Windows Licenses - Which number is what?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    This is more 'out of interest' than a specific problem.

    I note that, on our machines there is a CoA sticker that has a Product
    Key on it (WinXP asks for this when I setup the machine).

    The Product Key is 25 alpha-numeric characters in 5 blocks of 5.

    Once the machine is setup, if I select properties of My Computer, the
    'Registered To' section tells me name, company, and another number
    which is 20 numeric characters arranged in blocks of 5-3-7-5.

    What are these two numbers? What are they each for? Is one the
    Windows License number? If so, which one?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Alan

    PC Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All,
    >
    > This is more 'out of interest' than a specific problem.
    >
    > I note that, on our machines there is a CoA sticker that has a Product Key
    > on it (WinXP asks for this when I setup the machine).
    >
    > The Product Key is 25 alpha-numeric characters in 5 blocks of 5.
    >
    > Once the machine is setup, if I select properties of My Computer, the
    > 'Registered To' section tells me name, company, and another number which
    > is 20 numeric characters arranged in blocks of 5-3-7-5.
    >
    > What are these two numbers? What are they each for? Is one the Windows
    > License number? If so, which one?

    Snip

    Alan

    My guess would be the number that shows on the Properties of My Computer is
    derived from the original CoA number by a bit of mathmatics.
    What algorithym and other factors used to reach the second number is of
    course part of the 'Obscurity' that MS hopes will keep XP tightly tied to
    their coat tails.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Alan

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in

    > My guess would be the number that shows on the Properties of My
    > Computer is derived from the original CoA number by a bit of
    > mathmatics. What algorithym and other factors used to reach the second
    > number is of course part of the 'Obscurity' that MS hopes will keep XP
    > tightly tied to their coat tails.

    There are tools do undo the math.
    This is one of many.

    Ciao, Dave