Windows is soooo slow at shutting down

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by balikitty, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. balikitty

    balikitty Guest

    I have read somewhere before of an easier way to close down windows. I
    have xp with i.e. When I end up with a lot of programs open, it
    takes forever to shut them down. I think there is another way, you go
    to control panel. type this is where i get stuck. Does anyone know of
    an easier way? or is the way i just mentioned not a safe way to close
    out. I believe you go somewhere in memory, or type memory after you
    hit run. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

    When I have numerous programs open, when I try to shut them down it
    takes forever. I have windows xp, i.e. I think there is a way to go
    to control panel, run, and then type ????. This is where im stuck.
    Does anyone know of a way to do this that is faster? And if it is the
    method Im thinking of, Is this safe? Thanks much.
    balikitty, Mar 4, 2008

  2. balikitty wrote:

    > I have read somewhere before of an easier way to close down windows. I
    > have xp with i.e. When I end up with a lot of programs open, it
    > takes forever to shut them down. I think there is another way, you go
    > to control panel. type this is where i get stuck. Does anyone know of
    > an easier way? or is the way i just mentioned not a safe way to close
    > out. I believe you go somewhere in memory, or type memory after you
    > hit run. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    >

    > When I have numerous programs open, when I try to shut them down it
    > takes forever. I have windows xp, i.e. I think there is a way to go
    > to control panel, run, and then type ????. This is where im stuck.
    > Does anyone know of a way to do this that is faster? And if it is the
    > method Im thinking of, Is this safe? Thanks much.

    The quickest way to shutdown windows is to unplug the computer.

    --

    Jerry McBride ()
    Jerry McBride, Mar 5, 2008

  3. balikitty

    Guest

    , Mar 5, 2008
  4. balikitty

    catchme Guest

    balikitty wrote:
    > I have read somewhere before of an easier way to close down windows. I
    > have xp with i.e. When I end up with a lot of programs open, it
    > takes forever to shut them down. I think there is another way, you go
    > to control panel. type this is where i get stuck. Does anyone know of
    > an easier way? or is the way i just mentioned not a safe way to close
    > out. I believe you go somewhere in memory, or type memory after you
    > hit run. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    >

    > When I have numerous programs open, when I try to shut them down it
    > takes forever. I have windows xp, i.e. I think there is a way to go
    > to control panel, run, and then type ????. This is where im stuck.
    > Does anyone know of a way to do this that is faster? And if it is the
    > method Im thinking of, Is this safe? Thanks much.

    ctrl. alt. delete. opens task manager
    select running applications and press end program.
    or go to processes and stop processes for each application running.
    this is a short learning curve, figuring the correct processes, but it
    is faster than trying to quit an application any other way.
    if you get "this program is not responding" several times, then you have
    likely not saved any time.
    catchme, Mar 5, 2008
  5. balikitty

    M.L. Guest

    >> I have read somewhere before of an easier way to close down windows.
    >> I have xp with i.e. When I end up with a lot of programs open, it
    >> takes forever to shut them down. I think there is another way, you
    >> go to control panel. type this is where i get stuck. Does anyone
    >> know of an easier way? or is the way i just mentioned not a safe way
    >> to close out. I believe you go somewhere in memory, or type memory
    >> after you hit run. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

    >> When I have numerous programs open, when I try to shut them down it
    >> takes forever. I have windows xp, i.e. I think there is a way to go
    >> to control panel, run, and then type ????. This is where im stuck.
    >> Does anyone know of a way to do this that is faster? And if it is the
    >> method Im thinking of, Is this safe? Thanks much.

    > The quickest way to shutdown windows is to unplug the computer.

    That's also the easiest way to corrupt system files on your computer.
    M.L., Mar 5, 2008
  6. On Mar 5, 9:08 am, "M.L." <> wrote:
    > >> I have read somewhere before of an easier way to close down windows.
    > >> I have xp with i.e.  When I end up with a lot  of programs open, it
    > >> takes forever to shut them down.  I think there is another way, you
    > >> go to control panel. type this is where i get stuck. Does anyone
    > >> know of an easier way? or is the way i just mentioned not a safe way
    > >> to close out. I believe you go somewhere in memory, or type memory
    > >> after you hit run. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    > >> When I have numerous programs open, when I try to shut them down it
    > >> takes forever. I have windows xp, i.e.  I think there is a way to go
    > >> to control panel, run, and then type ????. This is where im stuck.
    > >> Does anyone know of a way to do this that is faster? And if it is the
    > >> method Im thinking of, Is this safe? Thanks much.

    > > The quickest way to shutdown windows is to unplug the computer.

    > That's also the easiest way to corrupt system files on your computer.

    Amen I have used computers for a long while and maybe it's because
    windows is just getting more complex since the days of windows
    3.11+dos6.22 when I started out but man.

