Windows Is Amazing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 15, 2009.

  1. The more I learn about this operating system, the more it just takes my
    breath away. The kinds of things you can do with it ... case in point: an
    article entitled "20 Registry Hacks", on pages 94-96 of the May issue of APC
    Magazine. It's full of gems like this:

    Run REGEDIT, go to 'HKCR\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers', right-
    click 'ContextMenuHandlers' and click 'New > Key'. Type '{a2a9545d-
    a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}' (as ever, without quotation marks) and
    press Enter.

    Now, what do you think that might do? It's so helpful of them to emphasize
    the "without quotation marks" bit, since that's such a common mistake when
    users try to follow instructions like this, don't you think? Or how about
    this one:

    To fix this, go to
    'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell',
    delete the 'Bags' subkey and then create a new Bags key in the same
    location. Create a key called 'AllFolders' beneath Bags, and a key
    called 'Shell' below that. Click it to open
    'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell'.
    Right-click the right-hand pane, choose 'New -> String Value' and
    call this 'FolderType'. Then double-click FolderType and set its value
    to 'NotSpecified'.

    I like the way they keep dropping the word "Software" into the conversation,
    just to make it clear what you're working with here. Very classy. Just in
    case it's not your bag.

    I have to take my hat off to Microsoft: Linux will never be able to match
    this kind of advanced technology...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 15, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg Guest

    Re: You are Amazing

    You are so amazing that you don't realise that no one actually gives a
    toss about anything you ever say, as it's the same old recycled crap
    complaining about every little thing.

    greg, May 15, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Party Animal Guest

    Re: You are Amazing

    greg wrote:
    > You are so amazing that you don't realise that no one actually gives a
    > toss about anything you ever say, as it's the same old recycled crap
    > complaining about every little thing.

    So snip it.
    Party Animal, May 15, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Guest

    On May 16, 12:11 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > The more I learn about this operating system, the more it just takes my
    > breath away. The kinds of things you can do with it ... case in point: an
    > article entitled "20 Registry Hacks", on pages 94-96 of the May issue of APC
    > Magazine. It's full of gems like this:
    >
    >     Run REGEDIT, go to 'HKCR\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers', right-
    >     click 'ContextMenuHandlers' and click 'New > Key'. Type '{a2a9545d-
    >     a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}' (as ever, without quotation marks) and
    >     press Enter.
    >
    > Now, what do you think that might do? It's so helpful of them to emphasize
    > the "without quotation marks" bit, since that's such a common mistake when
    > users try to follow instructions like this, don't you think? Or how about
    > this one:
    >
    >     To fix this, go to
    >     'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell',
    >     delete the 'Bags' subkey and then create a new Bags key in the same
    >     location. Create a key called 'AllFolders' beneath Bags, and a key
    >     called 'Shell' below that. Click it to open
    >     'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell'.
    >        Right-click the right-hand pane, choose 'New -> String Value' and
    >      call this 'FolderType'. Then double-click FolderType and set its value
    >      to 'NotSpecified'.
    >
    > I like the way they keep dropping the word "Software" into the conversation,
    > just to make it clear what you're working with here. Very classy. Just in
    > case it's not your bag.
    >
    > I have to take my hat off to Microsoft: Linux will never be able to match
    > this kind of advanced technology...

    NT == neanderthal technology.....in terms of its underlying
    architecture its awful....

    but lets face it, underneath yes its a dog but its cheap and easy to
    use....on top it has features that Linux still lacks or costs an arm
    and a leg.....ever looked for a decent Exchange replacement? sorry
    does not exist....plus all the features around Exch 2007....

    Easy to use is the point you have to remember.....easy to use by ppl
    who think they know something about computers.....the reality is, to
    use MS well you have to be pretty competent, as competent as
    Linux.....but the learning curve is flatter than Linux....a moron can
    point and click....and hit next....

    When you look at the costs, support from say Red Hat is as expensive
    as MS support, often its more as many ppl who know Linux think they
    are worth more than a MS admin....reality check here....it isnt true.

    regards

    Thing
    , May 16, 2009
  5. In message <e3a000ba-e614-42de-b7fd-
    >, wrote:

    > ....ever looked for a decent Exchange replacement?

