    Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Feb 7, 2007

  2. Miguel

    Earl Grey Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    > or Vista pre-installed.
    >
    > Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    apple.co.nz :)
    Earl Grey, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    On Feb 7, 2:47 pm, Earl Grey <> wrote:
    > Miguel wrote:
    > > Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    > > or Vista pre-installed.

    > > Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    > > Regards
    > > Miguel

    > apple.co.nz :)

    My apologies......To rephrase my question:

    Does anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without a pre-
    installed operating system.

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Miguel

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 6 Feb 2007 17:45:12 -0800, "Miguel" <>
    exclaimed:

    >Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    >or Vista pre-installed.
    >
    >Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    Good luck with that.

    You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up
    and have to buy XP/Vista at retail rather than OEM?

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...
    Fred Dagg, Feb 7, 2007
  5. Miguel

    Earl Grey Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On 6 Feb 2007 17:45:12 -0800, "Miguel" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    >> or Vista pre-installed.
    >>
    >> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    > Good luck with that.
    >
    > You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up
    > and have to buy XP/Vista at retail rather than OEM?

    Unless he buys it with a mouse. ;-)
    Earl Grey, Feb 7, 2007
  6. Miguel

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On 6 Feb 2007 17:45:12 -0800, "Miguel" <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without
    >>> XP or Vista pre-installed.
    >>>
    >>> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    >> Good luck with that.
    >>
    >> You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up
    >> and have to buy XP/Vista at retail rather than OEM?
    >>

    > Unless he buys it with a mouse. ;-)

    Or has a retail copy lying around that's not currently installed on a
    machine?
    Nik Coughlin, Feb 7, 2007
  7. Miguel

    none Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    > or Vista pre-installed.
    >
    > Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    It's virtually impossible to get a notebook in NZ without a bundled MS OS.

    A friend of mine picked one up in Japan.

    Even if you do find one, it won't save you "hundreds" of dollars. Just
    find one you like and buy it, the MS tax barely features in the price.
    none, Feb 7, 2007
  8. Miguel

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:05:04 +1300, Earl Grey <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On 6 Feb 2007 17:45:12 -0800, "Miguel" <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    >>> or Vista pre-installed.
    >>>
    >>> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    >> Good luck with that.
    >>
    >> You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up
    >> and have to buy XP/Vista at retail rather than OEM?
    >>

    >Unless he buys it with a mouse. ;-)

    Actually, I don't think he can buy it with a mouse. The clause says
    "non-peripheral hardware component (such as a hard drive, motherboard,
    memory, CPU, etc.)" - one could reasonably argue that a mouse is a
    peripheral.

    Best to get it with a new stick of RAM.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 7, 2007
  9. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    Hello Fred....

    >Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > Good luck with that.

    Thanks for the best wishes.

    > You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up

    I'm quite sure I won't be returning to MS. After twenty something
    years using MS I'm now a confirmed Xubuntu user.

    > and have to buy XP/Vista

    >From an economic point of view I wouldn't buy Vista. It's got nothing

    I want or need that my old XP Home doesn't do.

    I hate sounding like Lawrence or DM but as the old Hank Williams song
    says:

    I saw the light, I saw the light
    No more darkness, no more night
    No more BSOD, no more *** STOP: 0X00000050
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

    (or something like that)

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Feb 7, 2007
  10. Miguel

    Phil Guest

    Miguel wrote, On 7/02/07 2.45 p:
    > Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    > or Vista pre-installed.
    >
    > Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    Even if you do manage to find an OS-free laptop, how are you so sure
    they'll refund you the cost of the OS?

    -Phil
    Phil, Feb 7, 2007
  11. Miguel

    Fred Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > Miguel wrote, On 7/02/07 2.45 p:
    >> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    >> or Vista pre-installed.
    >>
    >> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    I saw one in Dick Smith's once - maybe about a year ago, and I can't
    remember the brand. What drew my atention to it was the low price, and
    didn't realise there was no OS until I looked closer.
    Fred, Feb 7, 2007
  12. Miguel

    Earl Grey Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:05:04 +1300, Earl Grey <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> On 6 Feb 2007 17:45:12 -0800, "Miguel" <>
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> Good luck with that.
    >>>
    >>> You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up
    >>> and have to buy XP/Vista at retail rather than OEM?
    >>>

    >> Unless he buys it with a mouse. ;-)

    > Actually, I don't think he can buy it with a mouse. The clause says
    > "non-peripheral hardware component (such as a hard drive, motherboard,
    > memory, CPU, etc.)" - one could reasonably argue that a mouse is a
    > peripheral.

