Windows keep shutting down

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SgtMinor, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. SgtMinor

    SgtMinor Guest

    Larry wrote:
    > Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
    > OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
    > Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
    > (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
    > CD. Anyone have an idea.
    > Please Help, Thank You, Larry

    Is the CPU fan working? Excess heat will cause the system to shut down.

    BTW, check your system's clock/calendar - it's ahead by a couple of days.

    SgtMinor, Dec 16, 2004

    Gordon Stenberg, Dec 16, 2004

  3. maby is a virus

    Gordon Stenberg, Dec 16, 2004
  4. SgtMinor

    Ron Martell Guest

    Larry <> wrote:

    >Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
    >OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
    >Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
    >(not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
    >CD. Anyone have an idea.
    > Please Help, Thank You, Larry

    I agree with SgtMinor - it has all of the symptoms of an overheating
    problem.

    Make absolutely certain that you have a proper heat sink pad or a thin
    layer of good quality heat sink compound between the CPU and the heat
    sink, and that the heat sink & cooling fan are securely latched into
    place.

    Go into the BIOS setup for your motherboard and browse through the
    various detail categories to locate the motherboard monitoring
    functions. Make certain that these are activate and that alarms are
    set for CPU overheat (70 degrees Celsius is the hottest you want to
    see the CPU running at if it is an AMD, 65 degrees if it is an Intel
    model).

    If your CPU is overheating then the prime suspects are:
    1. Overclocking. Make sure your CPU is only running at the rated
    speed.
    2. Improper voltages. Make sure that any motherboard jumpers are set
    properly for your specific CPU make and model and/or that the BIOS
    configuration for these is set to "auto detect" and is working
    properly.
    3. Improper installation of fan and heatsink. See the opening
    paragraph.
    4. Inadequate fan and heatsink. Check the manufacturer's specs for
    your cooling fan model and ensure that it is actually intended for
    your make and model of CPU. I have seen systems get into similar
    problems to yours because the cooling fan was intended for a maximum 2
    ghz CPU and it was installed on a 2.8 ghz model.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 17, 2004
  5. SgtMinor

    Voltardo Guest

    Larry wrote:

    > Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
    > OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
    > Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
    > (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
    > CD. Anyone have an idea.
    > Please Help, Thank You, Larry

    If my Windows would shut down it wouldn't be a bad thing because then, I
    could drag my ass out of this chair and go pursue a little exercise.
    BTW, nice job on the PC build. Hope you soon get it working right.

    Voltardo, Dec 17, 2004
  6. "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
    > OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
    > Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts down
    > (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to download from a
    > CD. Anyone have an idea.
    > Please Help, Thank You, Larry

    Brand new, huh? I'd say that *if* you have the heatsink and fan installed
    correctly on your processor (thermal pad -- with the tape removed of
    course -- , thermal grease or thermal compound and the base of the heatsink
    seated properly against the processor), the most likely explanation is that
    you have a defective or insufficient power supply. Bad power supplies are
    common, especially if they're one of the cheapies. In fact, I think the
    power supply is the most likely cause of what you have listed here.

    Oxford Systems, Dec 17, 2004
  7. SgtMinor

    Jonah Guest

    Run the latest antivirus check. GO to an online site and run their online
    AV check. Sounds viral to me. Try http://housecall.trendmicro.com as an
    example.

    Jonah, Dec 18, 2004
  8. SgtMinor

    The Prophecy Guest

    Larry wrote:
    > Have just built PC. New MB, CPU,& RAM 2 sticks 512 SD RAM PC133.
    > OS is windows XP pro w/SP2.
    > Everything starts and runs, however, after a few min. windows shuts
    > down (not even a dos screen). This also happens when I try to
    > download from a CD. Anyone have an idea.
    > Please Help, Thank You, Larry

    There are a couple of possible explanations.

    1. You are having a heat problem. Make sure the processor heatsink is seated
    properly and ALL case fans are working. Also make sure that your case does
    not smell like burning silicon.

    2. (If possible) Run a virus scan.

    Larry, Dec 18, 2004