Windows Goes Back To The CLI—But Don’t Call It That!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. Reading in the latest NZ PC World some advice about troubleshooting Windows
    sound problems, I came across this:

    Click start, type “system volume†in the Search box and press Enter. In
    the System Volume dialogue box that pops up, check that the volume ...

    Click Start, type “sound†in the Search box and press Enter. In the
    dialogue that pops up choose Sound, then check ...

    Click Start, type “device manager†in the Search box and press Enter.

    So in order to bring up the System Volume control panel, they have to type
    “system volumeâ€. To bring up the Sound control panel, they have to type
    “Soundâ€. To bring up the Device Manager, they have to type “Device Managerâ€.
    How is this better than a command line? You’re just typing the name of the
    program you want to run. Plus you need to click a “Start†button every time.

    The reason for this is plain: the collection of Windows control panels has
    become so sprawling and complex (as well as so capriciously rearranged from
    version to version), that it is simply no longer practical to expect users
    to find individual items in any other way. The only way to make the GUI
    manageable again is to embed a CLI within it. But don’t call it that, or the
    marketing department will have a fit...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Re: Windows Goes Back To The CLI—But Don’t Call It That!

    On Oct 21, 10:00 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Reading in the latest NZ PC World some advice about troubleshooting Windows
    > sound problems, I came across this:
    >
    >     Click start, type “system volume” in the Search box and press Enter. In
    >     the System Volume dialogue box that pops up, check that the volume ...
    >
    >     Click Start, type “sound” in the Search box and press Enter. In the
    >     dialogue that pops up choose Sound, then check ...
    >
    >     Click Start, type “device manager” in the Search box and press Enter.
    >
    > So in order to bring up the System Volume control panel, they have to type
    > “system volume”. To bring up the Sound control panel, they have to type
    > “Sound”. To bring up the Device Manager, they have to type “Device Manager”.
    > How is this better than a command line? You’re just typing the name of the
    > program you want to run. Plus you need to click a “Start” button every time.
    >
    > The reason for this is plain: the collection of Windows control panels has
    > become so sprawling and complex (as well as so capriciously rearranged from
    > version to version), that it is simply no longer practical to expect users
    > to find individual items in any other way. The only way to make the GUI
    > manageable again is to embed a CLI within it. But don’t call it that, or the
    > marketing department will have a fit...

    You don't even use Windows so you really have no idea at all aside
    from the wilful misconceptions that you form while reading things.

    I'm not even going to bother explaining this particular power user
    feature to you because, no matter how clearly and correctly I might do
    so, you are completely incapable of admitting it when you're
    (frequently) wrong.

    Also, you're unhealthily obsessed with Windows and Microsoft.
    Nik Coughlin, Oct 21, 2010

  3. In message
    <>, Nik
    Coughlin wrote:

    > I'm not even going to bother explaining this particular power user
    > feature to you ...

    “Power user†... yeah right. Seems to be a term for people who don’t
    actually know anything technically, they have just learned how to point and
    click their way around really fast. Like trained lab rats in a maze.

    Only, give them a slightly different maze, and suddenly they’re ignorant
    newbies again.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 22, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-10-21, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Reading in the latest NZ PC World some advice about troubleshooting Windows
    > sound problems, I came across this:
    >
    > Click start, type ?system volume? in the Search box and press Enter. In
    > the System Volume dialogue box that pops up, check that the volume ...
    >
    > Click Start, type ?sound? in the Search box and press Enter. In the
    > dialogue that pops up choose Sound, then check ...
    >
    > Click Start, type ?device manager? in the Search box and press Enter.
    >
    > So in order to bring up the System Volume control panel, they have to type
    > ?system volume?. To bring up the Sound control panel, they have to type
    > ?Sound?. To bring up the Device Manager, they have to type ?Device Manager?.
    > How is this better than a command line? You?re just typing the name of the
    > program you want to run. Plus you need to click a ?Start? button every time.
    >
    > The reason for this is plain: the collection of Windows control panels has
    > become so sprawling and complex (as well as so capriciously rearranged from
    > version to version), that it is simply no longer practical to expect users
    > to find individual items in any other way. The only way to make the GUI
    > manageable again is to embed a CLI within it. But don?t call it that, or the
    > marketing department will have a fit...

    No the users will
    Gordon, Oct 22, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-10-21, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    ><>, Nik
    > Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not even going to bother explaining this particular power user
    >> feature to you ...

    > ?Power user? ... yeah right. Seems to be a term for people who don?t
    > actually know anything technically, they have just learned how to point and
    > click their way around really fast. Like trained lab rats in a maze.
    >
    > Only, give them a slightly different maze, and suddenly they?re ignorant
    > newbies again.

    So, Lawrence, given any maze what is the rule to follow to get out
    (fastest)?
    Gordon, Oct 22, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    On 22/10/10 10:15, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > On Oct 21, 10:00 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> Reading in the latest NZ PC World some advice about troubleshooting Windows
    >> sound problems, I came across this:
    >>
    >> Click start, type “system volume” in the Search box and press Enter. In
    >> the System Volume dialogue box that pops up, check that the volume ...
    >>
    >> Click Start, type “sound” in the Search box and press Enter. In the
    >> dialogue that pops up choose Sound, then check ...
    >>
    >> Click Start, type “device manager” in the Search box and press Enter.
    >>
    >> So in order to bring up the System Volume control panel, they have to type
    >> “system volume”. To bring up the Sound control panel, they have to type
    >> “Sound”. To bring up the Device Manager, they have to type “Device Manager”.
    >> How is this better than a command line? You’re just typing the name of the
    >> program you want to run. Plus you need to click a “Start” button every time.

    No you don't have to go that way. I actually like the way that you can
    add the controls to your desktop or whatever.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Oct 22, 2010