    A vendor who wants to sell it won't argue.
    Earl Grey, Feb 7, 2007
  13. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    On Feb 7, 4:44 pm, Phil <> wrote:

    > Even if you do manage to find an OS-free laptop, how are you so sure
    > they'll refund you the cost of the OS?
    >
    > -Phil

    Hello Phil....If I can't find an NZ retailer who sells OS-free laptops
    then I'd like to try and do what these guys did......

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/110706-dell-windows.html
    or

    ....Partly for the experience. But also for the actual refund. To some
    of the posters here $100 isn't much but to me it is.

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Feb 7, 2007
  14. Miguel

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 17:31:42 +1300, Earl Grey <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:

    >>> Unless he buys it with a mouse. ;-)

    >> Actually, I don't think he can buy it with a mouse. The clause says
    >> "non-peripheral hardware component (such as a hard drive, motherboard,
    >> memory, CPU, etc.)" - one could reasonably argue that a mouse is a
    >> peripheral.
    >>

    >A vendor who wants to sell it won't argue.

    Heh, true.

    Many will just sell it without hardware, anyway...

    Fred Dagg, Feb 7, 2007
  15. Miguel

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 6 Feb 2007 19:07:53 -0800, "Miguel" <>
    exclaimed:

    >Hello Fred....
    >
    >>Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    >> Good luck with that.

    >Thanks for the best wishes.
    >
    >> You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up

    >I'm quite sure I won't be returning to MS. After twenty something
    >years using MS I'm now a confirmed Xubuntu user.
    >
    >> and have to buy XP/Vista

    >>From an economic point of view I wouldn't buy Vista. It's got nothing

    >I want or need that my old XP Home doesn't do.
    >
    >I hate sounding like Lawrence or DM but as the old Hank Williams song
    >says:
    >
    >I saw the light, I saw the light
    >No more darkness, no more night
    >No more BSOD, no more *** STOP: 0X00000050
    >PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    >
    >(or something like that)

    LOL! Fair enough.

    Didn't realise you were already experienced with Linux. Lots of the
    "I'm going to flag MS and try this Linux thing"-type posts are from
    those that haven't, don't realise what they're getting into, and
    quietly change back a month later, after wasting a LOT of time on it.

    Anyway, genuinely, good luck!

    Fred Dagg, Feb 7, 2007
  16. On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:11:04 +1300, "Fred" <>
    wrote:

    >"Phil" <> wrote in message
    >> Miguel wrote, On 7/02/07 2.45 p:
    >>> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    >>> or Vista pre-installed.
    >>>
    >>> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

    >I saw one in Dick Smith's once - maybe about a year ago, and I can't
    >remember the brand. What drew my atention to it was the low price, and
    >didn't realise there was no OS until I looked closer.

    It was probably one of the Desknotes or something called that.

    They ran on a Transmeta CPU and was built to a price. They were around
    $1200 I think with the nearest laptop at the time at closer to $2000.

    Nowdays laptops have dropped in price considerably: I just picked up a
    Turion Dual Core laptop with 512MB ram, DVD writer, 15" widescreen, tv
    out, firewire, yada yada yada and a copy of Office 2007 for $1072.
    Jason Clinton, Feb 7, 2007
  17. Miguel

    Fred Guest

    "Jason Clinton" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:11:04 +1300, "Fred" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Phil" <> wrote in message

    >>I saw one in Dick Smith's once - maybe about a year ago, and I can't
    >>remember the brand. What drew my atention to it was the low price, and
    >>didn't realise there was no OS until I looked closer.

    > It was probably one of the Desknotes or something called that.
    >
    > They ran on a Transmeta CPU and was built to a price. They were around
    > $1200 I think with the nearest laptop at the time at closer to $2000.

    That sounds about right from what I recall.
    Fred, Feb 7, 2007
  18. Miguel

    Enkidu Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > On Feb 7, 2:47 pm, Earl Grey <> wrote:
    >> Miguel wrote:
    >>> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
    >>> or Vista pre-installed.
    >>> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.
    >>> Regards
    >>> Miguel

    >> apple.co.nz :)

    > My apologies......To rephrase my question:
    >
    > Does anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without a pre-
    > installed operating system.

    The OEM OS costs the OEM only about $100, maybe less. You will not save
    much at all.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Feb 7, 2007
  19. On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:19:10 +1300, none wrote:

    > Even if you do find one, it won't save you "hundreds" of dollars. Just
    > find one you like and buy it, the MS tax barely features in the price.

    Why should anyone have to pay money to M$ when they don't want to use M$'s
    software?

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918
    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 7, 2007
  20. In article <45c99b82$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >Miguel wrote:
    >>> apple.co.nz :)

    >> My apologies......To rephrase my question:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without a pre-
    >> installed operating system.
    >>

    >The OEM OS costs the OEM only about $100, maybe less. You will not save
    >much at all.

    ... but yes, it is certainly possible :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 8, 2007