    We are the only two people on IM and have no worries about bad sites, but
    the warning requires an extra step each time.

    Anybody have any ideas how to disable this "feature" of IM?
    Joe J, Jul 24, 2012

  2. Joe J

    Paul Guest

    Joe J wrote:
    > My wife and I use Windows Live Instant Message a lot and send web sites
    > back and forth. This new IM version now has this popup warning that
    > this may be a suspicious site, are you sure you want to proceed.
    >
    > I have searched everywhere to find a way to disable this function with
    > no luck.
    >
    > We are the only two people on IM and have no worries about bad sites,
    > but the warning requires an extra step each time.
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas how to disable this "feature" of IM?

    There's a thing called Windows Live Messenger Companion, which
    is described as an add_on for Internet Explorer.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Messenger_Companion#Messenger_Companion

    If that's what you're using, it's just as likely that Internet Explorer
    is reporting the suspicious site, or, some AV product you're using,
    is scanning for URLs and has identified the links using it's own
    peculiar sense of humor. So it might not necessarily be the Windows
    Live program doing it.

    If the dialog came from Windows Live Messenger, then that might be
    a Windows Live problem.

    Suffice to say, with so many pieces of bloated software involved,
    you could spend a lot of time trying to change the behavior. A web page
    I was reading a couple weeks ago, claims there are so many
    permutations and combinations of settings in the Registry,
    it amounts to a couple thousand settings for Internet Explorer
    security (zones and the like). And that makes it especially
    difficult for mere mortals to adjust any security settings
    they might be having problems with. It's not that the
    settings are particularly unique, just that you'd have to
    adjust a bunch of them, to effectively change one setting.
    And because the descriptions of what they do are so confusing,
    the odds of smacking just the right one with your whack-a-mole
    hammer, are pretty low.

    So right now, my money is on this being Messenger Companion,
    and the heart of the problem, is the convoluted security model
    of Internet Explorer.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 24, 2012

  3. Joe J

    Joe J Guest

    "Paul" wrote in message news:jumdjk$kf1$...

    Joe J wrote:
    > My wife and I use Windows Live Instant Message a lot and send web sites
    > back and forth. This new IM version now has this popup warning that this
    > may be a suspicious site, are you sure you want to proceed.
    >
    > I have searched everywhere to find a way to disable this function with no
    > luck.
    >
    > We are the only two people on IM and have no worries about bad sites, but
    > the warning requires an extra step each time.
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas how to disable this "feature" of IM?

    There's a thing called Windows Live Messenger Companion, which
    is described as an add_on for Internet Explorer.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Messenger_Companion#Messenger_Companion

    If that's what you're using, it's just as likely that Internet Explorer
    is reporting the suspicious site, or, some AV product you're using,
    is scanning for URLs and has identified the links using it's own
    peculiar sense of humor. So it might not necessarily be the Windows
    Live program doing it.

    If the dialog came from Windows Live Messenger, then that might be
    a Windows Live problem.

    Suffice to say, with so many pieces of bloated software involved,
    you could spend a lot of time trying to change the behavior. A web page
    I was reading a couple weeks ago, claims there are so many
    permutations and combinations of settings in the Registry,
    it amounts to a couple thousand settings for Internet Explorer
    security (zones and the like). And that makes it especially
    difficult for mere mortals to adjust any security settings
    they might be having problems with. It's not that the
    settings are particularly unique, just that you'd have to
    adjust a bunch of them, to effectively change one setting.
    And because the descriptions of what they do are so confusing,
    the odds of smacking just the right one with your whack-a-mole
    hammer, are pretty low.

    So right now, my money is on this being Messenger Companion,
    and the heart of the problem, is the convoluted security model
    of Internet Explorer.

    Paul
    I don't knowingly use IE for anything. The error comes up in the Live
    Messenger (V2011 Build 15.4.355.308), but it is Microsoft and I am a mere
    mortal <grin>
    Joe J, Jul 27, 2012