    triggers a decreasing set of circles to locate the cursor.

    These are just a couple of minor peeves that annoyed me last night. I
    wonder if there is a site that lists nice improvements to windows.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 8, 2005

  2. "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >I hate it when you are dragging an icon on the screen, and if you
    >accidentally drag over certain folders, the interface freezes for a few
    >seconds while it works out what is in the folder you dragged the icon
    >across.
    >
    > Also, the find text find function (ctrl-f) in both IE6 and firefox - half
    > the time I can never find the text without scanning carefullly through the
    > page - what use is 'find' if you have trouble finding the highlighted
    > text.....is there any way to change this so the text 'blinks' or
    > something? eyes can spot movement very well, but static images are not so
    > easy to see. Even better, would be the cursor find function in xp, where
    > pressing ctrl triggers a decreasing set of circles to locate the cursor.
    >
    > These are just a couple of minor peeves that annoyed me last night. I
    > wonder if there is a site that lists nice improvements to windows.

    Which version of Windows are you running and on what sort of hardware ? I've
    just tried the icon dragging exercise with Windows XP SP2 on a Toshiba M200
    (Pentium 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM) without experiencing any glitches. As regards
    finding a lost cursor, if you're running Windows XP go to the control panel,
    open the mouse applet, click the "pointer options" tab and enable the "show
    location of pointer when I press the CTRL key" option. Ta dah ! Decreasing
    circles when you hit the CTRL key :)

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, Dec 9, 2005

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in

    > As regards
    > finding a lost cursor, if you're running Windows XP go to the control
    > panel, open the mouse applet, click the "pointer options" tab and
    > enable the "show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key"
    > option. Ta dah ! Decreasing circles when you hit the CTRL key :)

    I think the OP wants that key to map to "Find Next" when searching.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 9, 2005
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    steve Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > - what use is 'find' if you have trouble finding the highlighted
    > text..

    By default, Firefox highlights the searched for text in green. Very easy to
    see.
    steve, Dec 9, 2005
  5. "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>I hate it when you are dragging an icon on the screen, and if you
    >>accidentally drag over certain folders, the interface freezes for a few
    >>seconds while it works out what is in the folder you dragged the icon
    >>across.
    >>
    >> Also, the find text find function (ctrl-f) in both IE6 and firefox - half
    >> the time I can never find the text without scanning carefullly through
    >> the page - what use is 'find' if you have trouble finding the highlighted
    >> text.....is there any way to change this so the text 'blinks' or
    >> something? eyes can spot movement very well, but static images are not
    >> so easy to see. Even better, would be the cursor find function in xp,
    >> where pressing ctrl triggers a decreasing set of circles to locate the
    >> cursor.
    >>
    >> These are just a couple of minor peeves that annoyed me last night. I
    >> wonder if there is a site that lists nice improvements to windows.
    >>

    > Which version of Windows are you running and on what sort of hardware ?
    > I've just tried the icon dragging exercise with Windows XP SP2 on a
    > Toshiba M200 (Pentium 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM) without experiencing any glitches.
    > As regards finding a lost cursor, if you're running Windows XP go to the
    > control panel, open the mouse applet, click the "pointer options" tab and
    > enable the "show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key" option. Ta
    > dah ! Decreasing circles when you hit the CTRL key :)
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    Hi, I should have explained better - if the folder I drag over happens to be
    a folder link to a mapped network drive which is currently disconnected -
    the cursor freezes for a few seconds - i am on xp pro.

    And, regarding the 'find', I did not mean the cursor - when you 'find' text
    on IE6 for example, it highlights the next occurrence of the text on the iE6
    window. But, it can be hard to find the 'highlighted' text in the window -
    it would be better, if it made the highlighted text blink for example. Then,
    it would be easier to find. Maybe i am being fussy, but every so often I
    have trouble finding text in the window.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 9, 2005
  6. "steve" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> - what use is 'find' if you have trouble finding the highlighted
    >> text..

    > By default, Firefox highlights the searched for text in green. Very easy
    > see.

    Not in my opinion - if you have a webpage which is a bit cluttered and with
    animations - it can still be hard to find.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 9, 2005
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    Rider Guest

    > "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >> "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>>I hate it when you are dragging an icon on the screen, and if you
    >>>accidentally drag over certain folders, the interface freezes for a few
    >>>seconds while it works out what is in the folder you dragged the icon
    >>>across.
    >>>
    >>> Also, the find text find function (ctrl-f) in both IE6 and firefox -
    >>> half the time I can never find the text without scanning carefullly
    >>> through the page - what use is 'find' if you have trouble finding the
    >>> highlighted text.....is there any way to change this so the text
    >>> 'blinks' or something? eyes can spot movement very well, but static
    >>> images are not so easy to see. Even better, would be the cursor find
    >>> function in xp, where pressing ctrl triggers a decreasing set of circles
    >>> to locate the cursor.
    >>>
    >>> These are just a couple of minor peeves that annoyed me last night. I
    >>> wonder if there is a site that lists nice improvements to windows.
    >>>

    >> Which version of Windows are you running and on what sort of hardware ?
    >> I've just tried the icon dragging exercise with Windows XP SP2 on a
    >> Toshiba M200 (Pentium 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM) without experiencing any glitches.
    >> As regards finding a lost cursor, if you're running Windows XP go to the
    >> control panel, open the mouse applet, click the "pointer options" tab and
    >> enable the "show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key" option.
    >> Ta dah ! Decreasing circles when you hit the CTRL key :)
    >>
    >> Brett Roberts
    >> Microsoft NZ
    >>

    > Hi, I should have explained better - if the folder I drag over happens to
    > be a folder link to a mapped network drive which is currently
    > isconnected - the cursor freezes for a few seconds - i am on xp pro.
    >
    > And, regarding the 'find', I did not mean the cursor - when you 'find'
    > text on IE6 for example, it highlights the next occurrence of the text on
    > the iE6 window. But, it can be hard to find the 'highlighted' text in the
    > window - it would be better, if it made the highlighted text blink for
    > example. Then, it would be easier to find. Maybe i am being fussy, but
    > every so often I have trouble finding text in the window.

    Evertime i've used Ctrl+F to find, it displays what it found in highlight
    blue and just above the status bar. From memory, it is always just above the
    status bar at the bottom .... thats how I know where to look for the result
    of the find.

    Rider
    Rider, Dec 10, 2005
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    steve Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> - what use is 'find' if you have trouble finding the highlighted
    >>> text..

    >> By default, Firefox highlights the searched for text in green. Very easy
    >> see.

    > Not in my opinion - if you have a webpage which is a bit cluttered and
    > with animations - it can still be hard to find.

    OK...but not usually a problem for me. I avoid crud "kaleidoscope" web sites
    like the plague.
    steve, Dec 10, 2005