    and select what one i want to install on? because the only way to fix it now
    is boot from 98 Se boot disk, fdisk delete non dos partitions on both
    drives, then it will let me choose the hard drives.

    Diehard, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in
    news:0D4Ob.10963$:

    > it
    > doesn't even allow me to select format quick or normal etc. it just
    > goes. what can i do to get this fixed so it will always show me both
    > hard drives and select what one i want to install on? because the only
    > way to fix it now is boot from 98 Se boot disk, fdisk delete non dos
    > partitions on both drives, then it will let me choose the hard drives.

    I would guess you are not loading the SATA drivers when prompted to press
    F6 during setup. If you are, and for some reason Windows is acting
    differently on your machine than I've seen it act on any of the 60+ dell's
    and gateway's I'm in charge of right now, then remove the ATA drive and
    leave only the SATA drive. If it somehow still installs to the PATA drive,
    your machine is amazing.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004

  3. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    you do not have to. like i said without the partitions on the drives it
    works fine.

    Diehard, Jan 17, 2004
  4. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in news:pp5Ob.10976$q4.9663
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > you do not have to. like i said without the partitions on the drives it
    > works fine.

    Don't have to what? Load the SATA drivers? Yes, you do. If you aren't,
    you are taking a huge chance that you will install it onto the SATA drive
    and then the machine will not be able to boot from the SATA drive, you'll
    get a nice Windows bluescreen at startup saying the boot drive is not
    accessible.

    What version of XP are you installing? Is it a full version or an upgrade
    version, or even an OEM version? Is it from some type of restore CD?

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004
  5. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    no actually you do not need to. the floppies are only for raid also. not
    anything else. and it works fine with no paritions on them at all. this is
    the msi - 6728 board i have and the floppies aren't needed for sata when you
    install windows. you just go into the bios and set it up a certain way.

    im using xp pro

    Diehard, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    actuallt its xp pro full version. but still, the floppies are not needed cus
    they're only for raid. if the hard drive has no partition then the install
    process sees it fine and allows me to select what one to install on. i
    select the 74gb sata 10,000 rpm drive and it works perfectly. if they have a
    partition on them already the install process will just skip past the what
    drive do you want to use part and automatically choose the ata drive.
    stupid.

    Diehard, Jan 17, 2004
  7. Diehard

    Wizard Guest

    Try changing the boot order in your BIOS. The OS is going to install to the
    first active partition it sees.

    Wizard, Jan 17, 2004
  8. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in

    > no actually you do not need to. the floppies are only for raid also.
    > not anything else. and it works fine with no paritions on them at all.
    > this is the msi - 6728 board i have and the floppies aren't needed for
    > sata when you install windows. you just go into the bios and set it up
    > a certain way.

    The drivers are for the Serial ATA controller. Much like my ABit K7T or
    Epox 8KHA+. Even if you aren't using RAID, you should install the drivers
    during setup. Does your BIOS offer some type of compatibility setting that
    makes the OS think SATA is ATA? If you have the drivers, why bother doing
    that?

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004
  9. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > Try changing the boot order in your BIOS. The OS is going to install to

    the
    > first active partition it sees.
    >
    > Diehard wrote:
    >
    > > actuallt its xp pro full version. but still, the floppies are not needed

    cus
    > > they're only for raid. if the hard drive has no partition then the

    install
    > > process sees it fine and allows me to select what one to install on. i
    > > select the 74gb sata 10,000 rpm drive and it works perfectly. if they

    have a
    > > partition on them already the install process will just skip past the

    what
    > > drive do you want to use part and automatically choose the ata drive.
    > > stupid.

    Now that actually makes sense, lol. sata isn't in the boot order at all, i
    don't think it can be, but it might be able to be, I'll have to see.

    Diehard, Jan 18, 2004