    <http://www.pcworld.com/article/143198/linux_communications_suite_enters_beta.html>
    <http://www.tectonic.co.za/wordpress/?p=1049>

    Just a couple of hits from
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+exchange+alternative>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 16, 2009
  6. Re: Dimdows Is Amazing

    In message <e3a000ba-e614-42de-b7fd-
    >, wrote:

    > When you look at the costs, support from say Red Hat is as expensive
    > as MS support ...

    Seems fair enough. Particularly when you remember that, with Microsoft, you
    have to add on the cost of the software as well...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 16, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On May 16, 12:11 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    >central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> The more I learn about this operating system, the more it just takes my
    >> breath away. The kinds of things you can do with it ... case in point: an
    >> article entitled "20 Registry Hacks", on pages 94-96 of the May issue of
    >> APC
    >> Magazine. It's full of gems like this:
    >>
    >> Run REGEDIT, go to 'HKCR\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers', right-
    >> click 'ContextMenuHandlers' and click 'New > Key'. Type '{a2a9545d-
    >> a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}' (as ever, without quotation marks) and
    >> press Enter.
    >>
    >> Now, what do you think that might do? It's so helpful of them to
    >> emphasize
    >> the "without quotation marks" bit, since that's such a common mistake
    >> when
    >> users try to follow instructions like this, don't you think? Or how about
    >> this one:
    >>
    >> To fix this, go to
    >> 'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell',
    >> delete the 'Bags' subkey and then create a new Bags key in the same
    >> location. Create a key called 'AllFolders' beneath Bags, and a key
    >> called 'Shell' below that. Click it to open
    >> 'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell'.
    >> Right-click the right-hand pane, choose 'New -> String Value' and
    >> call this 'FolderType'. Then double-click FolderType and set its value
    >> to 'NotSpecified'.
    >>
    >> I like the way they keep dropping the word "Software" into the
    >> conversation,
    >> just to make it clear what you're working with here. Very classy. Just in
    >> case it's not your bag.
    >>
    >> I have to take my hat off to Microsoft: Linux will never be able to match
    >> this kind of advanced technology...

    > NT == neanderthal technology.....in terms of its underlying
    > architecture its awful....

    Sitting and admiring the architecture seems to be a preoccupation with
    freedtards.

    > but lets face it, underneath yes its a dog but its cheap and easy to
    > use....on top it has features that Linux still lacks or costs an arm
    > and a leg.....ever looked for a decent Exchange replacement? sorry
    > does not exist....plus all the features around Exch 2007....
    >
    > Easy to use is the point you have to remember.....easy to use by ppl
    > who think they know something about computers.....the reality is, to
    > use MS well you have to be pretty competent, as competent as
    > Linux.....but the learning curve is flatter than Linux....a moron can
    > point and click....and hit next....

    Users prefer Windows precisely because the intricacies of the os need not
    concern them. Windows users have real work to do, for which they load all
    the Windows productivity applications that are so conspiculously absent from
    the Linux desktop.

    impossible, May 16, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    SlowLearner Guest

    > Users prefer Windows precisely because the intricacies of the os need not
    > concern them. Windows users have real work to do, for which they load all
    > the Windows productivity applications that are so conspiculously absent from
    > the Linux desktop.

    Bashing LD when he is spouting off random fanboism is fine but this
    time he has a point and at any rate at least come up with a decent
    point of your own.

    I keep hearing how Windows is simple and easy and soooo much betterer
    etc but fact is once you get past a "click next" problem you hit (as a
    non-tech end user) the exact same voodoo dark magic fixes for windows
    problems as you do linux ones. I have had a number of things where I
    have had to go registry spelunking in Vista to get things to work that
    should have "just worked" but didn't (mounting a NAS drive being one
    of them).

