    it in the proper place in the computer. Just wondering about the pro and
    con. AS I said the computer came like this already installed and I do not
    have any window software. Thanks to all
    Tommy, Feb 19, 2007

  2. Tommy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Tommy wrote:
    > I have my computer for 5 years and I received a notice from Microsoft
    > doing a past update that my XP pro SP2 is not a Windows Genuine key.
    > I can just update for 149.00 they said 0n there site.

    If I had a computer with no operating system, I wouldn't pay MS $149 for
    XP. The last computer I bought came with Linspire 5 installed and cost
    less than $150. So, you could buy a new computer with an OS and a disk
    for $150. Or, you could get a free linux distro and install it.

    If you buy that license from MS, it will only permit you to use that OS
    on that computer which is 5 years old and likely needs replacing, and
    when you replace it, depending upon how the purchase arrangements are
    made, you will be paying MS thru' the computer dealer again.

    If you *must* have MS Win XP, it would be more practical for you to buy
    a new computer with XP than to pay MS full retail for XP.

    > I would like
    > to know if it is OK to buy the Genuine key

    I wouldn't. You are getting screwed. That's not a good price for a
    license to use XP on that machine only for the short period of time you
    are going to be doing that.

    > Just wondering about the pro and con.

    All the pro is in MS's behalf and all of the con is against you.

    > AS I said the
    > computer came like this already installed and I do not have any
    > window software.

    Hopefully you got a good deal when you originally chose to buy a
    computer from nowhere or an alley with no OS disk that you are
    entitled/licensed to use. If you got screwed on that deal, don't let MS
    screw you on the next deal.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 19, 2007

  3. On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:11:06 -0500, "Tommy" <> wrote:

    >I have my computer for 5 years and I received a notice from Microsoft doing
    >a past update that my XP pro SP2 is not a Windows Genuine key. I can just
    >update for 149.00 they said 0n there site. This was built for me from a
    >computer store that is no longer around. I would like to know if it is OK
    >to buy the Genuine key and if anyone had a problem with windows after this
    >was installed. Microsoft says on there web site that this can be done
    >without any problems it will just give me a genuine key number and install
    >it in the proper place in the computer. Just wondering about the pro and
    >con. AS I said the computer came like this already installed and I do not
    >have any window software. Thanks to all

    I beleive you can by XP for around $89.00. So by a new copy and
    install it.

    -Art- (not Art)
    -Art- (not Art), Feb 19, 2007
  4. Tommy

    Smoker Guest

    "Tommy" <> wrote in message
    >I have my computer for 5 years and I received a notice from Microsoft doing
    >a past update that my XP pro SP2 is not a Windows Genuine key. I can just
    >update for 149.00 they said 0n there site. This was built for me from a
    >computer store that is no longer around. I would like to know if it is OK
    >to buy the Genuine key and if anyone had a problem with windows after this
    >was installed. Microsoft says on there web site that this can be done
    >without any problems it will just give me a genuine key number and install
    >it in the proper place in the computer. Just wondering about the pro and
    >con. AS I said the computer came like this already installed and I do not
    >have any window software. Thanks to all

    Microsoft is not always correct.
    Smoker, Feb 19, 2007
  5. On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:11:06 -0500, Tommy wrote:

    > I have my computer for 5 years and I received a notice from Microsoft doing
    > a past update that my XP pro SP2 is not a Windows Genuine key. I can just
    > update for 149.00 they said 0n there site. This was built for me from a
    > computer store that is no longer around. I would like to know if it is OK
    > to buy the Genuine key and if anyone had a problem with windows after this
    > was installed. Microsoft says on there web site that this can be done
    > without any problems it will just give me a genuine key number and install
    > it in the proper place in the computer. Just wondering about the pro and
    > con. AS I said the computer came like this already installed and I do not
    > have any window software. Thanks to all

    time to install something like mepis or ubuntu.

