Windows Licensing - OEM License but no CD?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I have ben offered a machine from a client who is closing shop and is
    clearing out their desktops.

    specs are good and so is price.

    It was bought with a WinXP Pro OEM license and the CoA is firmly stuck
    to the machine so all seems to be fine there (I know the vendor so I
    am not concerned).

    However, they have lost the original CDs that came with the machine.
    They *think* it would have been a 'recovery' CD (one of the ones that
    comes with eveything pre-installed in an image with the correct
    drivers etc for the machine).

    If I buy the machine from him, can I use one of our XP Pro CDs to
    install from? We have some OEM 'full' XP copies and also upgrade
    versions (plus some OEM CDs that are probably specific to their
    machines as described above).

    If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    machine I acquire, will it activate okay?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 17, 2006

  2. Alan

    EMB Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    > machine I acquire, will it activate okay?

    Probably. My OEm CD (supplied with a box of bits I assembled into a
    machine) will install with the CD key off Compaq desktop PC and IBM
    Thinkpad COAs. However when it comes time to run thru activation you
    end up having to phone MS and go sort it out the hard way, however they
    happily do this.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Mar 17, 2006

  3. Alan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have ben offered a machine from a client who is closing shop and is
    > clearing out their desktops.
    >
    > specs are good and so is price.
    >
    > It was bought with a WinXP Pro OEM license and the CoA is firmly stuck
    > to the machine so all seems to be fine there (I know the vendor so I
    > am not concerned).
    >
    > However, they have lost the original CDs that came with the machine.
    > They *think* it would have been a 'recovery' CD (one of the ones that
    > comes with eveything pre-installed in an image with the correct
    > drivers etc for the machine).
    >
    > If I buy the machine from him, can I use one of our XP Pro CDs to
    > install from? We have some OEM 'full' XP copies and also upgrade
    > versions (plus some OEM CDs that are probably specific to their
    > machines as described above).
    >
    > If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    > machine I acquire, will it activate okay?

    I think so Alan (as long as the key and the CD are the same version, as in
    XP, XPsp1 or XPsp2) but maybe one of the resident Microsoft emloyees will
    give you a definitive answer. However, your timing may be bad with the
    weekend upon us, I think they mainly post from work, (although Nathan has
    been known to post from home).

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 17, 2006
  4. Alan

    Thirsty Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have ben offered a machine from a client who is closing shop and is
    > clearing out their desktops.
    >
    > specs are good and so is price.
    >
    > It was bought with a WinXP Pro OEM license and the CoA is firmly stuck to
    > the machine so all seems to be fine there (I know the vendor so I am not
    > concerned).
    >
    > However, they have lost the original CDs that came with the machine. They
    > *think* it would have been a 'recovery' CD (one of the ones that comes
    > with eveything pre-installed in an image with the correct drivers etc for
    > the machine).
    >
    > If I buy the machine from him, can I use one of our XP Pro CDs to install
    > from? We have some OEM 'full' XP copies and also upgrade versions (plus
    > some OEM CDs that are probably specific to their machines as described
    > above).
    >
    > If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    > machine I acquire, will it activate okay?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.
    >
    > --
    >
    > The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
    > else associated with me.
    >
    > My current valid email address is:
    >

    > This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
    >
    > It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
    >
    > If you are trying to contact me after that time,
    > it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
    > deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
    > to contact me by email, try searching for a
    > more recent post by me to find my current
    > email address.
    >
    > The following is a (probably!) totally unique
    > and meaningless string of characters that you
    > can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
    >
    > ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Been there, done that a number of times. The sticker proves a valid license
    and where the media comes from to load the bits doesn't actually matter.
    Thirsty, Mar 17, 2006
  5. Alan

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <NaoSf.6702$>,
    "Alan" <> wrote:

    >If I buy the machine from him, can I use one of our XP Pro CDs to
    >install from? We have some OEM 'full' XP copies and also upgrade
    >versions (plus some OEM CDs that are probably specific to their
    >machines as described above).
    >
    >If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    >machine I acquire, will it activate okay?

    Technically, it'll probably work to use an OEM "full" copy to reinstall.
    Licensically, it's not allowed. The OEM EULA states that it is only valid
    for the specific OEM image that was licensed to the vendor who built the
    machine. Using any other image to reinstall invalidates the license. This
    has traditionally been honoured in the breach, and Microsoft appear to have
    turned a blind eye to it so long as the spirit of the license was met, if
    not the letter. (In short, no problem if you're just fixing a mate's busted
    machine, but could be a problem if you're clearing/reloading machines for
    resale.)