    At least with linux someone will give you a commandline entry (which
    is easy to look up to find out what it will do) or some edits to a
    generally human readable file. Most windows fixes are along the lines
    of "enter <seemingly random sequence of chars> to <obsure 10 deep
    level of regsistry> and restart" or "install trial version of complex
    commercial utility a, if that does not work instal trial of commercial
    utility b and run that too. Also don't forget to make sure x is not
    running ... etc". And while running the trial of a commercial version
    on the face of it is easier you have just dumped your email addy off
    with another spambot, installed another one shot app that will never
    really disappear and in my experience as often as not does not work
    anyway.

    Add to the above that I can find answers to linux problems much faster
    than windows ones (I suspect due to the fact that windows vendors game
    google results with the intention of a quick sale resulting in piles
    of useless advertising dross and flat out dodgy websites popping up) I
    find troubleshooting in linux much easier.

    Linux is not perfect by any means but I find I spend less time
    swearing at it and trying to get it to do what *I* want than I do with
    windows.

    As a result I have a basically unused vista partition which I keep
    incase my son wants to run his kids games (most of which fail for one
    reason or another in vista anyway) and it is linux which gets used on
    a daily basis.

    I prefer linux. While I have have some interest in the the intricacies
    of the os I still have real work to do, for which I simply use all the
    productivity applications that came with my ubuntu install that are so
    conspiculously absent from my Vista install.
    SlowLearner, May 16, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Larry D'Loser's Lawyer" <> wrote in message

    >> Users prefer Windows precisely because the intricacies of the os need not
    >> concern them. Windows users have real work to do, for which they load all
    >> the Windows productivity applications that are so conspiculously absent
    >> from
    >> the Linux desktop.

    > Bashing LD when he is spouting off random fanboism is fine but this
    > time he has a point and at any rate at least come up with a decent
    > point of your own.
    >
    > I keep hearing how Windows is simple and easy and soooo much betterer
    > etc but fact is once you get past a "click next" problem you hit (as a
    > non-tech end user) the exact same voodoo dark magic fixes for windows
    > problems as you do linux ones.

    Yes, for most users, the Windows Registry is about as easy to understand as
    some arcane command-line entry you'd type in Linux-- that is, it isn't
    understandable at all and they can't be bothered with it. Users then
    typically demand more and more gui-based customizations in Windows (and with
    Vista, for example, they certainly get them), while abandoning Linux
    altogether. What's your point?

    >I have had a number of things where I
    > have had to go registry spelunking in Vista to get things to work that
    > should have "just worked" but didn't (mounting a NAS drive being one
    > of them).

    You probably could have Googled the solution much faster than "spelunking"
    in the Registry. Try that next time -- if a Registry fix is required, a
    script to genderate the needed Registry changes is probably out there
    already.

    > At least with linux someone will give you a commandline entry (which
    > is easy to look up to find out what it will do) or some edits to a
    > generally human readable file. Most windows fixes are along the lines
    > of "enter <seemingly random sequence of chars> to <obsure 10 deep
    > level of regsistry> and restart" or "install trial version of complex
    > commercial utility a, if that does not work instal trial of commercial
    > utility b and run that too. Also don't forget to make sure x is not
    > running ... etc". And while running the trial of a commercial version
    > on the face of it is easier you have just dumped your email addy off
    > with another spambot, installed another one shot app that will never
    > really disappear and in my experience as often as not does not work
    > anyway.

    Horses for courses. 99.9% of users are not going to find nix command-line
    solutions one bit easier to decode.

    > Add to the above that I can find answers to linux problems much faster
    > than windows ones (I suspect due to the fact that windows vendors game
    > google results with the intention of a quick sale resulting in piles
    > of useless advertising dross and flat out dodgy websites popping up) I
    > find troubleshooting in linux much easier.

    You need to learn to use Google more effectively. There are courses for that
    sort of thing, you know? Not to mention the Google help pages.

    > Linux is not perfect by any means but I find I spend less time
    > swearing at it and trying to get it to do what *I* want than I do with
    > windows.

    You'd bve an exception -- but then you knew that already.

    > As a result I have a basically unused vista partition which I keep
    > incase my son wants to run his kids games (most of which fail for one
    > reason or another in vista anyway) and it is linux which gets used on
    > a daily basis.

    You wasted your money then buying Vista. Is that what you're mad about?

