    good, since it controls various resources other than installing
    programs. What could possibly have caused this problem, and what can
    I do to set it right again?

    Anon, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Anon

    °Mike° Guest

    <Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

    It sounds like your executable file association has been
    compromised. Copy/paste the following into Notepad,
    and save is as a .reg file. Merge the .reg file into your
    registry by double clicking on it, or right click/merge.
    NOTE: Everything between [ and ] MUST be one line
    only, and there must be a blank line at the end.

    ***** <-- omit this line
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
    @="Application"
    "EditFlags"=hex:d8,07,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
    @=""
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"

    ***** <-- omit this line

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:43:27 GMT, in
    <Xns947E774AC97FF1j0b1n61x@207.225.159.7>
    Anon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Anon

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:26:46 +0000, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    ><Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>
    >
    >It sounds like your executable file association has been
    >compromised. Copy/paste the following into Notepad,
    >and save is as a .reg file. Merge the .reg file into your
    >registry by double clicking on it, or right click/merge.
    >NOTE: Everything between [ and ] MUST be one line
    >only, and there must be a blank line at the end.
    >
    >***** <-- omit this line
    >REGEDIT4
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    >@="exefile"
    >"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
    >@="Application"
    >"EditFlags"=hex:d8,07,00,00
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]
    >@=""
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
    >@=""
    >"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    >@="\"%1\" %*"
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}]
    >@=""
    >
    >[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
    >@="%1"
    >
    >***** <-- omit this line

    How on earth does all this work.
    Simply amazing.
    I had a similar prob a while back with some different programs. It
    seems to have cleared up.
    It does make one wonder.
    joevan

    joevan, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Anon

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:29:21 GMT, in
    <>
    joevan scrawled:

    >On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:26:46 +0000, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >><Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>
    >>
    >>It sounds like your executable file association has been
    >>compromised. Copy/paste the following into Notepad,
    >>and save is as a .reg file. Merge the .reg file into your
    >>registry by double clicking on it, or right click/merge.
    >>NOTE: Everything between [ and ] MUST be one line
    >>only, and there must be a blank line at the end.
    >>
    >>***** <-- omit this line
    >>REGEDIT4
    >>
    >>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]

    <snip>

    >>***** <-- omit this line
    >>

    >How on earth does all this work.

    Erm, that would be the subject of a book.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Anon

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:32:50 +0000, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:29:21 GMT, in
    > <>
    > joevan scrawled:
    >
    >>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:26:46 +0000, °Mike°
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>><Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>
    >>>
    >>>It sounds like your executable file association has been
    >>>compromised. Copy/paste the following into Notepad,
    >>>and save is as a .reg file. Merge the .reg file into your
    >>>registry by double clicking on it, or right click/merge.
    >>>NOTE: Everything between [ and ] MUST be one line
    >>>only, and there must be a blank line at the end.
    >>>
    >>>***** <-- omit this line
    >>>REGEDIT4
    >>>
    >>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]

    ><snip>
    >
    >>>***** <-- omit this line
    >>>

    >>How on earth does all this work.

    >Erm, that would be the subject of a book.
    >
    ><snip>

    Well now since I seem to have supplied the title, when are you going
    to write it? :eek:)
    joevan

    joevan, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Anon

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:45:21 GMT, in
    <>
    joevan scrawled:

    >On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:32:50 +0000, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:29:21 GMT, in
    >> <>
    >> joevan scrawled:

    >><snip>

    >>>How on earth does all this work.

    >>Erm, that would be the subject of a book.
    >>
    >><snip>

    >Well now since I seem to have supplied the title, when are you going
    >to write it? :eek:)

    Who says I already haven't? :)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Anon

    Anon Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:26:46 GMT, °Mike° wrote in

    > It sounds like your executable file association has been
    > compromised. Copy/paste the following into Notepad,
    > and save is as a .reg file.

    Mike, thanks. That's some serious registry tinkering. What exactly
    will it accomplish? (And how in the world did you learn that stuff?)

    Anon, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Anon

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:11:35 GMT, in
    <Xns947EAEE69C5231j0b1n61x@207.225.159.7>
    Anon scrawled:

    >On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:26:46 GMT, °Mike° wrote in
    >
    >> It sounds like your executable file association has been
    >> compromised. Copy/paste the following into Notepad,
    >> and save is as a .reg file.

    >Mike, thanks. That's some serious registry tinkering. What exactly
    >will it accomplish? (And how in the world did you learn that stuff?)

    It will restore your executable (.exe) file association, as I
    stated. As to how I learned it, let me ask you this; how
    did you learn what you do in your job?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 28, 2004
  9. Anon

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:56:30 +0000, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:45:21 GMT, in
    > <>
    > joevan scrawled:
    >
    >>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:32:50 +0000, °Mike°
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:29:21 GMT, in
    >>> <>
    >>> joevan scrawled:

    >>><snip>

    >>>Erm, that would be the subject of a book.
    >>>
    >>><snip>

    >>Well now since I seem to have supplied the title, when are you going
    >>to write it? :eek:)

    >Who says I already haven't? :)

    You are wonderful. When will it be on line? But it is already here. I
    have been reading it for over a year. :eek:)
    joevan

    joevan, Jan 29, 2004