    but there doesn't seem to be anything. How can we get it out of Add/Remove.
    Your help greatly appreciated,
    Juanita.
    Juanita, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Juanita

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Juanita vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Hi' All.
    > My son has Windows xpPro., and he has 2 problems. Firstly , after his
    > computer boots up on the desktop appears a Windows Installer that has an
    > indicator bar going across. This happened after he had XP installed by a
    > technician and he said he doesn't know why it's happening. Does anyone
    > know how we can fix this.

    First, don't use that technician again ... It appears the 'tech' may have
    installed an application, maybe Battlefield 1942, and screwed the install,
    so there's an invalid entry still left behind in the registry.

    I would view/edit the registry to see if I could see what's happening .. but
    I can't recommend this to a relative 'newbie' to computing .. though the
    following pages may help.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...dowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/regedit_o.asp

    or http://tinyurl.com/424vf

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...home/using/productdoc/en/regedit_overview.asp

    or http://tinyurl.com/5k6wp

    > Also, he installed a game called Battlefield
    > 1942 but doesn't want it now. The only place I can find it is in
    > Add/Remove but it won't let me uninstall it, seems to want to install it
    > and says a file is missing and the install can't continue. I can't find
    > any files anywhere to do with this and all he wants is to delete that
    > entry out of Add/Remove. I've looked in Windows Explorer, the Registry
    > and find all files and folders but there doesn't seem to be anything.
    > How can we get it out of Add/Remove. Your help greatly appreciated,
    > Juanita.

    Search for TweakUI, which will remove the entry, but not the actual files.

    For a full deletion it may be worthwhile re-installing B1942 again, then
    using Add/Remove ...

    There are registry cleaners available, but I would hesitate, again, to
    recommend use of them by someone who doesn't know their computer and
    computing too well. If you're happy to use them, and can trust them to do a
    decent job, then I use Toniarts Easy Cleaner, which I know works with XP
    Home and Pro.

    http://www.toniarts.com/product_details.php?prod_id=1&PHPSESSID=8a2338c3e035bfaf5eb00ebb09ce5f77

    Have fun .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Juanita

    Juanita Guest

    Thanks Paul, I don't know about having fun, it's all such a worry when I'm
    not sure what we are doing half the time. I think the Easy Cleaner might be
    the best way to go, that or installing the Battlefield again. But worried
    about having 2 entries of that in Add/Remove.
    Thanks for your help,
    Juanita

    Juanita, Aug 23, 2004