >>> and if so, how long do you wait for it to? Do you get an error
    >>> message and if so quote it verbatim please.
    >>>

    >> No messages, just constant 100% CPU, and everything unbelievably slow.
    >> Takes half an hour to open and release the CPU from churning away.
    >> Basically nothing happens.
    >>

    > So it installed then. What does task manager say is using the most
    > resources? Give the name listed there if you don't know what it actually
    > is.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    wl***.exe - ie live mail

    Geoff Pearson, Oct 24, 2010
  19. "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> No messages, just constant 100% CPU, and everything
    >> unbelievably slow. Takes half an hour to open and release
    >> the CPU from churning away. Basically nothing happens.

    > Nothing you can - or are meant to - see. Can you say "spyware"
    > (in a broad sense of the word)?
    > It's MICROSOFT, FFS!
    >
    > Get a clue, and get a proper POP/SMTP email account. Webmail is
    > for morons.
    >
    > (No offense, everyone that hasn't KF'd me yet.)
    >

    > --
    > "Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
    > - 21st Century Humanoid

    I have one - I use Outlook for email. I use Live Mail only for newsgroups

    Geoff Pearson, Oct 24, 2010
  20. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    >>> No messages, just constant 100% CPU, and everything
    >>> unbelievably slow. Takes half an hour to open and release
    >>> the CPU from churning away. Basically nothing happens.

    > I use Live Mail only for newsgroups

    Windows Unable to Install Windows Live Mail http://bit.ly/brd1kw

    (suggested fix at link)
    Clear Live http://bit.ly/awCKiF How to uninstall Windows Live Essentials
    dl WLM http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail?os=other
    disable firewall and shut down other apps esp browsers
    Install WLM
    enable firewall

    Alternatively: use some other news agent. Many people including those
    who like OE or WM do not like WLM for news.

    If you like OE,WM, or WLM, you would probably like Tbird better because
    it has more features and a better editor.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 24, 2010