    So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
    there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
    circulating on the Internet these days?

    Registered Jack, Aug 26, 2006

  2. Registered Jack

    beenthere Guest

    "Registered Jack" <> wrote in message
    news:t1THg.304190$...
    >I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom on
    >the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started downloading
    >right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to unselect it from a
    >list.
    >
    > So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is there
    > some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files circulating on
    > the Internet these days?

    Did the same to me. Told me mine wasn`t genuine, but I
    can still update. I bought it, it`s mine. Stuff `em.

    beenthere, Aug 26, 2006

  3. Registered Jack

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:48:41 +0000, Registered Jack Has Frothed:

    **** the updates.

    Meat Plow, Aug 26, 2006
  4. Registered Jack

    GHalleck Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:48:41 +0000, Registered Jack Has Frothed:
    >

    >>I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom on
    >>the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
    >>downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
    >>unselect it from a list.
    >>
    >>So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is there
    >>some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files circulating on
    >>the Internet these days?

    > **** the updates.

    Wrong attitude. F--k Microsoft. It is still possible to get
    the security updates (advised) by downloading them manually
    from the Microsoft Download center. And as for hotfixes, there
    aren't that many in the first place but they can be obtained
    from several reputable sites if not having someone with a
    "validated" machine doing the download and re-distributing.

    GHalleck, Aug 26, 2006
  5. Registered Jack

    Ron Martell Guest

    Registered Jack <> wrote:

    >I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
    >on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
    >downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
    >unselect it from a list.
    >
    >So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
    >there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
    >circulating on the Internet these days?

    Automatic updates (for critical updates only) will still work if your
    machine has not passed the WGA test.

    Manual updates via the Windows Update site do require WGA, as do most
    new downloads from the Microsoft download sites.

    If people were honest then there would be no need for license
    validation procedures such as WGA, hardware dongles, etc. But there
    appears to be a lot of people around who have the idea that "it is
    okay to steal from a rich person".

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Aug 26, 2006
  6. Registered Jack

    Plato Guest

    Registered Jack wrote:

    > So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
    > there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
    > circulating on the Internet these days?

    There are dozens of other OS's you can use. Use one of them if you do
    not like MS ware.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 27, 2006
  7. Registered Jack

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Ron Martell.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > If people were honest then there would be no need for license
    > validation procedures such as WGA, hardware dongles, etc. But there
    > appears to be a lot of people around who have the idea that "it is
    > okay to steal from a rich person".

    And Mircosoft are honest? All of their core software and ideas have been
    "borrowed" from elsewhere. MS-DOS started life as QDOS until Billy bought
    the rights and rebranded it.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Aug 27, 2006
  8. Registered Jack

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:48:41 GMT, Registered Jack <> wrote:

    >I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
    >on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
    >downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
    >unselect it from a list.
    >
    >So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
    >there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
    >circulating on the Internet these days?

    I did the updates, then slid over here:
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tools_list.htm
    and grabbed the WGA remover.
    --

    "If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
    cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...

    - Nick DiPaolo

    Spuds, Aug 27, 2006
  9. On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:48:41 GMT, Registered Jack
    <> wrote:

    >I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
    >on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
    >downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
    >unselect it from a list.

    I checked for updates a few days ago and never struck that problem.

    OK, so it might have changed?

    No! Seems not.

    After reading your post I went to check just now and I received the
    message that "You've hidden important updates" so I clicked on
    "Restore them now" and I proceeded to check for updates.

    No new high-priority updates were available and I don't need any of
    the optional software or hardware updates so I never selected any
    updates.

    Then I clicked on "Install updates" and because none were selected I
    was returned to the original screen where I again received the message
    "You've hidden important updates".

    >So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
    >there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
    >circulating on the Internet these days?

