Windows Licensing question.

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Gaz, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Gaz

    Gaz Guest

    Question, I have customers wishing to upgrade to WinXP, from win98se and
    winme. sometimes, all they have is a floppy with the OS hidden on a secret
    partition

    Many of these PCs have recovery disks, and not original install disks. The
    customers clearly want the cheapest option. Which would be an upgrade.

    It is no problem to do an upgrade from an existin installed OS, just pop it
    in and let go. However, I always prefer to do clean installs, results in
    less support issues.

    If i do a clean install of an XP upgrade, it rightly asks me to put in an
    existing windows disk. It wont accept recovery disk, and it cant see the
    hidden partition.

    The obvious answer, is have an oem cd-r copy of the customers version of
    windows, which I as a matter of course for all windows. Am I breaking
    licensing rules by using my oem to upgrade, even if they have a COE?

    Morally of course not, the customer has paid for Win9X on his computer when
    he bought it, and this is a discount for those customers.
    However, how do Microsoft see it?
    Dont we pay for the License (as they keep telling us) and not the medium?
    And, how would I stand if I gave the customer a copy of an oem CD for the
    version of windows installed and licensed on his machine?

    Gaz

    Gaz, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Gaz

    techshare Guest

    "Gaz" <> wrote in message
    > Question, I have customers wishing to upgrade to WinXP, from win98se and
    > winme. sometimes, all they have is a floppy with the OS hidden on a secret
    > partition

    What do you mean by this?

    techshare, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Gaz

    Gaz Guest

    "techshare" <> wrote in message

    > "Gaz" <> wrote in message
    > > Question, I have customers wishing to upgrade to WinXP, from win98se and
    > > winme. sometimes, all they have is a floppy with the OS hidden on a

    secret
    > > partition

    > What do you mean by this?

    They have no original install disk, just either a recovery CD, or a floppy
    disk which activates a recovery image hidden on a partition on their Hard
    disk.

    When I install an OS, I always like to do a clean install (as the upgrade
    license allows). If the customer had the install CD, when performing the
    install, it would ask for the CD, just to check that you had the windows it
    is licensed to upgrade from.
    This is not possible, however on some customers computers.

    Easiest solution would be to do a complete recovery of their orginal
    software (via recovery disk or floppy), and then do a XP upgrade over it.

    Gaz

    Gaz, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Gaz

    techshare Guest

    You should be fine, provided you have sold them licenses for any NEW OS you
    are installing. This would include the XP "upgrade".

    I run into this problem all the time ... and I posted about it awhile back.
    I never got any clear replies ... so I am reluctant to "re-install" Windows
    on a machine unless the machine is already in some bootable state. In that
    case, I think it's obvious (along with a COA and/or original computer
    documentation) ... that the license is already available for that machine.
    In short, if you can get the Product key from the customer's drive ... you
    are probably OK. I refuse to use any key other than one provided by the
    customer's install or one they have purchased from me or someone else. That
    policy has pissed off just a few customers ... but I couldn't care less.
    When you run a computer business ... software piracy is NOT worth it. Also,
    you risk a lot more when you intentionally or inadvertently pirate software
    for a customer.

    techshare, Oct 7, 2003