Windows Installer runs everytime the PC boots

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Apr 12, 2008.

  1. I have an HP multi-function thingymabob, and the software never finished
    the install of Photo Gallery and Fax.

    The multi-function thingy does not have a phone line attached, so there is
    no fax and never will be. The photo gallery seems to work fully, so I don't
    know what the installer is trying to do.

    I'd like to stop the installer from ever looking at these modules, but I
    don't know how to do that. I'm sure I have to go into the Registry, and I
    know the Registry is a place to serious harm to the rest of the stuff. The
    law of unintended consequence is that if I can screw jit up, I will.

    What should I do to the Registry to halt the installer?

    PS
    Win XP Home, SP2.

    PS2
    The HP installation CD is not the answer, I already tried. I completely
    uninstalled the multi-function whatever-it-is and removed the software and
    drivers, then installed again from scratch. The Fax module fails because it
    does not find the dial tone that is not there and never will be. I do not
    recall what the photo module wants, but it seems to work with what it
    already has, and the installer wants the CD with every start up, so whatever
    it wants is not provided on any permanant basis even though the application
    seems to work right.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 12, 2008

  2. Jeff Strickland

    pickled Guest

    This is occurs with programs and drivers from all vendors because of some
    miswriting of the Windows registry.
    It is probably too late to go back to a point prior to the first time you
    installed the driver in System Restore but you can see if there are back-ups
    that old.
    I have a notebook that did the same thing every time I started Word 2003, it
    did not resolve with uninstall/reinstall of the program, but curiously
    recently disappeared after an XP update.
    Go figure.
    Don't you think you should contact HP, which has been reasonably responsive
    to Email support in my past experience, instead of this newsgroup?
    pickled, Apr 12, 2008

  3. "pickled" <> wrote in message
    > This is occurs with programs and drivers from all vendors because of some
    > miswriting of the Windows registry.
    > It is probably too late to go back to a point prior to the first time you
    > installed the driver in System Restore but you can see if there are
    > back-ups that old.
    > I have a notebook that did the same thing every time I started Word 2003,
    > it did not resolve with uninstall/reinstall of the program, but curiously
    > recently disappeared after an XP update.
    > Go figure.
    > Don't you think you should contact HP, which has been reasonably
    > responsive to Email support in my past experience, instead of this
    > newsgroup?

    I have not had the warm fuzzy experience with HP as you have had.

    I am hoping that the newsgroup will know where the Installer module lives
    within the Registry so I can find the specific instances that are invoking
    installation(s) and delete them.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 12, 2008
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Fred Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "pickled" <> wrote in message
    >> This is occurs with programs and drivers from all vendors because of some
    >> miswriting of the Windows registry.
    >> It is probably too late to go back to a point prior to the first time you
    >> installed the driver in System Restore but you can see if there are
    >> back-ups that old.
    >> I have a notebook that did the same thing every time I started Word 2003,
    >> it did not resolve with uninstall/reinstall of the program, but curiously
    >> recently disappeared after an XP update.
    >> Go figure.
    >> Don't you think you should contact HP, which has been reasonably
    >> responsive to Email support in my past experience, instead of this
    >> newsgroup?
    >>

    > I have not had the warm fuzzy experience with HP as you have had.
    >
    > I am hoping that the newsgroup will know where the Installer module lives
    > within the Registry so I can find the specific instances that are invoking
    > installation(s) and delete them.

    Try using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/290301
    Fred, Apr 13, 2008
  5. I thunk of that already.

    I can't seem to choose which parts of the multi-function thing-a-ma-bob I
    want. It assumes I want all of them since I bought the machine.

    I can't uninstall the fax because it is not installed yet. It makes me want
    to dust off my high-powered rifle and go find a clock tower ...

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 16, 2008
  6. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    > If it IS the FAX installer, and you have no install options, maybe the
    > simplest thing to do is to run a phone cord down the hall ( 25' costs
    > about $5 at Walmart) to an RJ11 jack.

