    delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore, and
    tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS get
    into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?
    PuppyKatt, Jun 12, 2004

  2. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    "PuppyKatt" <> wrote in message
    news:H5Fyc.31961$...
    : I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
    : there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
    clear
    : the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
    : delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
    and
    : tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
    get
    : into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?
    :
    :
    PuppyKatt, Jun 12, 2004

  3. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Re: "Windows" in recycle bin

    BTW, WinXP Home.

    PuppyKatt, Jun 12, 2004
  4. PuppyKatt

    joevan Guest

    Re: "Windows" in recycle bin

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:16:02 -0500, "PuppyKatt"
    <> wrote:

    >BTW, WinXP Home.
    >
    >"PuppyKatt" <> wrote in message
    >: I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
    >: there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
    >clear
    >: the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
    >: delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
    >and
    >: tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
    >get
    >: into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?
    >:
    >:

    Double click the icon in the recycle bin, and check the properties.
    Then delete it after you find out what it is if you want to.
    joevan
    joevan, Jun 12, 2004
  5. PuppyKatt

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:14:58 -0500, "PuppyKatt" <>
    wrote:

    >I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
    >there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to clear
    >the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
    >delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore, and
    >tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS get
    >into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?

    Few things to try:

    Frist, just shutdown and restart Windows to see if that fixed it.

    If not, try this: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    See line 64 (Right side) "Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP"
    Unk, Jun 12, 2004
  6. PuppyKatt

    °Mike° Guest

    <Piggybacked -- thanks Unk>

    To PuppyKatt:
    -------------
    You have a corrupted recycle bin (or file within it).
    Open a DOS box and type:

    ( If your system is FAT32 )
    cd \RECYCLED
    attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    chkdsk /F /R /X

    ( If your system is NTFS )
    cd \RECYCLER
    attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    chkdsk /F /R /X

    Empty the bin again, if necessary.

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:00:36 -0400, in
    <>
    Unk scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  7. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : <Piggybacked -- thanks Unk>
    :
    : To PuppyKatt:
    : -------------
    : You have a corrupted recycle bin (or file within it).
    : Open a DOS box and type:
    :
    : ( If your system is FAT32 )
    : cd \RECYCLED
    : attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    : chkdsk /F /R /X
    :
    :
    : ( If your system is NTFS )
    : cd \RECYCLER
    : attrib -R -A -S -H /S /D
    : chkdsk /F /R /X
    :
    :
    : Empty the bin again, if necessary.
    :
    :
    : On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:00:36 -0400, in
    : <>
    : Unk scrawled:
    :
    : >On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:14:58 -0500, "PuppyKatt"
    <>
    : >wrote:
    : >
    : >>I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened
    it,
    : >>there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
    clear
    : >>the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
    : >>delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
    and
    : >>tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
    get
    : >>into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?
    : >>
    : >Few things to try:
    : >
    : >Frist, just shutdown and restart Windows to see if that fixed it.
    : >
    : >If not, try this: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    : >See line 64 (Right side) "Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP"
    :
    :
    :
    : --
    : Basic computer maintenance
    : http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    PuppyKatt, Jun 12, 2004
  8. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Thank you Mike and Unk. Restart fixed it. What causes that?

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : <Piggybacked -- thanks Unk>
    :
    : To PuppyKatt:
    : -------------
[...]
    : >
    PuppyKatt, Jun 12, 2004
  9. PuppyKatt

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:52:18 -0500, "PuppyKatt" <>
    wrote:

    >Thank you Mike and Unk. Restart fixed it. What causes that?

    No idea, and neither does anyone else. Restart generally fixes it tho...
    With millions of lines of software code, there will always be aberrations.

    Unk, Jun 12, 2004
  10. PuppyKatt

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Re: "Windows" in recycle bin

    "PuppyKatt" <> wrote in news:I6Fyc.31965$gf1.61770
    @news1.mts.net:

    > BTW, WinXP Home.
    >
    > "PuppyKatt" <> wrote in message
    >: I noticed that my recycle bin has some stuff in it. When I opened it,
    >: there was nothing there. I attempted to "empty" the bin, just to
    > clear
    >: the icon, but when I did so, I was asked "are you sure you want to
    >: delete "WINDOWS?" Of course I do not want to. I clicked Restore,
    > and
    >: tried again, but I keep getting that same message. How did WINDOWS
    > get
    >: into my recycle bin, and how do I get it out?

    I've got this happening right now on my XP Pro machine and it has happened
    in the past. The sequence of events. Delete some files, right click the
    trash and select empty. The icon doesn't refresh and appears to have
    contents even though if you open it it's empty. If I then try to empty the
    trash I get the message Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'. If I say
    yes I get an error. Rebooting generally fixes this for me.
    Fuzzy Logic, Jun 14, 2004
  11. PuppyKatt

    xoom Guest

    Re: "Windows" in recycle bin

    thats right. rebooting only works.
    xoom, Jun 14, 2004
  12. PuppyKatt

    Boomer Guest

    Re: "Windows" in recycle bin

    (xoom) wrote:

    > thats right. rebooting only works.

    Hi

    Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
    in your reply?
    (Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)

    It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
    others have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

    Further info:

    Thank You Very Much :)
    Boomer, Jun 14, 2004