    I don't know if Microsoft can tell if such a reloaded XP machine is valid
    for reactivation or not. Maybe someone here has tried it?

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Mar 17, 2006
  6. Alan

    Jerry Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <NaoSf.6702$>,
    > "Alan" <> wrote:
    >
    >>If I buy the machine from him, can I use one of our XP Pro CDs to
    >>install from? We have some OEM 'full' XP copies and also upgrade
    >>versions (plus some OEM CDs that are probably specific to their
    >>machines as described above).
    >>
    >>If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    >>machine I acquire, will it activate okay?

    > Technically, it'll probably work to use an OEM "full" copy to reinstall.
    > Licensically, it's not allowed. The OEM EULA states that it is only valid
    > for the specific OEM image that was licensed to the vendor who built the
    > machine. Using any other image to reinstall invalidates the license. This
    > has traditionally been honoured in the breach, and Microsoft appear to have
    > turned a blind eye to it so long as the spirit of the license was met, if
    > not the letter. (In short, no problem if you're just fixing a mate's busted
    > machine, but could be a problem if you're clearing/reloading machines for
    > resale.)
    >
    > I don't know if Microsoft can tell if such a reloaded XP machine is valid
    > for reactivation or not. Maybe someone here has tried it?

    I've founhd that if you tell them exactly what you have done, and there
    is a sticker stuck to the machine, they will validate it. I've never
    been turned down on the phone for validation, and I haven't lied to them.
    Jerry, Mar 17, 2006
  7. Alan

    Jerry Guest

    Thirsty wrote:
    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>I have ben offered a machine from a client who is closing shop and is
    >>clearing out their desktops.
    >>
    >>specs are good and so is price.
    >>
    >>It was bought with a WinXP Pro OEM license and the CoA is firmly stuck to
    >>the machine so all seems to be fine there (I know the vendor so I am not
    >>concerned).
    >>
    >>However, they have lost the original CDs that came with the machine. They
    >>*think* it would have been a 'recovery' CD (one of the ones that comes
    >>with eveything pre-installed in an image with the correct drivers etc for
    >>the machine).
    >>
    >>If I buy the machine from him, can I use one of our XP Pro CDs to install
    >>from? We have some OEM 'full' XP copies and also upgrade versions (plus
    >>some OEM CDs that are probably specific to their machines as described
    >>above).
    >>
    >>If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    >>machine I acquire, will it activate okay?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Alan.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
    >>else associated with me.
    >>
    >>My current valid email address is:
    >>

    >>This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
    >>
    >>It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
    >>
    >>If you are trying to contact me after that time,
    >>it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
    >>deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
    >>to contact me by email, try searching for a
    >>more recent post by me to find my current
    >>email address.
    >>
    >>The following is a (probably!) totally unique
    >>and meaningless string of characters that you
    >>can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
    >>
    >>ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    >>

    > Been there, done that a number of times. The sticker proves a valid license
    > and where the media comes from to load the bits doesn't actually matter.

    Same here, if the sticker hasn't been used on another computer, you will
    be ok for validation whatever disk you use.
    Jerry, Mar 17, 2006
  8. Alan

    A Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:37:02 +1300, Jerry <>
    wrote:

    >Don Hills wrote:
    >> In article <NaoSf.6702$>,
    >> "Alan" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If I buy the machine from him, can I use one of our XP Pro CDs to
    >>>install from? We have some OEM 'full' XP copies and also upgrade
    >>>versions (plus some OEM CDs that are probably specific to their
    >>>machines as described above).
    >>>
    >>>If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    >>>machine I acquire, will it activate okay?

    >> Technically, it'll probably work to use an OEM "full" copy to reinstall.
    >> Licensically, it's not allowed. The OEM EULA states that it is only valid
    >> for the specific OEM image that was licensed to the vendor who built the
    >> machine. Using any other image to reinstall invalidates the license. This
    >> has traditionally been honoured in the breach, and Microsoft appear to have
    >> turned a blind eye to it so long as the spirit of the license was met, if
    >> not the letter. (In short, no problem if you're just fixing a mate's busted
    >> machine, but could be a problem if you're clearing/reloading machines for
    >> resale.)
    >>
    >> I don't know if Microsoft can tell if such a reloaded XP machine is valid
    >> for reactivation or not. Maybe someone here has tried it?
    >>

    >I've founhd that if you tell them exactly what you have done, and there
    >is a sticker stuck to the machine, they will validate it. I've never
    >been turned down on the phone for validation, and I haven't lied to them.

