Windows installer popup problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill P, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    Using WinXP Home SP2
    I have had this problem for a while now and have not found a solution so
    far.

    When I try to open an .avi file Windows Media Player opens and the video
    starts playing but a Windows Installer popup opens followed by a "Document
    Viewer" window saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or
    other removable disk that is not available,........insert the "Document
    Viewer"disk and click OK"

    The problem is I don't have a Document Viewer disk. The computer came with
    Microsoft Works Suite and Doc Viewer isn't on that.

    I click on cancel and I get an error message "Error 1706 no valid source
    could be found for product Document Viewer. The Windows Installer cannot
    continue."

    I click on OK and the process starts again. I do this a couple more times
    until it gives up. Meanwhile the video is playing in the background.

    Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Dec 16, 2005

  2. Bill P

    old jon Guest

    "Bill P" <> wrote in message
    > Using WinXP Home SP2
    > I have had this problem for a while now and have not found a solution so
    > far.
    >
    > When I try to open an .avi file Windows Media Player opens and the video
    > starts playing but a Windows Installer popup opens followed by a "Document
    > Viewer" window saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or
    > other removable disk that is not available,........insert the "Document
    > Viewer"disk and click OK"
    >
    > The problem is I don't have a Document Viewer disk. The computer came with
    > Microsoft Works Suite and Doc Viewer isn't on that.
    >
    > I click on cancel and I get an error message "Error 1706 no valid source
    > could be found for product Document Viewer. The Windows Installer cannot
    > continue."
    >
    > I click on OK and the process starts again. I do this a couple more times
    > until it gives up. Meanwhile the video is playing in the background.
    >
    > Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    > Regards
    > Bill

    Have a look at your Event Viewer Bill. See if you can pin it down a bit
    closer.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 16, 2005

  3. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Bill P" <> wrote in message
    >> Using WinXP Home SP2
    >> I have had this problem for a while now and have not found a solution so
    >> far.
    >>
    >> When I try to open an .avi file Windows Media Player opens and the video
    >> starts playing but a Windows Installer popup opens followed by a
    >> "Document Viewer" window saying "The feature you are trying to use is on
    >> a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available,........insert the
    >> "Document Viewer"disk and click OK"
    >>
    >> The problem is I don't have a Document Viewer disk. The computer came
    >> with Microsoft Works Suite and Doc Viewer isn't on that.
    >>
    >> I click on cancel and I get an error message "Error 1706 no valid source
    >> could be found for product Document Viewer. The Windows Installer cannot
    >> continue."
    >>
    >> I click on OK and the process starts again. I do this a couple more times
    >> until it gives up. Meanwhile the video is playing in the background.
    >>
    >> Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    >> Regards
    >> Bill

    > Have a look at your Event Viewer Bill. See if you can pin it down a bit
    > closer.
    > bw..OJ

    Hi OJ
    I get an application error message for Windows MsiInstaller stating "Error
    1706 no valid source
    could be found for product Document Viewer. The Windows Installer cannot
    continue."
    When I try to get more details I get "Sorry....no further information is
    available......"

    Bill

    Bill P, Dec 16, 2005
  4. Bill P

    John Holmes Guest

    Bill P blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    www.eventid.net/search.asp

    --
    Your mother was a dorky dolt who used to do unmentionable things to
    cheese on a coca plantation near Bogota.

    John Holmes, Dec 16, 2005
  5. Bill P

    PC Guest

    "Bill P" <> wrote in message
    > Using WinXP Home SP2
    > I have had this problem for a while now and have not found a solution so
    > far.
    >
    > When I try to open an .avi file Windows Media Player opens and the video
    > starts playing but a Windows Installer popup opens followed by a "Document
    > Viewer" window saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or
    > other removable disk that is not available,........insert the "Document
    > Viewer"disk and click OK"
    >
    > The problem is I don't have a Document Viewer disk. The computer came with
    > Microsoft Works Suite and Doc Viewer isn't on that.
    >
    > I click on cancel and I get an error message "Error 1706 no valid source
    > could be found for product Document Viewer. The Windows Installer cannot
    > continue."
    >
    > I click on OK and the process starts again. I do this a couple more times
    > until it gives up. Meanwhile the video is playing in the background.
    >
    > Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    > Regards
    > Bill

    Bill I had a similar problem with Spyware Blaster a couple of months ago.
    When I started an update for Spyware Blaster Windows installer would pop up
    and try finishing an install for 'Smartsound'

    Neither program is relevant in your case but what is relevant is 'a' program
    triggered 'a' windows installer response.
    Apparently Windows Installer thinks it still has an unfinished install & (in
    your case) Media Player is triggering it off.