    Well, that phone cord would have to run down the hall, out the door, over
    the fence from the nieghbor's house to my brother-in-law's house, in the
    door, and up the hall to get to the computer that has no phone line.

    This might come as a surprise to you, but there are people that no longer
    have a land line phone -- they rely entirely on cell service!

    > If you uninstall it (exactly what model is "the multi-function
    > thing-a-ma-bob"? )
    > http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en...t&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/split/support
    >
    > via start-programs or Control Panel add/remove, and reboot - does it
    > STILL run the installer at startup ? Or does the problem reoccur only
    > after each install ? ( Meaning the uninstall at least cleans up the
    > registry - use F8 and
    > Bootlog.txt ) What does event log show ?

    We have disconnected the machine, completely uninstalled, then started over
    from Step 1. The installation includes the fax, which is not capable of
    completing.

    Trust me, I've done the easy stuff. I need to understand the structure of
    the Registry so I can clean it up in the correct place to solve this problem
    without creating new problems.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 17, 2008
  7. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    >> If it IS the FAX installer, and you have no install options, maybe the
    >> simplest thing to do is to run a phone cord down the hall ( 25' costs
    >> about $5 at Walmart) to an RJ11 jack.
    >>

    > Well, that phone cord would have to run down the hall, out the door,
    > over the fence from the nieghbor's house to my brother-in-law's house,
    > in the door, and up the hall to get to the computer that has no phone line.
    >
    > This might come as a surprise to you, but there are people that no
    > longer have a land line phone -- they rely entirely on cell service!
    >

    >> If you uninstall it (exactly what model is "the multi-function
    >> thing-a-ma-bob"? )
    >> http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en...t&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/split/support
    >>

    >> via start-programs or Control Panel add/remove, and reboot - does it
    >> STILL run the installer at startup ? Or does the problem reoccur only
    >> after each install ? ( Meaning the uninstall at least cleans up the
    >> registry - use F8 and
    >> Bootlog.txt ) What does event log show ?
    >>

    > We have disconnected the machine, completely uninstalled, then started
    > over from Step 1. The installation includes the fax, which is not
    > capable of completing.
    >
    > Trust me, I've done the easy stuff. I need to understand the structure
    > of the Registry so I can clean it up in the correct place to solve this
    > problem without creating new problems.

    What is the model number of the HP equipment ?

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 17, 2008
  8. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fu7psp$u5u$...
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>> If it IS the FAX installer, and you have no install options, maybe the
    >>> simplest thing to do is to run a phone cord down the hall ( 25' costs
    >>> about $5 at Walmart) to an RJ11 jack.
    >>>

    >> Well, that phone cord would have to run down the hall, out the door, over
    >> the fence from the nieghbor's house to my brother-in-law's house, in the
    >> door, and up the hall to get to the computer that has no phone line.
    >>
    >> This might come as a surprise to you, but there are people that no longer
    >> have a land line phone -- they rely entirely on cell service!
    >>

    >>> If you uninstall it (exactly what model is "the multi-function
    >>> thing-a-ma-bob"? )
    >>> http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en...t&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/split/support
    >>>
    >>> via start-programs or Control Panel add/remove, and reboot - does it
    >>> STILL run the installer at startup ? Or does the problem reoccur only
    >>> after each install ? ( Meaning the uninstall at least cleans up the
    >>> registry - use F8 and
    >>> Bootlog.txt ) What does event log show ?
    >>>

    >> We have disconnected the machine, completely uninstalled, then started
    >> over from Step 1. The installation includes the fax, which is not capable
    >> of completing.
    >>
    >> Trust me, I've done the easy stuff. I need to understand the structure of
    >> the Registry so I can clean it up in the correct place to solve this
    >> problem without creating new problems.
    >>

    > What is the model number of the HP equipment ?
    >
    > Paul

    I don't recall, but I think it's a 2610.
    Jeff Strickland, Apr 17, 2008