    > I prefer linux. While I have have some interest in the the intricacies
    > of the os I still have real work to do, for which I simply use all the
    > productivity applications that came with my ubuntu install that are so
    > conspiculously absent from my Vista install.

    Whatever.
    impossible, May 16, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    SlowLearner Guest

    On May 17, 1:34 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > sort of thing, you know? Not to mention the Google help pages.
    >
    > > Linux is not perfect by any means but I find I spend less time
    > > swearing at it and trying to get it to do what *I* want than I do with
    > > windows.

    > You'd bve an exception -- but then you knew that already.
    >
    > > As a result I have a basically unused vista partition which I keep
    > > incase my son wants to run his kids games (most of which fail for one
    > > reason or another in vista anyway) and it is linux which gets used on
    > > a daily basis.

    > You wasted your money then buying Vista. Is that what you're mad about?
    >
    > > I prefer linux. While I have have some interest in the the intricacies
    > > of the os I still have real work to do, for which I simply use all the
    > > productivity applications that came with my ubuntu install that are so
    > > conspiculously absent from my Vista install.

    And I think you're last witty 'response' sums up your inability to
    actually generate a point worth making.

    The coded windows registry hacks and suggestions of software come from
    google searches. As you have agreed for end users troubleshooting in
    windws and linux can be equally frustrating and obtuse, however, at
    least with linux if I want to work out what the edit/command will
    actually do it is much simpler than trying to decode a premade .reg
    file.

    My google skills are pretty good. If you have a useful suggestion on
    how to remove the advertising cruft from my windows help related
    searches thats great. I suspect you don't, like, whatever.

    I am not mad that I "wasted money" buying Vista. I had no choice in
    the matter but thats life and it *is* good for playing games on as for
    commercial games linux is still far far behind windows.

    I think you need to open your other eye.
    SlowLearner, May 16, 2009
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "SlowLearner" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> > incase my son wants to run his kids games (most of which fail for one
    >> > reason or another in vista anyway) and it is linux which gets used on
    >> > a daily basis.

    >> You wasted your money then buying Vista. Is that what you're mad about?
    >>
    >> > I prefer linux. While I have have some interest in the the intricacies
    >> > of the os I still have real work to do, for which I simply use all the
    >> > productivity applications that came with my ubuntu install that are so
    >> > conspiculously absent from my Vista install.

    >> Whatever.

    >And I think you're last witty 'response' sums up your inability to
    >actually generate a point worth making.
    >
    >The coded windows registry hacks and suggestions of software come from
    >google searches. As you have agreed for end users troubleshooting in
    >windws and linux can be equally frustrating and obtuse....

    Huh?! What "troubleshooting" are you talking about? The OP's troll concerned
    a Windows Registry hack for a gui customization.

    >least with linux if I want to work out what the edit/command will
    >actually do it is much simpler than trying to decode a premade .reg
    >file.

    So tell me --to achieve the equivalent functionality of the Windows Registry
    hack in Linux would require that users do what exactly?

    >My google skills are pretty good. If you have a useful suggestion on
    >how to remove the advertising cruft from my windows help related
    >searches thats great. I suspect you don't, like, whatever.

    You're blaming Microsoft now for searches that turns up ads? That's a little
    desperate. But as I said, there a better ways to use Google to pinpoint what
    you're looking for. Check the help pages.

    >I am not mad that I "wasted money" buying Vista. I had no choice in
    >the matter but thats life and it *is* good for playing games on as for
    >commercial games linux is still far far behind windows.
    >
    >I think you need to open your other eye.

    Linux on the desktop is good for what exactly?
    impossible, May 16, 2009
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    impossible wrote:

    >> I have had a number of things where I have had to go registry
    >> spelunking in Vista to get things to work that should have "just
    >> worked" but didn't (mounting a NAS drive being one of them).

    > You probably could have Googled the solution much faster than
    > "spelunking" in the Registry. Try that next time -- if a Registry fix
    > is required, a script to genderate the needed Registry changes is
    > probably out there already.