    Even if we have to install Microsoft's WGA surely any decent firewall
    [not Microsoft's] would be able to block WGA from accessing the
    Internet anyway. :)

    I reckon though that some people might be misinterpreting the
    following message received at Windows Update:

    "High-priority updates"
    "No high-priority updates for your computer are available. To select
    other updates, use the options to the left."
    --

    John

    John Morrison, Aug 27, 2006
  10. Registered Jack

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Ron Martell wrote:

    > Registered Jack <> wrote:
    >

    >>I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
    >>on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
    >>downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
    >>unselect it from a list.
    >>
    >>So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
    >>there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
    >>circulating on the Internet these days?

    > Automatic updates (for critical updates only) will still work if your
    > machine has not passed the WGA test.
    >
    > Manual updates via the Windows Update site do require WGA, as do most
    > new downloads from the Microsoft download sites.
    >
    > If people were honest then there would be no need for license
    > validation procedures such as WGA, hardware dongles, etc. But there
    > appears to be a lot of people around who have the idea that "it is
    > okay to steal from a rich person".
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    While there is certainly a degree of real piracy, Microsoft has
    elected to deal with numbers versus the proportion of product
    that has actually been "stolen". Even if 99.99% of all Windows
    users were honest, the residual percentage is still a very large
    number. The only way to insure 100% compliance (or zero-tolerance
    for infractions) is total control. Since all good citizens abhor
    non-compliance, then 100% "managed computing" is essential and we
    are being prepared for this eventuality. Just how much is the
    Canadian government in lock-step with the Bush Administration and
    the monopolists (i.e., the filthy rich) of the Republican Party?

    Mistoffolees, Aug 27, 2006
  11. Registered Jack

    Ron Martell Guest

    Ponder <> wrote:

    >Hiya Ron Martell.
    >
    >In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> If people were honest then there would be no need for license
    >> validation procedures such as WGA, hardware dongles, etc. But there
    >> appears to be a lot of people around who have the idea that "it is
    >> okay to steal from a rich person".

    > And Mircosoft are honest? All of their core software and ideas have been
    >"borrowed" from elsewhere. MS-DOS started life as QDOS until Billy bought
    >the rights and rebranded it.

    Buying something and paying the asking price, or negotiating an agreed
    price, is honest.

    Ron Martell, Aug 27, 2006
  12. Registered Jack

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Ron Martell.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Buying something and paying the asking price, or negotiating an agreed
    > price, is honest.

    How about trying to force out competition? Many people think that tactic
    is dishonest incurring many millions in fines.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Aug 27, 2006
  13. Registered Jack

    aaa Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > Registered Jack <> wrote:
    >
    >>I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
    >>on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
    >>downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
    >>unselect it from a list.
    >>
    >>So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
    >>there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
    >>circulating on the Internet these days?

    > Automatic updates (for critical updates only) will still work if your
    > machine has not passed the WGA test.
    >
    > Manual updates via the Windows Update site do require WGA, as do most
    > new downloads from the Microsoft download sites.
    >
    > If people were honest then there would be no need for license
    > validation procedures such as WGA, hardware dongles, etc. But there
    > appears to be a lot of people around who have the idea that "it is
    > okay to steal from a rich person".

    Yes that's true.
    There will always be people who steal or who want something for nothing, and
    who justify it by saying it's OK to steal from the rich. (It's a new take on
    the Robin Hood theme -- steal from the rich and keep it for yourself).
    But that doesn't change the fact that Microsoft is as rich as it is through
    selling products at inflated prices.
    One of Windows' strong points is that it is user-friendly for the
    non-technical bod, and that's arguably why Microsoft has such a huge hold on
    the home user market. Windows can run on relatively cheap machines and is
    not that hard to get to grips with & to get hardware working with it.
    With such a huge hold on the home user market, Microsoft can pretty much
    charge whatever the market will bear (i.e. what users are prepared to pay/be
    fleeced by).
    How long though before Microsoft requires us to have 666 tattooed on our
    foreheads before we can buy any of their products?

    aaa, Aug 27, 2006
  14. Registered Jack

    > Ponder <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hiya Ron Martell.
    >>
    >>In <news:> you wrote:
    >>
    >>> If people were honest then there would be no need for license
    >>> validation procedures such as WGA, hardware dongles, etc. But there
    >>> appears to be a lot of people around who have the idea that "it is
    >>> okay to steal from a rich person".