    The cure in my case was an update for VideoStudio 9, In your case it will be
    the program that had the 'Document Viewer' component.

    Just have a think about what programs you have installed recently and try
    uninstalling them.
    Then reinstall with any patches or updates from the vendors website.
    I found a bit of info via Google about this problem but identifying the
    original install appears to be the key to fixing it.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Dec 16, 2005
  6. Bill P

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Use this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    pcbutts1, Dec 16, 2005
  7. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > "Bill P" <> wrote in message
    >> Using WinXP Home SP2
    >> I have had this problem for a while now and have not found a solution so
    >> far.
    >>
    >> When I try to open an .avi file Windows Media Player opens and the video
    >> starts playing but a Windows Installer popup opens followed by a
    >> "Document Viewer" window saying "The feature you are trying to use is on
    >> a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available,........insert the
    >> "Document Viewer"disk and click OK"
    >>
    >> The problem is I don't have a Document Viewer disk. The computer came
    >> with Microsoft Works Suite and Doc Viewer isn't on that.
    >>
    >> I click on cancel and I get an error message "Error 1706 no valid source
    >> could be found for product Document Viewer. The Windows Installer cannot
    >> continue."
    >>
    >> I click on OK and the process starts again. I do this a couple more times
    >> until it gives up. Meanwhile the video is playing in the background.
    >>
    >> Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    >> Regards
    >> Bill
    >>

    > Bill I had a similar problem with Spyware Blaster a couple of months ago.
    > When I started an update for Spyware Blaster Windows installer would pop
    > up and try finishing an install for 'Smartsound'
    >
    > Neither program is relevant in your case but what is relevant is 'a'
    > program triggered 'a' windows installer response.
    > Apparently Windows Installer thinks it still has an unfinished install &
    > (in your case) Media Player is triggering it off.
    >
    > The cure in my case was an update for VideoStudio 9, In your case it will
    > be the program that had the 'Document Viewer' component.
    >
    > Just have a think about what programs you have installed recently and try
    > uninstalling them.
    > Then reinstall with any patches or updates from the vendors website.
    > I found a bit of info via Google about this problem but identifying the
    > original install appears to be the key to fixing it.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Thanks Paul for your reply.
    The problem has been fixed by using the Windows Installer Cleanup facility
    as recommended by pcbutts1 (see my reply to him)
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Dec 17, 2005
  8. Bill P

    Bill P Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > Use this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    > "Bill P" <> wrote in message
    >> Using WinXP Home SP2
    >> I have had this problem for a while now and have not found a solution so
    >> far.
    >>
    >> When I try to open an .avi file Windows Media Player opens and the video
    >> starts playing but a Windows Installer popup opens followed by a
    >> "Document Viewer" window saying "The feature you are trying to use is on
    >> a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available,........insert the
    >> "Document Viewer"disk and click OK"
    >>
    >> The problem is I don't have a Document Viewer disk. The computer came
    >> with Microsoft Works Suite and Doc Viewer isn't on that.
    >>
    >> I click on cancel and I get an error message "Error 1706 no valid source
    >> could be found for product Document Viewer. The Windows Installer cannot
    >> continue."
    >>
    >> I click on OK and the process starts again. I do this a couple more times
    >> until it gives up. Meanwhile the video is playing in the background.
    >>
    >> Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    >> Regards
    >> Bill

    Hi pcbutts1
    That was a brilliant fix. The program found the problem in seconds. I
    deleted Document Viewer from the list and it was sorted.
    Thanks a lot
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Dec 17, 2005