Windows Genuine (dis(Advantage?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sammy, Sep 8, 2007.

  1. sammy

    sammy Guest

    Hi,

    What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or
    email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it
    said the installation was "critical."

    I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
    it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
    tremendously.

    Could there be a connection?

    What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?
    (And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a straightforward
    uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
    dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
    it though, didn't they?

    Thanks,

    Sammy
    sammy, Sep 8, 2007

  2. sammy

    ded Guest

    "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message
    > or email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I
    > think it said the installation was "critical."
    >
    > I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
    > it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
    > tremendously.
    >
    > Could there be a connection?
    >
    > What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump
    > it? (And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a
    > straightforward uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do
    > they? Bet you have to dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure
    > made it easy to install it though, didn't they?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sammy

    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/9860

    The slow running of your PC could be due to any number of factors,
    but it's doubtful to be WGA is the cause.
    ded, Sep 8, 2007

  3. sammy

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message
    > or email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I
    > think it said the installation was "critical."

    It verifies that you're running a legal copy of the Windows O/S like Windows
    XP. And MS will NOT be sending you anything in an email concerning this.

    > I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
    > it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
    > tremendously.

    It doesn't slow down you computer. It will stop you from getting Windows
    Updates if you have been verified that you don't have a legal copy of the
    O/S.

    > Could there be a connection?
    >
    > What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump
    > it? (And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a
    > straightforward uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do
    > they? Bet you have to dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure
    > made it easy to install it though, didn't they?

    See above.
    Mr. Arnold, Sep 8, 2007
  4. sammy

    Top Guest

    sammy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or
    > email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it
    > said the installation was "critical."
    >
    > I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
    > it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
    > tremendously.
    >
    > Could there be a connection?
    >
    > What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?
    > (And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a straightforward
    > uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
    > dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
    > it though, didn't they?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sammy

    Maybe uninstall update would be easier?

    Top

    --
    Signature file not found
    Top, Sep 9, 2007
  5. On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 18:02:44 -0400, "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or
    >email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it
    >said the installation was "critical."
    >
    >I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
    >it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
    >tremendously.
    >
    >Could there be a connection?
    >
    >What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?
    >(And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a straightforward
    >uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
    >dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
    >it though, didn't they?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Sammy

    If you loaded a program based upon an email from Microsoft or any
    other 'message' from Microsoft then the program is a fake and may well
    be the cause of problems with your machine.

    The WGA program is, as far as I know, not active until you try to
    download from the MS update site when it is used to check the
    authenticity of your WINXP.
    Edward W. Thompson, Sep 9, 2007
  6. sammy

    who'sthat Guest

    On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 18:02:44 -0400, "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or
    >email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it
    >said the installation was "critical."
    >
    >I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
    >it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
    >tremendously.
    >
    >Could there be a connection?
    >
    >What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?
    >(And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a straightforward
    >uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
    >dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
    >it though, didn't they?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Sammy

    Why would you install something when you have no idea what it is?
    who'sthat, Sep 9, 2007
  7. sammy

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 18:02:44 -0400, sammy wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message or

    Not a great start, here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage

    >email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think it

    MS don't send out emails about upgrades, critical patches, spammers do.

    You may subscribe to the security notification list but have to know the
    difference.

    >said the installation was "critical."
    >
    >I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think

    Yes.

    >it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
    >tremendously.

    Doesn't help not every combination of system can be testes and valid
    updated (security) do have problems sometimes.

    >Could there be a connection?

    Depends if it was a MS notice or not.

    >What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump it?

    See URL above, and
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/27/wga_server_outage_aug_2007/
    Windows Genuine Advantage cries wolf (again)
    Aargh! Server outage turns customers into pirates
    By Austin Modine in Mountain View ? More by this author
    Published Monday 27th August 2007 22:01 GMT

    www.google.com , search for disable wga

    >uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have to
    >dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to install
    >it though, didn't they?

    You won't then get access to updates / patches as easily.

    >Thanks,
    >
    >Sammy

    Me
    why?, Sep 9, 2007
  8. sammy

    sammy Guest

    "who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 18:02:44 -0400, "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>What the hell is this Windows Genuine Advantage program? I got a message
    >>or
    >>email (can't remember which) from Microsoft a few months ago and I think
    >>it
    >>said the installation was "critical."
    >>
    >>I should have read a bit about it before doing the install. I don't think
    >>it's my imagination. My system, while still working, has slowed down
    >>tremendously.
    >>
    >>Could there be a connection?
    >>
    >>What does this program do? Is it better to keep it or should people dump
    >>it?
    >>(And if it's "dump it," I'll bet Microsoft does not offer a
    >>straightforward
    >>uninstall program that makes it easy to get rid of, do they? Bet you have
    >>dive into the registrly, right? Bastards, they sure made it easy to
    >>install
    >>it though, didn't they?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Sammy

    > Why would you install something when you have no idea what it is?

    because i wanted the thrill of your helpful reply.
    sammy, Sep 10, 2007