Windows Host Process (Rundll32)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Low Tech Guy, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. Low Tech Guy

    Low Tech Guy Guest

    I get this error several times a day. There is nothing in the problem
    details that I, as a lay person, would know how to resolve. Any help would
    be greatly appreciated.

    Problem signature

    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: rundll32.exe
    Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Application Timestamp: 4549bb52
    Fault Module Name: USER32.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4791adec
    Exception Code: c0000142
    Exception Offset: 00000000000b1188
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: fa3e
    Additional Information 2: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900
    Additional Information 3: fa3e
    Additional Information 4: ac0507478d1c5bd693cfc4fe3987e900

    Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 1066512

    Low Tech Guy, Jul 10, 2008

  2. Try and search the KB - at the end of this link is a search box,

    http://support.microsoft.com/search/

    type in anything (short'ish) that you can think of concerning your issue
    (ex. 'bucket error' - fault module user32.dll - or something). You will
    probably be served a lot of 'dead end' documents but there's a good
    probability that some good information is somewhere in there.

    Solving these problems involvs a bit of detective work, because the error
    report is pointing you into thin air, more or less. It's like CNN reporting
    that someone broke his leg falling on a banana-peel at 4.32 PM somewhere in
    the US, just after a shower of rain. If you wanted to find out who the
    person was you might start by checking the locations where it had been
    raining at 4.32?

    Check your Event Viewer log for errors at start-up and check the timestamps
    with the actual crash event and see if you can find anything consistent and
    build your searches from hunches - I very much guess that you are looking
    for a misbehaving 3:rd party application (one of your installed programs?)
    that ultimately triggers errors in USER32.DLL!

    Or, Repair/Restore/Re-Install?

    Run a memory test suite over night and check all your connections inside and
    out. Not much more you can do without any more clues.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 11, 2008

  3. Low Tech Guy

    Low Tech Guy Guest

    Thanks.

    I had done some research before I posted my question and came to a
    conclusion that resembles your CNN analogy - that it would be the equivalent
    of looking for a needle in a haystack.

    It sure would be a lot more helpful if the error report were not so vague.
    If it would simply provide the name of the program that crashed it would at
    least give the user a place to start.

    The good news is that, although I have received the error several times,
    nothing I was actually working on seemed to stop running. The message pops
    up and goes away, without any obvious interruption to my work. It may be
    that some background process crashed but whatever it is, it is not obvious
    to me and does not appear to impact the work I was doing.

    At this point, I may treat this more as a nuisance than a serious issue that
    may require an inordinate amount of troubleshooting time. If I notice that
    the problem starts to affect my work or the computer's performance, I may
    indeed have to go checking for the "locations where it had been raining at
    4.32".

    Low Tech Guy, Jul 11, 2008
  4. Oh, I agree - it would be a lot more helpful if error messages where more
    'to-the-point' - unfortunately, the limited number of logical operators that
    we mere humans can currently implement into our high-tech software designs,
    seldom makes it possible to employ it that way!

    The sad fact is that most errors usually occur 'somewhere else', and the
    only logic we can ask of a chip (or of software) is to tell us if an event
    is TRUE or FALSE + a handful of binary operators (AND - OR - NOT and XOR!)
    It isn't a whole lot of intelligence to write home about! But it is what we
    have got to play around with. The amazing thing is that this relative mental
    darkness actually defines all software that has been, and will be written
    for a very long time to come.

    To actually have software comunicate every event directly, we would have to
    fill up the code with 'Debugging Symbols' (something you can experience with
    some Beta software) that would be significantly slowing down execution. Much
    of the time we probably wouldn't notice, but strip out the symbols - and you
    WILL notice! So, following the logic of Monty Python - the only thing that
    is worse than having an OS (or an app) not telling us where an error
    originates, may be to have one that does?

    What many people don't appreciate, is that when you click an icon to execute
    some application, is that you are not asking the app to execute - you are
    telling the OS to execute the app for you! and any errors will most likely
    be reported through the OS!

    Since you are obviously comfortable with computers, I'll recommend putting
    your Event Viewer log to some study ( right-click My Computer - Manage!)

    Double-click any error or warning and a dialog pops up - usually with more
    or less explanatory commentary, and/or links to automatically pass on a
    notice to MS, plus a time-stamp to help you identify precisely what you were
    doing at the time of an event (like a crash or an error message pop-up?)
    which may or may not help you in the end - but the exercise may put you into
    closer contact with your machine AND your OS, which really may help you in
    the final end, I think.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 12, 2008