windows license details - how to change :-(

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dave thomas, Jun 14, 2007.

  1. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name as the
    license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint presentation to her
    bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says licensed to *******

    she's asked me to sort it for her. and i cant :-(

    ive found a little prog on the net that i used, but that just changes
    registration details, and renames some folders etc.

    i uninstalled office, and installed it again, and it said registered to
    vicky, as i wanted. but still when you open the prog, it says licensed to
    *******

    so theres obviously a difference between registered to and licensed to.
    anyone kow how i can change it? i suspect its in the registry somewhere,
    but its on her laptop, and when i type regedit into 'run', it says windows
    cannot find this file.

    im struggling here. anyone know how to solve it?

    thanks a lot

    dave

    dave thomas, Jun 14, 2007

  2. dave thomas wrote:
    > a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name as the
    > license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint presentation to her
    > bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says licensed to *******
    >
    > she's asked me to sort it for her. and i cant :-(
    >
    > ive found a little prog on the net that i used, but that just changes
    > registration details, and renames some folders etc.
    >
    > i uninstalled office, and installed it again, and it said registered to
    > vicky, as i wanted. but still when you open the prog, it says licensed to
    > *******
    >
    > so theres obviously a difference between registered to and licensed to.
    > anyone kow how i can change it? i suspect its in the registry somewhere,
    > but its on her laptop, and when i type regedit into 'run', it says windows
    > cannot find this file.
    >
    > im struggling here. anyone know how to solve it?

    When you type in regedit click on the Browse button to have it look in
    the Windows directory. In some cases you need to type in regedit.exe to
    get it to run. It should be there if the asshole didn't delete the
    program. When it opens look for the offensive name by doing a search
    (Ctrl + F). Hit F2 to look for more instances, replace each one.

    If regedit isn't there, you can replace regedit from the Windows disk or
    another machine.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 14, 2007

  3. dave thomas

    John Holmes Guest

    dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name as
    > the license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint presentation to
    > her bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says licensed to *******
    >
    > she's asked me to sort it for her. and i cant :-(
    >
    > ive found a little prog on the net that i used, but that just changes
    > registration details, and renames some folders etc.
    >
    > i uninstalled office, and installed it again, and it said registered
    > to vicky, as i wanted. but still when you open the prog, it says
    > licensed to *******
    >
    > so theres obviously a difference between registered to and licensed
    > to. anyone kow how i can change it? i suspect its in the registry
    > somewhere, but its on her laptop, and when i type regedit into 'run',
    > it says windows cannot find this file.
    >
    > im struggling here. anyone know how to solve it?
    >
    > thanks a lot
    >
    > dave

    Follow Roger's (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) advise. If that
    fails, try start>run>regedt32.exe which is pretty much the same. Cross your
    fingers the assfucker didn't delete that, too. But then again, it's always
    possible to recover the files from the installation CD or another computer,
    like Roger (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) suggested.
    HTH

    --
    Your mother was a terrifying fast-food restaurant worker who used to do
    unmentionable things to chickens in a home for the terminally short of

    John Holmes, Jun 14, 2007
  4. dave thomas

    Guest

    you'll need to navigate to:
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version

    Once you have reached the Current Version key take a look in the Right
    Hand Pane and look for 'Registered Owner'
    Right click the Registered Owner key to edit it
    To edit the key Right click the entry and select Modify

    You may simply have lost regedit.com, so typing regedit.exe as
    previously suggested should sort that out.

    , Jun 14, 2007
  5. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    thanks chaps

    unfortunately i cant find it still. not in the windows folder on laptop,
    and i cant find it on xp cd either :-(

    put in the search and point it at cd, but it seems to want me to keep going
    through folders until i find it. looked in system, setup and windows
    folders but nothing. also done a search for it on the whole cd but nothing.

    reckon i might have to transfer the file from my pc to a cd mebbes?

    thanks

    dave thomas, Jun 14, 2007
  6. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    no, tried everything, regedit, regedit.exe, regedit32, and regedit32.exe.

    nothing. not even on the cd!!!!

    ill transfer it onto my cd now, then stick it in laptop and try.

    cheers

    dave thomas, Jun 14, 2007
  7. dave thomas

    Guest

    http://www.kwakkelflap.com/regxplor.html
    Download and install that program.