    I just had a windows 2000 professional machine get unplugged, just
    once! After that the automated repair procedures, didn't work, safe
    mode didn't work, booting off a system disk for another computer
    didnt' work. Hell the only thing that *did* work was using tools from
    a web site to create an "official" windows 2000 installation set of
    floppies and even then it didn't work on the standard repair setup. It
    had to work on "emergency recovery" to get that to work. In addition
    the 'regular' part didn't work and had to have my repeatedly hit
    escape (and hold it) to avoid the supposed requirement to have an
    installation cd.

    And this is watching all machines Ultrix, Linux, XP, and other 2000
    machines
    Phillip. J. San, Mar 5, 2008
  7. balikitty

    Alang Guest

    05/03/2008 Phillip. J. San wrote:

    > > windows. >> I have xp with i.e.  When I end up with a lot  of
    > > programs open, it >> takes forever to shut them down.  I think
    > > there is another way, you >> go to control panel. type this is
    > > where i get stuck. Does anyone >> know of an easier way? or is
    > > the way i just mentioned not a safe way >> to close out. I
    > > believe you go somewhere in memory, or type memory >> after you
    > > hit run. Any help is appreciated, thanks. >> When I have
    > > numerous programs open, when I try to shut them down it >> takes
    > > forever. I have windows xp, i.e.  I think there is a way to go >>
    > > to control panel, run, and then type ????. This is where im
    > > stuck. >> Does anyone know of a way to do this that is faster?
    > > And if it is the >> method Im thinking of, Is this safe? Thanks
    > > much.
    > >
    > > > The quickest way to shutdown windows is to unplug the computer.

    > > That's also the easiest way to corrupt system files on your
    > > computer.

    > Amen I have used computers for a long while and maybe it's because
    > windows is just getting more complex since the days of windows
    > 3.11+dos6.22 when I started out but man.
    >
    > I just had a windows 2000 professional machine get unplugged, just
    > once! After that the automated repair procedures, didn't work, safe
    > mode didn't work, booting off a system disk for another computer
    > didnt' work. Hell the only thing that did work was using tools from
    > a web site to create an "official" windows 2000 installation set of
    > floppies and even then it didn't work on the standard repair setup.
    > It had to work on "emergency recovery" to get that to work. In
    > addition the 'regular' part didn't work and had to have my
    > repeatedly hit escape (and hold it) to avoid the supposed
    > requirement to have an installation cd.

    Just happened to me on a W2k machine. Power outage and when I
    rebooted no mouse or keyboard. Fortunately I keep a disk image and
    had it up and running again in less than an hour. First time it
    happened it took me seven hours to renstall everything.

    Alang, Mar 5, 2008
  8. balikitty

    Guest

    "Alang" <> wrote:

    >> I just had a windows 2000 professional machine get unplugged, just
    >> once! After that the automated repair procedures, didn't work, safe
    >> mode didn't work, booting off a system disk for another computer
    >> didnt' work. Hell the only thing that did work was using tools from
    >> a web site to create an "official" windows 2000 installation set of
    >> floppies and even then it didn't work on the standard repair setup.
    >> It had to work on "emergency recovery" to get that to work. In
    >> addition the 'regular' part didn't work and had to have my
    >> repeatedly hit escape (and hold it) to avoid the supposed
    >> requirement to have an installation cd.

    >Just happened to me on a W2k machine. Power outage and when I
    >rebooted no mouse or keyboard. Fortunately I keep a disk image and
    >had it up and running again in less than an hour. First time it
    >happened it took me seven hours to renstall everything.

    With the AmigA you could just shut it down at anytime, no cache.

    But if you shut it down on a disk write, sometimes the heads would
    dive into the platters. It was rare but it would happen.
    --

    NASA captures dynamic Martian avalanche
    www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/multimedia/mro20080303a.html
  9. balikitty

    Alang Guest

    05/03/2008 wrote:

    > "Alang" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> I just had a windows 2000 professional machine get unplugged,

    > just >> once! After that the automated repair procedures, didn't
    > work, safe >> mode didn't work, booting off a system disk for
    > another computer >> didnt' work. Hell the only thing that did work
    > was using tools from >> a web site to create an "official" windows
    > 2000 installation set of >> floppies and even then it didn't work
    > on the standard repair setup. >> It had to work on "emergency
    > recovery" to get that to work. In >> addition the 'regular' part
    > didn't work and had to have my >> repeatedly hit escape (and hold
    > it) to avoid the supposed >> requirement to have an installation cd.
    >
    > > Just happened to me on a W2k machine. Power outage and when I
    > > rebooted no mouse or keyboard. Fortunately I keep a disk image and
    > > had it up and running again in less than an hour. First time it
    > > happened it took me seven hours to renstall everything.

    > With the AmigA you could just shut it down at anytime, no cache.
    >
    > But if you shut it down on a disk write, sometimes the heads would
    > dive into the platters. It was rare but it would happen.

    Never had it happen on anything other than a W2000 machine in over 30
    years.
    Alang, Mar 6, 2008