    x64 and one with pro on it since realizing there are many things including
    printer and web cam that dont have updated drivers for them ...Or just leave
    the damn thing and buy a printer that has updated drivers for x64
    Drvnguy, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Drvnguy

    Rick Guest

    If x64 does not meet all your needs, then a dual boot installation is
    practical. Install 32 bit Win XP first, the install Win x64 afterwards.
    If you're doing clean installs, you can partition the hard drive
    during the install of 32 bit Win XP and just select the empty partition
    when you install Win x64.

    Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to install both on the same
    partition - you will regret such a move! Win x64 and 32 bit Win XP use
    'Program Files' differently; Win x64 puts only 64 bit program there and
    32 bit program in 'Program Files (x86)' [I think that's correct].

    Rick, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Drvnguy

    Drvnguy Guest

    thanks for your thoughts ...

    Drvnguy, Aug 6, 2005
  4. Drvnguy

    John Barnes Guest

    There are lots of posts related to dual booting of x86 and x64. Suggest
    the - dual boot install? Dated 7/14/2005 from Klaus. Read through the
    posts. You can only replace your x64 with x86 by replacing it during the
    install. Note Ricks warnings.

    John Barnes, Aug 6, 2005
  5. Dual boot can certainly be done -- read the newsgroup. It's been covered at
    length. But ask yourself whether you really want to deal with that or whether
    what you want is one or the other. Personally, I find that dual boot only
    makes sense if the secondary boot is for test purposes only. I would wager
    that the vast majority of those who have set up dual boot, don't use one or
    the other of the boot choices more than 5% of the time. For that? I'd buy a
    printer.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2005
  6. Drvnguy

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree that he will probably only use the second system a small part of the
    time, and if the printer were the only thing, and x64 worked otherwise, that
    would be the best move. However, if most client users go back to x86 the
    installed base of x64 will be too small for not only the hardware, but
    software vendors to care about it. As we know there is virtually no benefit
    to x64 for client at this time. Even games are few and far between. But
    they will come as will the other support, and for those with problems,
    having a small x64 partition where those applications which will benefit can
    be run will help keep things moving forward.

    John Barnes, Aug 7, 2005
  7. See, I think of it the other way -- why bother having a small x86 partition
    just so you can print? You'll need a second copy of windows, which costs
    almost as much as a printer would. ;) I read his original as being almost
    there, but strongly favouring the x64 side. Given the nuisance value and time
    to get everything set up, etc, I'd just pop for a printer (or read our blogs
    for the workarounds) and get on with business. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2005
  8. Drvnguy

    Drvnguy Guest

    Ok Ok I will get a new printer perhaps an allin one with fax ,the wife keeps
    asking me to get one ..

    Drvnguy, Aug 7, 2005
  9. Drvnguy

    John Barnes Guest

    Make sure it has drivers for ALL functions. So far most only support the
    print function.

    John Barnes, Aug 7, 2005
  10. Drvnguy

    John Barnes Guest

    I would definitely agree if printing were the only problem. In my case add
    a decent scanner and 1/2 dozen programs that run @$350 and several I depend
    on that can't be replaced yet, conveniently and work programs that don't
    run - period - and you have no choice.

    John Barnes, Aug 7, 2005
  11. Drvnguy

    Rick Guest

    Brother seems to have pretty good Win x64 support, including scanning in
    their MFCs. They have a chart for their products and links to the
    downloads:

    http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/windowsxp/us.html

    Rick, Aug 7, 2005
  12. Understood in your case. I was trying to address his specific case, where it
    seemed that printing was the biggest issue. Given the price of printers...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2005
  13. Just do your do diligence before hand to make sure there are full x64 drivers
    for it. The printing side is fairly easy to get, but the scanning/fax part
    has been slower to produce drivers.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2005