Windows Installer Service could not be accessed

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by =?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. When I try to remove programs usings the Windows Installer (Win XP SP2) I get
    the message "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur
    if you are running Windows in safe mode or if Windows Installer is not
    correctly installed"

    I have attempted all the steps described at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175.

    Method 1: Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows
    Installer.
    Did not work.

    Method 2: Upgrade to Windows Installer version 2 or newer version. To do
    this, follow these steps:

    Could not find a version that works with Win XP
    I tried installing version 3, I got the message that "Set up has detected
    that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are
    applying..."

    2. In the left pane tree menu, click "Setup and System Administration", and
    then click "Setup".

    3. Click "Windows Installer", and then click the appropriate link for your
    operating system.

    4. Click "Download" to download and install Windows Installer version 2 or
    newer version.

    Method 3:Use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to uninstall the failed
    product.

    Trying to run the utility brought up the same message as Windows Installer!

    Method 4:The Windows Installer service may disabled on the machine.

    Was not disabled, I was able to start it manually without any problem or
    error message, which is actually surprising as Windows could not start it.

    I then run "Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885894)" in a final and
    desperate move, but this failed too.

    Please help.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Yep I´ve got the same problem. It appears when i try to install LevelOn
    USB Bluetoothstick. is there any help

    -
    kugelfischei

    kugelfischeis, Dec 9, 2004

  3. OK. following articels helped me:

    http://tinyurl.com/3egkg
    SYMPTOMS
    When you apply custom application images that are created for th
    Microsoft Windows Installer applications by using an earlier version o
    Windows Installer on a system that is running Microsoft Windows 200
    with Service Pack 3, the original application install CD may b
    requested during first run, download, or access to the application.
    CAUSE
    This problem occurs because Windows Installer has not been informe
    that the applications are fully installed. This occurs because th
    configuration data of the Windows Installer does not have thi
    information. This is because of an issue between Microsoft Window
    Installer 1.1 and Windows Installer 2.0, where the configuration dat
    location for installed applications is changed.
    RESOLUTION
    To work around this problem, provided that the machine configuration i
    not one of multiple users with per-user installations, include th
    migration tool in the setup procedure.

    The migration tool can be included in the setup procedure to run on
    time after the application image has been applied. The tool i
    Msiregmv.exe. This tool must be included in the operating system (OS
    image and must be scheduled to execute on first boot after th
    application image is applied to the system. After the migration tool i
    executed, a restart is then required before you execute th
    applications.

    The Msiregmv.exe tool may be located in either of the followin
    locations:
    • %windir%\servicepackfiles\i386\msiregmv.exe
    • windir%\system32\msiregmv.exe
    STATUS
    This behavior is by design.

    and:
    http://www.appdeploy.com/faq/msi_errors/detail.asp?id=5

    Don't you love errors that tell you to see "your support personnel"?

    First, try the old faithful reboot; this error may be the result of a
    RPC error. If a reboot does not clear the RPC error, you have bigge
    problems than installing MSI packages!

    Reregister the Windows Installer service by typing "msiexe
    /unregister" and then "msiexec /regserver" at the command line.

    The System account should have "Full Control" permissions to th
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive of the registry.

    Ensure the Windows Installer service is not disabled by typing "NE
    STOP MSISERVER" and "NET START MSISERVER" at the command line

    -
    kugelfischei

    kugelfischeis, Dec 10, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

    StanleyHo

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    if the error is -1067

    Try this:
    go to services
    Windows Installer/Login

    click allow service to interact with desktop

    then switch to automatic and restart the service.

    that starts the service for me

    hope that helps

    StanleyHo, Sep 30, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

    art_florentino

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    hey people. i just resolved this issue. hopefully this program helps, it's aptly called dial-a-fix. try running this one after unzipping. Save the unzipped folder onto your desktop, and when you run it just make sure everything on the list is checked. :)

    (http://djlizard.net/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip)

    art_florentino, Jul 10, 2008