windows going mental

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by gimp, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. gimp

    gimp Guest

    today all sorts of crazy crap started happening in windowsXP, first off
    the (default) firewall stopped working, and other probs, including AVG
    updater won't work and reports bad install.

    trying to enable the firewall reports:
    "firewall settings cannot be displayed because the assocaited service is
    not running. do you want to enable the firewall/ics?"

    clicking yes just reports "can't enable firewall/ics". (yay!).

    when i right click on my computer
    "the application or DLL C:\windows\system32\esent.dll is not a valid
    windows image. please check this against your installation date."

    what the hell does that mean...?? it is a legitimate windows licence,
    about 2 months old. i did a full virus scan with AVG and couldn't find
    anything.

    ?

    gimp, Mar 27, 2006

  2. gimp

    XPD Guest

    "gimp" <> wrote in message
    > when i right click on my computer
    > "the application or DLL C:\windows\system32\esent.dll is not a valid
    > windows image. please check this against your installation date."
    >
    > what the hell does that mean...?? it is a legitimate windows licence,
    > about 2 months old. i did a full virus scan with AVG and couldn't find
    > anything.
    >
    > ?

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20709829.html

    Check that out...should help.

    XPD, Mar 27, 2006

  3. gimp

    impossible Guest

    "gimp" <> wrote in message
    > today all sorts of crazy crap started happening in windowsXP, first
    > off the (default) firewall stopped working, and other probs,
    > including AVG updater won't work and reports bad install.
    >
    > trying to enable the firewall reports:
    > "firewall settings cannot be displayed because the assocaited
    > service is not running. do you want to enable the firewall/ics?"
    >
    > clicking yes just reports "can't enable firewall/ics". (yay!).
    >
    > when i right click on my computer
    > "the application or DLL C:\windows\system32\esent.dll is not a valid
    > windows image. please check this against your installation date."
    >
    > what the hell does that mean...?? it is a legitimate windows
    > licence, about 2 months old. i did a full virus scan with AVG and
    > couldn't find anything.
    >
    > ?

    Do you have all the latest XP updates installed? Check here for a
    Windows KB article that might be relevant to your problem. Seems there
    was a bug in Automatic Updates that would sometimes corrupt essent.dll

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910437

    Alternatively, go....Start > Run sfc /scannow

    That will replace corrupted OS files with known good versions.

    impossible, Mar 27, 2006
  4. gimp

    Dave Taylor Guest

    gimp <> wrote in news:pYKVf.8855$JZ1.326657
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > i did a full virus scan with AVG and couldn't find
    > anything.

    That is probably because you have bigger problems.

    Try this in safe mode:
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
    a-squared (a-squared) is a complementary product to antivirus software and
    desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes
    in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in
    detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms
    and Spyware (Adware). a-squared fills the gap that malware writers exploit.

    Do you have any kind of anti-spyware installed, or have you been trusting
    AVG to protect from all types of nasties it was never designed to do?

    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 27, 2006
  5. gimp

    gimp Guest

    gimp, Mar 27, 2006
  6. gimp

    gimp Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > Do you have all the latest XP updates installed? Check here for a
    > Windows KB article that might be relevant to your problem. Seems there
    > was a bug in Automatic Updates that would sometimes corrupt essent.dll
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910437
    >
    > Alternatively, go....Start > Run sfc /scannow
    >
    > That will replace corrupted OS files with known good versions.

    i last updated on the weekend i think... heh would suck if a windows
    update caused the problem :) hopefully copying the dll from the XP CD
    will work...

    gimp, Mar 27, 2006
  7. gimp

    gimp Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > gimp <> wrote in news:pYKVf.8855$JZ1.326657
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Do you have any kind of anti-spyware installed, or have you been trusting
    > AVG to protect from all types of nasties it was never designed to do?

    lol yeah i guess so... i have NIS on my home machine though. i doubt its
    a spyware/malware issue but will have a look at that program anyway,
    thanks for the link.

    gimp, Mar 27, 2006
  8. gimp

    gimp Guest

    gimp, Mar 27, 2006
  9. gimp

    Fran Guest

    gimp wrote:

    > XPD wrote:
    >> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20709829.html
    >>
    >> Check that out...should help.

    > that fixed my firewall - thanks :) AVG is still corrupted, but i think
    > that was because it screwed up during an update, i'll trash it and get
    > the latest NIS.

    God no!
    Stay with AVG, just reinstall it - It has a repair option then.

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Apr 2, 2006