Windows Genuine Advantage Expands...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 25, 2006

  2. On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:33:28 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > Some will notice an automatic update today...
    >
    > More information and screenshot http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393

    Quote:
    "The patch takes effect if a PC user has opted to automatically update
    Windows the moment he goes online. It will also take effect should a PC
    user manually download the latest Windows updates."

    IOW, you have no say - it shall be installed. Is that what it means?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 26, 2006

  3. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:33:28 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> Some will notice an automatic update today...
    >>
    >> More information and screenshot http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393

    > Quote:
    > "The patch takes effect if a PC user has opted to automatically update
    > Windows the moment he goes online. It will also take effect should a PC
    > user manually download the latest Windows updates."
    >
    > IOW, you have no say - it shall be installed. Is that what it means?

    It's optional. If you have the automatic update in automatic mode (er) then
    it will be installed. If you have it in manual mode, then you don't have to
    install at all. You can even hide it from theupdate list.

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 26, 2006
  4. "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:33:28 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>> Some will notice an automatic update today...
    >>>
    >>> More information and screenshot http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393

    >> Quote:
    >> "The patch takes effect if a PC user has opted to automatically update
    >> Windows the moment he goes online. It will also take effect should a PC
    >> user manually download the latest Windows updates."
    >>
    >> IOW, you have no say - it shall be installed. Is that what it means?
    >>

    > It's optional. If you have the automatic update in automatic mode (er)
    > then it will be installed. If you have it in manual mode, then you don't
    > have to install at all. You can even hide it from theupdate list.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mauricio Freitas
    > www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    > www.geekzone.co.nz/geekzoneblog.asp
    > Software for Pocket PC: www.geekzone.co.nz/store
    > Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    If you choose not to install this one, then, does it prevent future patches
    from being installed?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 26, 2006
  5. "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    > "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message

    >>> Quote:
    >>> "The patch takes effect if a PC user has opted to automatically update
    >>> Windows the moment he goes online. It will also take effect should a PC
    >>> user manually download the latest Windows updates."
    >>>
    >>> IOW, you have no say - it shall be installed. Is that what it means?

    >> It's optional. If you have the automatic update in automatic mode (er)
    >> then it will be installed. If you have it in manual mode, then you don't
    >> have to install at all. You can even hide it from theupdate list.
    >>

    > If you choose not to install this one, then, does it prevent future
    > patches from being installed?

    Not sure. AFAIK if you don't validate then yes, non-critical patches will
    not be downloaded, but the validation step is separate from the nagging
    step.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 26, 2006
  6. On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:33:28 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > Some will notice an automatic update today...
    >
    > More information and screenshot http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393

    I expect it to be cracked by lunchtime.....
    wogers nemesis, Apr 26, 2006
  7. Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

    David Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > Some will notice an automatic update today...
    >
    > More information and screenshot http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393

    What exactly does this do once it finds pirated software? I have my
    updates set to 'download but prompt me before installing,' and noticed
    this but of course deselected it and removed it from the updates list.
    In the description it said it would 'help' users to obtain genuine copies.
    David, Apr 26, 2006
  8. "David" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >> Some will notice an automatic update today...
    >>
    >> More information and screenshot http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393
    >>

    > What exactly does this do once it finds pirated software? I have my
    > updates set to 'download but prompt me before installing,' and noticed
    > this but of course deselected it and removed it from the updates list. In
    > the description it said it would 'help' users to obtain genuine copies.

    It will put a system tray icon that will show up every boot or on a schedule
    with a message about being a non-genuine copy. It will also prevent
    non-critical updates of being installed.

    The "help" I think is to lead the user to a wbsite where it can purchase a
    license.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 26, 2006
  9. Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

    Shane Guest

    David wrote:

    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >> Some will notice an automatic update today...
    >>
    >> More information and screenshot http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393
    >>

    > What exactly does this do once it finds pirated software? I have my
    > updates set to 'download but prompt me before installing,' and noticed
    > this but of course deselected it and removed it from the updates list.
    > In the description it said it would 'help' users to obtain genuine copies.