    Once it's installed, run "Registry" from your desktop, then copy and
    paste "Registry\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT
    \CurrentVersion" into the address bar (no quotes).

    Scroll down to the bottom and locate "RegisteredOwner" then right
    click and edit.

    , Jun 14, 2007

  9. dave thomas

    John Holmes Guest

    dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name
    >>> as the license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint
    >>> presentation to her bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says
    >>> licensed to *******
    >>>
    >>> she's asked me to sort it for her. and i cant :-(
    >>>
    >>> ive found a little prog on the net that i used, but that just
    >>> changes registration details, and renames some folders etc.
    >>>
    >>> i uninstalled office, and installed it again, and it said registered
    >>> to vicky, as i wanted. but still when you open the prog, it says
    >>> licensed to *******
    >>>
    >>> so theres obviously a difference between registered to and licensed
    >>> to. anyone kow how i can change it? i suspect its in the registry
    >>> somewhere, but its on her laptop, and when i type regedit into
    >>> 'run', it says windows cannot find this file.
    >>>
    >>> im struggling here. anyone know how to solve it?
    >>>
    >>> thanks a lot
    >>>
    >>> dave
    >>>

    >> Follow Roger's (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) advise. If
    >> that fails, try start>run>regedt32.exe which is pretty much the same.
    >> Cross your
    >> fingers the assfucker didn't delete that, too. But then again, it's
    >> always possible to recover the files from the installation CD or
    >> another computer,
    >> like Roger (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) suggested.
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> --
    >> Your mother was a terrifying fast-food restaurant worker who used to
    >> do unmentionable things to chickens in a home for the terminally
    >> short of cash.
    >>

    > thanks chaps
    >
    > unfortunately i cant find it still. not in the windows folder on
    > laptop, and i cant find it on xp cd either :-(
    >
    > put in the search and point it at cd, but it seems to want me to keep
    > going through folders until i find it. looked in system, setup and
    > windows folders but nothing. also done a search for it on the whole
    > cd but nothing.
    >
    > reckon i might have to transfer the file from my pc to a cd mebbes?
    >
    > thanks

    It's right there on the XP installation CD, in the folder I386 unless you
    have some flaky or pirated XP installation CD. Copy the file
    "regedit.exe" to the HD in %windir% or %windir%\system32.

    --
    Your mother was a fornicating computer programmer who copulated with
    anyone and anything in an industrial mining complex.

    John Holmes, Jun 14, 2007
  10. dave thomas

    John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > http://www.kwakkelflap.com/regxplor.html
    > Download and install that program.
    >
    > Once it's installed, run "Registry" from your desktop, then copy and
    > paste "Registry\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT
    > \CurrentVersion" into the address bar (no quotes).
    >
    > Scroll down to the bottom and locate "RegisteredOwner" then right
    > click and edit.

    IMHO, I wouldn't advise newbies to use a program like that.

    --
    Your mother was a big-nosed block of concrete who spent most of her life
    in shopping centres.

    John Holmes, Jun 14, 2007
  11. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    ive transferred regedit over to laptop, and did a 'find'. found loads of
    cases of ****** and changed them all to 'vicky'

    and i cant believe its still coming up when i open powerpoint!!!!!! did
    another search on ***** and theres no cases of it in registry. yet it still
    comes up with it!!!!!

    powered down, then back up, and its STILL saying licensed to ******

    will that other prog thats been recommended here fix that? you say newbies
    shouldnt useit?

    is it a bit more technical than regedit?

    thanks a lot

    dave thomas, Jun 14, 2007
  12. dave thomas

    Guest

    , Jun 14, 2007
  13. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    dave thomas, Jun 14, 2007
  14. dave thomas

