Windows installer service could not be accessed

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. When I try to remove programs usings the Windows Installer (Win XP SP2) I get
    the message "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur
    if you are running Windows in safe mode or if Windows Installer is not
    correctly installed"

    I have attempted all the steps described at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175.

    Method 1: Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows
    Installer.
    >Did not work.

    Method 2: Upgrade to Windows Installer version 2 or newer version. To do
    this, follow these steps:
    >Could not find a version that works with Win XP
    >I tried installing version 3, I got the message that "Set up has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying..."

    2. In the left pane tree menu, click "Setup and System Administration", and
    then click "Setup".

    3. Click "Windows Installer", and then click the appropriate link for your
    operating system.

    4. Click "Download" to download and install Windows Installer version 2 or
    newer version.

    Method 3:Use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to uninstall the failed
    product.

    >Trying to run the utility brought up the same message as Windows Installer!

    Method 4:The Windows Installer service may disabled on the machine.

    >Was not disabled, I was able to start it manually without any problem or error message, which is actually surprising as Windows could not start it.

    I then run "Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885894)" in a final and
    desperate but this failed too.

    Please help.
    =?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=, Nov 19, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

    spamcram Guest

    Not sure if this is any help, but I had this problem to when I installed
    a trojan'd version of Norton.

    spamcram, Nov 19, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?="
    <> said in

    > When I try to remove programs usings the Windows Installer (Win XP
    > SP2) I get the message "Windows Installer Service could not be
    > accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode or if
    > Windows Installer is not correctly installed"
    >
    > I have attempted all the steps described at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175.
    >
    > Method 1: Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows
    > Installer.
    > >Did not work.

    > Method 2: Upgrade to Windows Installer version 2 or newer version. To
    > do this, follow these steps:
    >>Could not find a version that works with Win XP
    >>I tried installing version 3, I got the message that "Set up has
    >>detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than
    >>the update you are applying..."

    > 2. In the left pane tree menu, click "Setup and System
    > Administration", and then click "Setup".
    >
    > 3. Click "Windows Installer", and then click the appropriate link for
    > your operating system.
    >
    > 4. Click "Download" to download and install Windows Installer version
    > 2 or newer version.
    >
    > Method 3:Use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to uninstall the failed
    > product.
    >
    >>Trying to run the utility brought up the same message as Windows
    >>Installer!

    > Method 4:The Windows Installer service may disabled on the machine.
    >
    >>Was not disabled, I was able to start it manually without any problem
    >>or error message, which is actually surprising as Windows could not
    >>start it.

    > I then run "Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885894)" in a
    > final and desperate but this failed too.
    >
    > Please help.
    >

    > .

    Might be best to check this out in the microsoft.public.windows.msi or
    the ever popular microsoft.public.windowsxp.general ng. Follow ups set to
    same

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Doug Adams