    I've heard (but can someone confirm) that the 90 day evaluation CD's
    of Windows are the full version but with a 90 day product key
    A, Mar 17, 2006
  9. Alan

    Jerry Guest

    A wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:37:02 +1300, Jerry <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Don Hills wrote:

    >>>Technically, it'll probably work to use an OEM "full" copy to reinstall.
    >>>Licensically, it's not allowed. The OEM EULA states that it is only valid
    >>>for the specific OEM image that was licensed to the vendor who built the
    >>>machine. Using any other image to reinstall invalidates the license. This
    >>>has traditionally been honoured in the breach, and Microsoft appear to have
    >>>turned a blind eye to it so long as the spirit of the license was met, if
    >>>not the letter. (In short, no problem if you're just fixing a mate's busted
    >>>machine, but could be a problem if you're clearing/reloading machines for
    >>>resale.)
    >>>
    >>>I don't know if Microsoft can tell if such a reloaded XP machine is valid
    >>>for reactivation or not. Maybe someone here has tried it?
    >>>

    >>I've founhd that if you tell them exactly what you have done, and there
    >>is a sticker stuck to the machine, they will validate it. I've never
    >>been turned down on the phone for validation, and I haven't lied to them.

    > I've heard (but can someone confirm) that the 90 day evaluation CD's
    > of Windows are the full version but with a 90 day product key

    I would imagine so. Back a few years ago, you could put the service
    pack on

    NT4 server evaluation, and it would become a full version. That hole has

    long since been plugged though
    Jerry, Mar 17, 2006
  10. Alan

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>, Jerry <> wrote:

    >Same here, if the sticker hasn't been used on another computer, you will
    >be ok for validation whatever disk you use.

    Thanks for the data point. I wonder what the response would be if you were
    reloading several hundred old desktops prior to selling them off from your
    business? The provision for Microsoft to refuse to reactivate does exist in
    the EULA, even though they don't appear to enforce it.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Mar 17, 2006
  11. Alan

    Stu Fleming Guest

    I heard that the definition was "purchase of one internal peripheral"
    qualifies as OEM.
    Stu Fleming, Mar 17, 2006
  12. Alan

    Richard Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    > machine I acquire, will it activate okay?

    I had to call them when I did that, but they were only too happy to help out and
    were very fast and polite, and Im sure they understood my pain when I said I had
    a compaq laptop with so much pre-installed junk that it was the easier way to
    get a clean system then uninstalling all of the compaq nonsense to sell me toner
    or to make stupid keys work etc..
    Richard, Mar 17, 2006
  13. Alan

    SteveM Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have ben offered a machine from a client who is closing shop and is
    > clearing out their desktops.
    >
    > specs are good and so is price.
    >
    > It was bought with a WinXP Pro OEM license and the CoA is firmly stuck
    > to the machine so all seems to be fine there (I know the vendor so I
    > am not concerned).
    >
    > However, they have lost the original CDs that came with the machine.
    > They *think* it would have been a 'recovery' CD (one of the ones that
    > comes with eveything pre-installed in an image with the correct
    > drivers etc for the machine).
    >
    > If I buy the machine from him, can I use one of our XP Pro CDs to
    > install from? We have some OEM 'full' XP copies and also upgrade
    > versions (plus some OEM CDs that are probably specific to their
    > machines as described above).
    >
    > If I use one of our OEM 'full' CDs and use the Product Key from the
    > machine I acquire, will it activate okay?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    If it is a recently built machine with XP SP2 on it then the key on the
    sticker will let you install the OS but will not automatically validate (as
    already mentioned by others).

    MS changed the Codes on the stickers to stop people using the standard
    install CD's and using the sticker code on another machine.

    OEM restore CDs created by the large OEM's like Dell HP etc only use one XP
    key. (Think about it, they are not going to make a Different restore CD for
    each individual machine)

    It's easy to find out the OEM key for each OEM by using an XP Key finder.

    Each OEM also has several files on the install CD which are specific to
    that OEM and is related to the BIOS of that machine.

    So....if you can find out the OEM key for your hardware and can get a copy
    of the files you need to inject into a standard OEM iso image (the one
    smaller oem's use) you can create your own oem install CD (specific to
    your OEM). I have done this several times for clients who want a standard
    install without all the OEM crap.

    So find a machine the same as yours, get the XP cd key out of it, get the
    required files and replace the existing ones in a standard OEM ISO image
    and away you go........

    For more specific info search www.msfn.org

    SteveM
    SteveM, Mar 19, 2006