    Yeah right. Yeah, sure I'm going to download a script to make changes to
    the Registry.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 17, 2009
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "SlowLearner" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> On May 17, 1:34 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >>> "Larry D'Loser's Lawyer" <> wrote in
    >>> messagenews:...

    >>> need >> not
    >>> load >> all

    >>> Yes, for most users, the Windows Registry is about as easy to
    >>> understand as some arcane command-line entry you'd type in
    >>> Linux-- that is, it isn't understandable at all and they can't be
    >>> bothered with it. Users then typically demand more and more
    >>> gui-based customizations in Windows (and with Vista, for example,
    >>> they certainly get them), while abandoning Linux altogether.
    >>> What's your point?

    >>> You probably could have Googled the solution much faster than
    >>> "spelunking" in the Registry. Try that next time -- if a Registry
    >>> fix is required, a script to genderate the needed Registry
    >>> changes is probably out there already.

    >>> Horses for courses. 99.9% of users are not going to find nix
    >>> command-line solutions one bit easier to decode.

    >>> You need to learn to use Google more effectively. There are
    >>> courses for that sort of thing, you know? Not to mention the
    >>> Google help pages.

    >>> You'd bve an exception -- but then you knew that already.

    >>> You wasted your money then buying Vista. Is that what you're mad
    >>> about?

    >>> Whatever.

    >> And I think you're last witty 'response' sums up your inability to
    >> actually generate a point worth making.
    >>
    >> The coded windows registry hacks and suggestions of software come
    >> from google searches. As you have agreed for end users
    >> troubleshooting in windws and linux can be equally frustrating and
    >> obtuse....

    > Huh?! What "troubleshooting" are you talking about? The OP's troll
    > concerned a Windows Registry hack for a gui customization.
    >
    >> least with linux if I want to work out what the edit/command will
    >> actually do it is much simpler than trying to decode a premade .reg
    >> file.
    >>

    > So tell me --to achieve the equivalent functionality of the Windows
    > Registry hack in Linux would require that users do what exactly?
    >

    >> My google skills are pretty good. If you have a useful suggestion
    >> on how to remove the advertising cruft from my windows help related
    >> searches thats great. I suspect you don't, like, whatever.
    >>

    > You're blaming Microsoft now for searches that turns up ads? That's a
    > little desperate. But as I said, there a better ways to use Google
    > to pinpoint what you're looking for. Check the help pages.
    >
    >> I am not mad that I "wasted money" buying Vista. I had no choice in
    >> the matter but thats life and it *is* good for playing games on as
    >> for commercial games linux is still far far behind windows.
    >>
    >> I think you need to open your other eye.
    >>

    > Linux on the desktop is good for what exactly?

    I've been using it for everything for about two years now.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 17, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> "SlowLearner" <> wrote in message

    >>> And I think you're last witty 'response' sums up your inability to
    >>> actually generate a point worth making.
    >>>
    >>> The coded windows registry hacks and suggestions of software come
    >>> from google searches. As you have agreed for end users
    >>> troubleshooting in windws and linux can be equally frustrating and
    >>> obtuse....

    >> Huh?! What "troubleshooting" are you talking about? The OP's troll
    >> concerned a Windows Registry hack for a gui customization.
    >>
    >>> least with linux if I want to work out what the edit/command will
    >>> actually do it is much simpler than trying to decode a premade .reg
    >>> file.
    >>>

    >> So tell me --to achieve the equivalent functionality of the Windows
    >> Registry hack in Linux would require that users do what exactly?
    >>

    >>> My google skills are pretty good. If you have a useful suggestion
    >>> on how to remove the advertising cruft from my windows help related
    >>> searches thats great. I suspect you don't, like, whatever.
    >>>

    >> You're blaming Microsoft now for searches that turns up ads? That's a
    >> little desperate. But as I said, there a better ways to use Google
    >> to pinpoint what you're looking for. Check the help pages.
    >>
    >>> I am not mad that I "wasted money" buying Vista. I had no choice in
    >>> the matter but thats life and it *is* good for playing games on as
    >>> for commercial games linux is still far far behind windows.
    >>>
    >>> I think you need to open your other eye.
    >>>

    >> Linux on the desktop is good for what exactly?
    >>

    > I've been using it for everything for about two years now.

