    Any sites that still have a working download of the removal tool or have
    Microsoft shot them all down? Tried google but no luck.

    Ron

    Big Ron, Nov 23, 2006

  2. Big Ron

    Dave+Sue Guest

    "Big Ron" <> wrote in message
    news:45657b9a$0$21140$...
    > My machine has a legit OS (XP) and gets the annoying WGA popups all the
    > time.
    >
    > Any sites that still have a working download of the removal tool or have
    > Microsoft shot them all down? Tried google but no luck.
    >
    > Ron

    When you say you have a genuine "legit" installation of XP,
    is it a preinstalled OEM version? MS claim that they have
    found thousands of PC's marketed with a supposedly "legit"
    copy of XP that isn't legit ....
    MS are now actively closing off all updates to non validated XP pc's.
    Also, MS will supply free a copy of XP where it can be shown -
    receipts etc, that the user in good faith bought a PC with XP
    preinstalled that turned out to be a pirate copy.
    You really should validate your copy of XP before MS shuts it down,
    and they will...
    Read more:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892130/en-us
    Dave+Sue, Nov 23, 2006

  3. Big Ron

    Big Ron Guest

    Yes - it was pre-installed.......
    Ron

    Big Ron, Nov 23, 2006
  4. Big Ron

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Big Ron wrote:
    > Yes - it was pre-installed.......
    > Ron
    >
    > "Dave+Sue" <> wrote in message
    >> "Big Ron" <> wrote in message
    >>> My machine has a legit OS (XP) and gets the annoying WGA popups all the
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> Any sites that still have a working download of the removal tool or have
    >>> Microsoft shot them all down? Tried google but no luck.
    >>>
    >>> Ron

    >> When you say you have a genuine "legit" installation of XP,
    >> is it a preinstalled OEM version? MS claim that they have
    >> found thousands of PC's marketed with a supposedly "legit"
    >> copy of XP that isn't legit ....
    >> MS are now actively closing off all updates to non validated XP pc's.
    >> Also, MS will supply free a copy of XP where it can be shown -
    >> receipts etc, that the user in good faith bought a PC with XP
    >> preinstalled that turned out to be a pirate copy.
    >> You really should validate your copy of XP before MS shuts it down,
    >> and they will...
    >> Read more:

    Who made the computer? Gateway? Dell? Compaq? HP? Where did you buy it?
    If any of the major PC companies made it, and you bought it at a major
    retail or online store (or direct from the manufacturer online) then I
    can't think of any reason why it would have a pirated copy of XP on it.
    AnonyMouse, Nov 23, 2006
  5. Big Ron

    PeeCee Guest

    "Big Ron" <> wrote in message
    > My machine has a legit OS (XP) and gets the annoying WGA popups all the
    > time.
    >
    > Any sites that still have a working download of the removal tool or have
    > Microsoft shot them all down? Tried google but no luck.
    >
    > Ron

    Ron

    WGA is a right Royal PITA for owners of legitimately licensed copys of XP

    I've had three machines over the bench with WGA Notification detecting an
    Illegal copy of XP.
    Needless to say the three PC's all had legit copies of XP. Two were OEM
    isntalls with disks direct from Microsoft, and the third was an HP laptop
    that I had known from fresh out of the box.

    One of them was fixed by running the "MGADiag.exe" diagnostic from
    Microsoft, the other two needed reinstalling XP to fix.

    Having said that in all three cases the OS was pretty knocked around by
    virus/spyware infections.

    The HP laptop was the one that responded to the MGADiag.exe trick but in the
    end the OS was so battered it was quicker to restore from CD after backing
    the data up. May be worth considering for yourself.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Nov 24, 2006