    unless I turn the power off. Other than that the system works fine. What
    could it be that is making it hang there? Anybody know? If you do how do I
    fix it.

    Big D, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Big D

    Dennis H. Guest

    I would go into msconfig and uncheck EVERYTHING in the startup tab. Restart
    the system and see if this makes a difference. Go back into msconfig and
    check the items one at a time starting with your anti-virus software and
    reboot. Do the items one at a time to see which one isn't shutting down
    properly.
    If you don't know how to start msconfig, click on Start, Run and type in
    msconfig and click OK. Click on the Startup tab to see the items in your
    startup.

    "Big D" <> wrote in message
    > I am Running Windows 98 Se. The computer says Windows is shutting down but
    > it rarely does. It will just hang there at the shutdown screen

    indefinately

    Dennis H., Oct 10, 2004

  3. Big D

    GWB Guest

    "Dennis H." <> wrote in message
    >I would go into msconfig and uncheck EVERYTHING in the startup tab. Restart
    > the system and see if this makes a difference. Go back into msconfig and
    > check the items one at a time starting with your anti-virus software and
    > reboot. Do the items one at a time to see which one isn't shutting down
    > properly.
    > If you don't know how to start msconfig, click on Start, Run and type in
    > msconfig and click OK. Click on the Startup tab to see the items in your
    > startup.
    >
    > "Big D" <> wrote in message
    >> I am Running Windows 98 Se. The computer says Windows is shutting down
    >> but
    >> it rarely does. It will just hang there at the shutdown screen

    > indefinately
    >> unless I turn the power off. Other than that the system works fine. What
    >> could it be that is making it hang there? Anybody know? If you do how do
    >> fix it.

    Have you gone to the Windows Update site? When they first released W98se
    there was a shutdown issue causing it to hang on shut down and there was a
    patch released to fix it:

    a.. Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

    SYMPTOMS
    You may experience any of the following symptoms when you select an option
    in the Shut Down Windows dialog box.
    a.. If you click Shut down and then click OK, the computer may stop
    responding (hang) while displaying the following message:
    Windows is shutting down.
    b.. If you click Restart in MS-DOS mode and then click OK, the computer
    may hang while displaying a blank screen.
    c.. If you click Shut down or Restart in MS-DOS mode and then click OK
    with fast shutdown enabled, the computer may restart instead of shutting
    down.
    CAUSE
    This problem can occur because:
    a.. The computer could hang at the shutdown screen intermittently, because
    the Apmbatt.sys component is not responding to the system shutdown
    notification from the operating system and could enter an endless loop.

    -or-
    b.. The computer could hang with a black screen because of the method in
    which IRQ holders for the video adapter are configured at boot time and
    disabled during shutdown by the Pci.vxd component.

    -or-
    c.. The fast shutdown option modified by Msconfig.exe contains a code path
    in which the computer could reboot instead of properly shutting down or
    quitting to MS-DOS.
    NOTE: The Shutdown Supplement was updated 11/99 to address a newly
    discovered issue that allowed continued shutdown failures on some Windows
    installations. Due to the added functionality in the update, it may appear
    on Windows Update as not installed, even if the original version of the
    Supplement was previously installed.
    RESOLUTION
    The Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement addresses shutdown issues
    on computers with specific hardware and software configurations running
    Windows 98 Second Edition.

    Microsoft recommends you troubleshoot these issues using the steps outlined
    in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    202633 How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems

    To Download the Patch
    After you follow the steps outlined in the article listed above, and if the
    computer continues to exhibit shutdown problems, download and install the
    Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement.

    Note: The Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement should be installed
    on Windows 98 Second Edition-based computers only. To determine the version
    of Windows installed on your computer, please see the following article in
    the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    158238 How to Determine the Version of Windows 95/98/Me in Use

    Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement

    You can also click one of the following links to download and install the
    Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement file:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/wurecommended/s_wufeatured/win98se/

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

    The English-language version of this software update should have the
    following file attributes or later:
    Date Time Version Size File name
    08/11/99 10:32a 4.10.2223 59,392 Msconfig.exe
    08/11/99 10:41a 4.10.2223 65,919 Pci.vxd
    08/11/99 10:46a 4.10.2223 4,384 Apmbatt.sys
    04/23/99 10:22p 4.10.2222 125,057 Configmg.vxd
    07/22/99 11:12a 240,797 Tshoot98.chm
    The 11/99 update added the following:
    Date Time Version Size File name
    09/28/99 6:35p 4.10.2223 37,547 Vpowerd.vxd

    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Windows 98 Second Edition.
    MORE INFORMATION
    The Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement also contains an updated
    Troubleshooter for Startup and Shutdown issues. The Fast Shutdown option is
    no longer available in the System Configuration Utility (Msconfig.exe). This
    update checks to see if the appropriate version of the Configmg.vxd file is
    installed on the computer and replaces any earlier versions with the Windows
    98 Second Edition version.

    If this article does not describe your shutdown-related issue, please see
    the following Microsoft Web site to view more articles about shutting down
    Windows 98:
    Click here to view a list of shutdown articles

    For additional information about how to determine which folder Windows is
    installed in, click the article number below to view the article in the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    305792 How to Determine Which Folder Windows Is Installed In

    Additional query words: hangs freeze freezes lock locks up exit turn off
    manually shuts down crash crashes shutdown patch patches shut w98shutdown

    Technology: kbWin98SE kbWin98SEsearch

    GWB, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Big D

    Chris E Guest

    Try going into MSCONFIG, click the "Advanced" button and check the "Disable
    Fast Shutdown" option. Sometimes W98 hangs and won't shut down when this
    feature is enabled.

    Chris
    A+, Net+

    Chris E, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Big D

    GWB Guest

    "SBFan2000" <> wrote in message
    > This is a known isse with 98SE. Go to microsofts website, they released a
    > patch to fix it!

    That's exactly what I said in my post I also included the knowledge base
    article that covers it,unfortunately I also included the download button
    that makes it look like an attachment is included that people try to avoid
    in these forums for fear of virus...Here it is again minus the download
    button :

[...]

    Date Time Version Size File name
    08/11/99 10:32a 4.10.2223 59,392 Msconfig.exe
    08/11/99 10:41a 4.10.2223 65,919 Pci.vxd
    08/11/99 10:46a 4.10.2223 4,384 Apmbatt.sys
    04/23/99 10:22p 4.10.2222 125,057 Configmg.vxd
    07/22/99 11:12a 240,797 Tshoot98.chm
    The 11/99 update added the following:
    Date Time Version Size File name

    GWB, Oct 11, 2004