    --

    Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
    Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."

    http://www.spampoison.com
    http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/spam/trap.html

    noalternative, Feb 19, 2007
  6. Tommy

    mdp Guest

    Tommy wrote:
    > I have my computer for 5 years and I received a notice from Microsoft
    > doing a past update that my XP pro SP2 is not a Windows Genuine key.
    > I can just update for 149.00 they said 0n there site. This was built
    > for me from a computer store that is no longer around. I would like
    > to know if it is OK to buy the Genuine key and if anyone had a
    > problem with windows after this was installed. Microsoft says on
    > there web site that this can be done without any problems it will
    > just give me a genuine key number and install it in the proper place
    > in the computer. Just wondering about the pro and con. AS I said the
    > computer came like this already installed and I do not have any
    > window software. Thanks to all

    You can get XP Home or Pro for a lot less at lots of places. Here's one:

    http://ostg.pricegrabber.com/search...opcat_id=&Search=Go&page_id=186&lo_p=0&hi_p=0
    mdp, Feb 19, 2007
  7. Tommy

    mdp Guest

    mdp wrote:
    > Tommy wrote:
    >> I have my computer for 5 years and I received a notice from Microsoft
    >> doing a past update that my XP pro SP2 is not a Windows Genuine key.
    >> I can just update for 149.00 they said 0n there site. This was built
    >> for me from a computer store that is no longer around. I would like
    >> to know if it is OK to buy the Genuine key and if anyone had a
    >> problem with windows after this was installed. Microsoft says on
    >> there web site that this can be done without any problems it will
    >> just give me a genuine key number and install it in the proper place
    >> in the computer. Just wondering about the pro and con. AS I said the
    >> computer came like this already installed and I do not have any
    >> window software. Thanks to all

    > You can get XP Home or Pro for a lot less at lots of places. Here's
    > one:
    > http://ostg.pricegrabber.com/search...opcat_id=&Search=Go&page_id=186&lo_p=0&hi_p=0

    BTW - Make sure you buy the right one. Other wise the key will not work on
    your computer. You probably have OEM version given a store built the
    computer. Look at the Product Key, right click on My Computer, Select
    Properties. Toward the middle is the Product Key:

    xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx is an OEM version

    xxxxx-770-xxxxxxx-xxxxx (770 could be other numbers but not OEM) could be a
    retail version or a corporate version, in your case it's probably retail.
    mdp, Feb 19, 2007

    http://www.mepis.org/
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

    noalternative, Feb 19, 2007
  9. Tommy

    SJP Guest

    "-Art- (not Art)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:11:06 -0500, "Tommy" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have my computer for 5 years and I received a notice from Microsoft
    >>doing
    >>a past update that my XP pro SP2 is not a Windows Genuine key. I can just
    >>update for 149.00 they said 0n there site. This was built for me from a
    >>computer store that is no longer around. I would like to know if it is OK
    >>to buy the Genuine key and if anyone had a problem with windows after this
    >>was installed. Microsoft says on there web site that this can be done
    >>without any problems it will just give me a genuine key number and install
    >>it in the proper place in the computer. Just wondering about the pro and
    >>con. AS I said the computer came like this already installed and I do not
    >>have any window software. Thanks to all
    >>

    > I beleive you can by XP for around $89.00. So by a new copy and
    > install it.

    Or buy even!
    SJP, Feb 19, 2007
  10. Tommy

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-02-19, Tommy <> wrote:
    > I have my computer for 5 years and I received a notice from Microsoft doing
    > a past update that my XP pro SP2 is not a Windows Genuine key. I can just
    > update for 149.00 they said 0n there site. This was built for me from a
    > computer store that is no longer around. I would like to know if it is OK
    > to buy the Genuine key and if anyone had a problem with windows after this
    > was installed. Microsoft says on there web site that this can be done
    > without any problems it will just give me a genuine key number and install
    > it in the proper place in the computer. Just wondering about the pro and
    > con. AS I said the computer came like this already installed and I do not
    > have any window software. Thanks to all

    Consider installing Linux. I think that Mandriva is the most
    user-friendly 'distribution' <http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads> but
    there are plenty of others to choose from <http://distrowatch.com/>, most
    of them including a version that is free to download - perfectly
    'legally'! Some (including Mandriva) also have versions that can run
    directly from the CD or DVD without having to be 'installed' at all, which
    is a good way to see if you like them and whether or not your computer has
    any components that could be difficult to get working with Linux.

    As your machine is quite elderly, I would expect everything to work fine
    with any Linux distro, apart from the dial-up 'winmodem' - and if you have
    to use dial-up, then any operating system, even Windows, will work better
    with a real external modem.

    Linux is not Windows, so be prepared to start learning - but don't be
    afraid to try :)) Linux is not difficult, once you stop expecting it to
    be the same as Windows. If all that you do is 'stuff you can do with a
    basic Windows XP installation with no extra software', then you'll
    probably find almost any Linux distro is 'better' than Windows.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 19, 2007
  11. Tommy