    "Everything" being what exactly? Browsing? Email? Playing videos? What?
    impossible, May 17, 2009
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have had a number of things where I have had to go registry
    >>> spelunking in Vista to get things to work that should have "just
    >>> worked" but didn't (mounting a NAS drive being one of them).

    >> You probably could have Googled the solution much faster than
    >> "spelunking" in the Registry. Try that next time -- if a Registry fix
    >> is required, a script to genderate the needed Registry changes is
    >> probably out there already.
    >>

    > Yeah right. Yeah, sure I'm going to download a script to make changes to
    > the Registry.

    You can lead a horse to water....
    impossible, May 17, 2009
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "SlowLearner" <> wrote in message

    >>> Huh?! What "troubleshooting" are you talking about? The OP's troll
    >>> concerned a Windows Registry hack for a gui customization.

    >>> So tell me --to achieve the equivalent functionality of the Windows
    >>> Registry hack in Linux would require that users do what exactly?

    >>> You're blaming Microsoft now for searches that turns up ads? That's a
    >>> little desperate. But as I said, there a better ways to use Google
    >>> to pinpoint what you're looking for. Check the help pages.

    >>> Linux on the desktop is good for what exactly?
    >>>

    >> I've been using it for everything for about two years now.
    >>

    > "Everything" being what exactly? Browsing? Email? Playing videos? What?

    All those. Fiddling with music, playing music, editing graphics,
    programming, playing games (though I don't do a lot of that).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 17, 2009
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> You probably could have Googled the solution much faster than
    >>> "spelunking" in the Registry. Try that next time -- if a Registry fix
    >>> is required, a script to genderate the needed Registry changes is
    >>> probably out there already.
    >>>

    >> Yeah right. Yeah, sure I'm going to download a script to make changes to
    >> the Registry.
    >>

    > You can lead a horse to water....

    I'm sure that you could put a registry script on the Internet, advertise
    it as "This will destroy your system. Do not run it!!" and thousands would.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 17, 2009
  18. On Sun, 17 May 2009 18:00:12 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah right. Yeah, sure I'm going to download a script to make changes to
    >>> the Registry.
    >>>

    >> You can lead a horse to water....
    >>

    >I'm sure that you could put a registry script on the Internet, advertise
    >it as "This will destroy your system. Do not run it!!" and thousands would.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    There are lots of really useful registry scripts on the net, and they
    are used every day. You can read them it you want to see what they
    are going to do, and can decode the registry changes. The scripts
    themselves are straightforward to read - it is just what any registry
    entry really does that is the mystery.
    Stephen Worthington, May 17, 2009
  19. Re: Dimdows Is Amazing

    In message <gujm5a$e5p$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > ... case in point: an article entitled "20 Registry Hacks", on pages
    > 94-96 of the May issue of APC Magazine.

    Another dazzling little nugget from there that I just have to share with
    you:

    15: Change the Default Installation Folder
    Most installations default to the Program Files folder, but if you want
    to point this elsewhere, navigate to
    'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion', change the
    'ProgramFilesDir' entry to point at your chosen folder and reboot.

    Deceptively simple, with that nice little touch at the end: that you have to
    reboot for your change to take effect. Imagine that: if you want installers
    for applications to default to a different location for the installation,
    it's not enough to change a Registry key that the installer could easily
    read, you also have to reboot your system as well! Because your running
    system needs to be kept informed of where installers might default to
    putting things! (And don't forget, you'll have to reboot again after doing
    each application installation anyway.)

    Open-source developers, as smart as they are, would never have thought of
    something like this in a million years. Doesn't that sort of sheer technical
    brilliance just bring tears to your eyes...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 17, 2009
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've been using it for everything for about two years now.
    >>>

    >> "Everything" being what exactly? Browsing? Email? Playing videos? What?
    > >

    > All those. Fiddling with music, playing music, editing graphics,
    > programming, playing games (though I don't do a lot of that).

    Apart from browsers maybe, Windows-based applications for doing all of
    these things are much better.
    impossible, May 17, 2009