    as a screen saver I think...... I tried doing a scanreg / restore but the
    piccture still shows up....
    Is this a virus

    don, Jan 12, 2004

  2. don

    Rosco Guest

    don cried out

    > My sister-inlaw has an unusual problem.... her computer starts and
    > you see the Windows logo appear, and for a half a second you see
    > the Windows task bar flicker, so you know it is there, But you
    > cannot get to the taskbar or see any desktop icons because the
    > screen is then filled with a picture which seems to block
    > everything else..... even though the mouse works there is no
    > getting around this picture which is an old picture that she had
    > once used as a screen saver I think...... I tried doing a scanreg
    > / restore but the piccture still shows up....
    > Is this a virus

    sounds like a problem my friend is having, I have found out that a
    friend of hers had the exact same probelem come to find out it is a
    virus and she had to reformat. I am about to reformat my friends
    computer. It locks everything out soo bad that you cant even boot safe
    mode right?

    Rosco, Jan 12, 2004

  3. don

    don Guest

    do you know the name of the virus.....
    I can not boot in safe mode either

    don, Jan 12, 2004
  4. don

    gigajosh Guest

    If you're running Norton Antivirus, it could be the latest update of this
    software causing the hang.
    I had it too.
    As soon as you've entered your password, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and try to
    open the Task Manager (by pressing the Task Manager button).
    If you can get this far, that's fairly good news. It means we may be able to
    get you back in. Let me know if you do get this far, and I'll try to come up
    with some further suggestion within 24hrs (gotta check some stuff).
    Maybe this alone (opening Task Manager) is enough to prevent the hang, but
    I'm not so sure (I can hear other people groaning)
    Anyway, this is a start, so give it a try.

    gigajosh, Jan 12, 2004
  5. NO, if it's the NAV/certificate issue, all you have to do is unplug the
    network connection and everything will work fine.

    This sounds much more like a virus.

    Tergiversative, Jan 12, 2004
  6. don

    Ben Myers Guest

    This can be caused by a missing or corrupt "c:\windows\system\shdocvw.dll" file.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jan 13, 2004
  7. don

    Rosco Guest

    gigajosh cried out

    > If you're running Norton Antivirus, it could be the latest update
    > of this software causing the hang.
    > I had it too.
    > As soon as you've entered your password, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and
    > try to open the Task Manager (by pressing the Task Manager
    > button). If you can get this far, that's fairly good news. It
    > means we may be able to get you back in. Let me know if you do get
    > this far, and I'll try to come up with some further suggestion
    > within 24hrs (gotta check some stuff). Maybe this alone (opening
    > Task Manager) is enough to prevent the hang, but I'm not so sure
    > (I can hear other people groaning) Anyway, this is a start, so
    > give it a try.
    >

    > "don" <> wrote in message
    >> do you know the name of the virus.....
    >> I can not boot in safe mode either
    >>
    >> "Rosco" <> wrote in
    >> message news:Xns946EA9DD3B4Arosco111shawuscom@209.25.157.130...
    >> > don cried out

    >> > sounds like a problem my friend is having, I have found out
    >> > that a friend of hers had the exact same probelem come to find
    >> > out it is a virus and she had to reformat. I am about to
    >> > reformat my friends computer. It locks everything out soo bad
    >> > that you cant even boot safe mode right?

    >> > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    >> > World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!
    >> > =-----

    Appreciate it but I don't think my friends is NAV as she doesn't have
    it. She has Mcafee. But yes I can access the task manager. Depending
    on the second I hit ctrl+alt+del I can either get just exlorer, or
    just vssat and avconsol both Mcaffee programs. By the way, no I don't
    know the name of the virus if it is.

    Rosco, Jan 13, 2004
  8. don

    gigajosh Guest

    "Rosco" <> wrote in message
    > gigajosh cried out
    >
    > > If you're running Norton Antivirus, it could be the latest update
    > > of this software causing the hang.
    > > I had it too.
    > > As soon as you've entered your password, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and
    > > try to open the Task Manager (by pressing the Task Manager
    > > button). If you can get this far, that's fairly good news. It
    > > means we may be able to get you back in. Let me know if you do get
    > > this far, and I'll try to come up with some further suggestion
    > > within 24hrs (gotta check some stuff). Maybe this alone (opening
    > > Task Manager) is enough to prevent the hang, but I'm not so sure
    > > (I can hear other people groaning) Anyway, this is a start, so
    > > give it a try.
    > >

    > > "don" <> wrote in message
    > >> do you know the name of the virus.....
    > >> I can not boot in safe mode either
    > >>
    > >> "Rosco" <> wrote in
    > >> message news:Xns946EA9DD3B4Arosco111shawuscom@209.25.157.130...

    > Appreciate it but I don't think my friends is NAV as she doesn't have
    > it. She has Mcafee. But yes I can access the task manager. Depending
    > on the second I hit ctrl+alt+del I can either get just exlorer, or
    > just vssat and avconsol both Mcaffee programs. By the way, no I don't
    > know the name of the virus if it is.

    OK, if it's not NAV, I'll leave it there....
    Except to suggest creating an Emergency Boot Disk with McAfee (on another PC
    obviously) and booting with it to see if there are any viruses lurking in
    the boot sector.

    gigajosh, Jan 13, 2004