    >> And Mircosoft are honest? All of their core software and ideas have been
    >>"borrowed" from elsewhere. MS-DOS started life as QDOS until Billy bought
    >>the rights and rebranded it.

    > Buying something and paying the asking price [...] is honest.

    Not if the asking price is inflated and you have no viable/affordable
    alternative.
    That's the whole antitrust/captive clientele thing.
    A "loyal customer" generally means a "customer with no easy way of escaping
    our stranglehold".
    Many firms are set up to run on Windows software & locked into that whole
    set-up.
    If they can make the switch to another OS, or if it's feasible/affordable,
    then they'll do so.
    You're no doubt aware of this already, since it's hardly new news, but I'll
    post the link anyway:

    But how long before the whole situation reverses and Linux becomes the new
    Microsoft as firms become locked into a Linux set-up?
    Microsoft will then slash its prices or even give software away for free in
    order to tempt people back to the Evil Empire.

    At least then there'll be a measure of competition in the marketplace, which
    has been lacking to date.

    aaa, Aug 27, 2006
  15. Registered Jack

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya aaa.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    >>> And Mircosoft are honest? All of their core software and ideas have been
    >>>"borrowed" from elsewhere. MS-DOS started life as QDOS until Billy bought
    >>>the rights and rebranded it.

    >> Buying something and paying the asking price [...] is honest.

    > Not if the asking price is inflated and you have no viable/affordable
    > alternative.

    Erm... re-read the thread and start again ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Aug 27, 2006
  16. Registered Jack

    elaich Guest

    Ron Martell <> wrote in

    > Buying something and paying the asking price, or negotiating an agreed
    > price, is honest.

    When Billy already knew that QDOS was actually a pirated version of CP/M?

    elaich, Aug 27, 2006
  17. Registered Jack

    Ron Martell Guest

    Ponder <> wrote:

    >Hiya Ron Martell.
    >
    >In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Buying something and paying the asking price, or negotiating an agreed
    >> price, is honest.

    > How about trying to force out competition? Many people think that tactic
    >is dishonest incurring many millions in fines.

    Look back up the thread. The comment was made that Microsoft was
    dishonest because it bought the rights to what became MS-DOS.

    Ron Martell, Aug 27, 2006
  18. Registered Jack

    Ron Martell Guest

    elaich <> wrote:

    >Ron Martell <> wrote in
    >
    >> Buying something and paying the asking price, or negotiating an agreed
    >> price, is honest.

    >When Billy already knew that QDOS was actually a pirated version of CP/M?

    Pirated? If there was any substance to that allegation then Digital
    Research would have sued and won.

    Ron Martell, Aug 27, 2006
  19. aaa wrote:

    > But how long before the whole situation reverses and Linux becomes the new
    > Microsoft as firms become locked into a Linux set-up?

    You think you can live that long?

    Don't hold your breath.

    Weatherlawyer, Aug 27, 2006
  20. Registered Jack

    Guest

    "Weatherlawyer" <> wrote:

    >aaa wrote:
    >>
    >> But how long before the whole situation reverses and Linux becomes the new
    >> Microsoft as firms become locked into a Linux set-up?

    >You think you can live that long?
    >
    >Don't hold your breath.

    It's happen'd already in my lifetime, the contender was just
    different.

    Was a time Apple had the education market, Microsoft took that from
    them.

    Ever seen a school upgrade their system? Just rooms full of old Apple
    equipment heading out the door.

    --
    Board Dots
    http://www.boredmuch.com/view.php?id=764