    I wondered what happens to <end user> caught with a dodgy OEM copy installed
    by now defunct <PC Builder>
    Im guessing that cheap comp is about to get dearer?

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, Apr 26, 2006
  10. Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

    Keith Guest

    In article <444ec200$>, lid
    says...

    > It's optional. If you have the automatic update in automatic mode (er) then
    > it will be installed. If you have it in manual mode, then you don't have to
    > install at all. You can even hide it from theupdate list.

    Hi Mauricio

    I run mine on 'notify but don't load' and I have chosen not to install.
    How do you hide it?
    Keith, Apr 26, 2006
  11. "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>> Some will notice an automatic update today...
    >>>
    >>> More information and screenshot http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393
    >>>

    >> What exactly does this do once it finds pirated software? I have my
    >> updates set to 'download but prompt me before installing,' and noticed
    >> this but of course deselected it and removed it from the updates list.
    >> In the description it said it would 'help' users to obtain genuine
    >> copies.

    > I wondered what happens to <end user> caught with a dodgy OEM copy
    > installed
    > by now defunct <PC Builder>
    > Im guessing that cheap comp is about to get dearer?

    If this is an illegal O&M copy and there's a receipt then Microsoft will
    provide a genuine copy with a discounted price - this is an old thing,
    before this update.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 26, 2006
  12. "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > In article <444ec200$>, lid
    > says...
    >
    >> It's optional. If you have the automatic update in automatic mode (er)
    >> then
    >> it will be installed. If you have it in manual mode, then you don't have
    >> install at all. You can even hide it from theupdate list.
    >>

    > Hi Mauricio
    >
    > I run mine on 'notify but don't load' and I have chosen not to install.
    > How do you hide it?

    Open the Windows Update site, and then look for the update. There should be
    a box "Do not show this update" underneath it.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Apr 26, 2006
  13. Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

    joe_90 Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > Some will notice an automatic update today...

    .... and a critical one at that.

    Presumably it's critical because if we don't accept it we'll be shut out
    from future updates?
    joe_90, Apr 26, 2006
  14. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] exclaimed:
    > Some will notice an automatic update today...
    >
    > More information and screenshot http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/393

    Fair enough. Want to use commercial software, pay for it.
    Too expensive, use Linux ;)
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Apr 29, 2006
  15. Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:59:55 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
    <> exclaimed:

    >"Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> David wrote:

    >>> What exactly does this do once it finds pirated software? I have my
    >>> updates set to 'download but prompt me before installing,' and noticed
    >>> this but of course deselected it and removed it from the updates list.
    >>> In the description it said it would 'help' users to obtain genuine
    >>> copies.

    >> I wondered what happens to <end user> caught with a dodgy OEM copy
    >> installed
    >> by now defunct <PC Builder>
    >> Im guessing that cheap comp is about to get dearer?
    >>

    >If this is an illegal O&M copy and there's a receipt then Microsoft will
    >provide a genuine copy with a discounted price - this is an old thing,
    >before this update.

    OEM, not O&M

    Stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer"

    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Original equipment manufacturer
    Fred Dagg, Apr 30, 2006
  16. Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > If you choose not to install this one, then, does it prevent future
    > patches from being installed?

    Almost certainly.....if not now then later......and the result is an
    orphaned Windows system.

    I wouldn't mind if it was just system support and maintenance....and not new
    restrictions on usage and added cripple-ware compliance.

    Crap like this made going to Linux a no-brainer.
    s.te.v.e., Apr 30, 2006
  17. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:59:55 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >>If this is an illegal O&M copy and there's a receipt then Microsoft will
    >>provide a genuine copy with a discounted price - this is an old thing,
    >>before this update.

    > OEM, not O&M
    >
    > Stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer"
    >
    > http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Original equipment manufacturer

    Such a little thing...

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], May 2, 2006