    John Holmes Guest

    dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.kwakkelflap.com/regxplor.html
    >> Download and install that program.
    >>
    >> Once it's installed, run "Registry" from your desktop, then copy and
    >> paste "Registry\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT
    >> \CurrentVersion" into the address bar (no quotes).
    >>
    >> Scroll down to the bottom and locate "RegisteredOwner" then right
    >> click and edit.
    >>

    > ive transferred regedit over to laptop, and did a 'find'. found loads
    > of cases of ****** and changed them all to 'vicky'
    >
    > and i cant believe its still coming up when i open powerpoint!!!!!!
    > did another search on ***** and theres no cases of it in registry.
    > yet it still comes up with it!!!!!
    >
    > powered down, then back up, and its STILL saying licensed to ******
    >
    > will that other prog thats been recommended here fix that? you say
    > newbies shouldnt useit?
    >
    > is it a bit more technical than regedit?
    >
    > thanks a lot

    We might be of any more help if you tell us what exactly is behind
    ******? It's OK to mention that in this froup. There are mo minors here.
    (Evan Platt is, but he's also addicted to crack, as he admitted some time
    ago...)

    --
    Your mother was an epileptic ice-cream seller who paraded herself naked
    in a rubber-walled room.

    John Holmes, Jun 14, 2007
  15. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    ok mate, its licensed to big cock ;-)

    could that help any tho :-/

    dave thomas, Jun 14, 2007
  16. dave thomas

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:30:55 +0000, dave thomas wrote:

    > ok mate, its licensed to big cock ;-)

    John Holmes should know all about THAT :)

    > could that help any tho :-/

    Well now I've had a chuckle. That always helps :)

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)

    Aardvark, Jun 14, 2007
  17. dave thomas

    Guest

    "dave thomas" <> wrote:

    >a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name as the
    >license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint presentation to her
    >bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says licensed to *******

    The user name could be hardwired into the powerpoint Presentation.
    --

    Caught by the camera...
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=52qjv51

    , Jun 14, 2007
  18. dave thomas

    dave thomas Guest

    just had another look and what im trying to do i spose is.......if you open
    powerpoint/word/excel etc, and then click help and 'about
    powerpoint'............it says 'licensed to big cock'.

    now if any of you clever chaps can change the 'licensed to...' value on your
    pc's then please let me know how its done :)

    thanks a lot

    dave thomas, Jun 14, 2007
  19. dave thomas

    John Holmes Guest

    dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> ive transferred regedit over to laptop, and did a 'find'. found
    >>> loads of cases of ****** and changed them all to 'vicky'
    >>>
    >>> and i cant believe its still coming up when i open powerpoint!!!!!!
    >>> did another search on ***** and theres no cases of it in registry.
    >>> yet it still comes up with it!!!!!
    >>>
    >>> powered down, then back up, and its STILL saying licensed to ******
    >>>
    >>> will that other prog thats been recommended here fix that? you say
    >>> newbies shouldnt useit?
    >>>
    >>> is it a bit more technical than regedit?
    >>>
    >>> thanks a lot

    >> We might be of any more help if you tell us what exactly is behind
    >> ******? It's OK to mention that in this froup. There are mo minors
    >> here. (Evan Platt is, but he's also addicted to crack, as he admitted
    >> some time ago...)
    >>

    > ok mate, its licensed to big cock ;-)
    >
    > could that help any tho :-/
    >
    > thanks

    PSML

    --
    Your mother was a frantic offender who paraded herself nude on a canal
    boat.

    John Holmes, Jun 14, 2007
  20. dave thomas

    Guest

    "dave thomas" <> wrote:

    >just had another look and what im trying to do i spose is.......if you open
    >powerpoint/word/excel etc, and then click help and 'about
    >powerpoint'............it says 'licensed to big cock'.
    >
    >now if any of you clever chaps can change the 'licensed to...' value on your
    >pc's then please let me know how its done :)

    Open Office does Powerpoint
    http://www.openoffice.org/

    But the user info might be hardwired into the PP file itself, I've
    never created a PP, but a word doc has all your user info hardwired
    into it.

    Recreate it or use a hex editor and edit the info in the PP file
    itself.