    working.

    TIA
    jst

    jst2swt4, Apr 18, 2006

  2. jst2swt4

    Fred Guest

    found this; use at your discretion

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

    Fred, Apr 18, 2006

  3. jst2swt4

    jst2swt4 Guest

    Thank you very much Fred.... worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!

    jst

    jst2swt4, Apr 18, 2006
  4. jst2swt4

    Joseph Guest

    I rec'd MSN dial-up news this week about free downloads of McAfee
    anti-virus and McAfee personal firewall for dial-up subscribers.
    I installed the firewall and I love it. I control what dials out and
    what dials in. It logs the incoming attempts and I can ban the IP's.
    I've already banned several chinese attempts and misc others.

    hank

    Joseph, Apr 22, 2006
  5. Joseph wrote:
    > I rec'd MSN dial-up news this week about free downloads of McAfee
    > anti-virus and McAfee personal firewall for dial-up subscribers.
    > I installed the firewall and I love it. I control what dials out and
    > what dials in.

    Are your twisting dialing and connections?

    BTW, you cannot control outgoing connections reliably, only for those
    programs who are so friendly to be controlled (so there's obviously no
    need to do so). Malware simply circumvents or (if you're running with
    admin rights) terminates your personal "firewall".

    And McAfee stuff offers wonderful insecurities with ActiveX stuff.

    > It logs the incoming attempts and I can ban the IP's.

    That's a good way to shoot yourself in the food.
    man IP-Spoofing

    > I've already banned several chinese attempts and misc others.

    LOL. I'd suggest to say you're either unable or stupid to simply ignore
    noisy traffic.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Apr 22, 2006
  6. jst2swt4

    donnie Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:22:51 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> wrote:

    >That's a good way to shoot yourself in the food.

    ######################################
    I shot myself in the food once. I'll never do that again.

    donnie, Apr 22, 2006
  7. jst2swt4

    Joseph Guest

    Re: windows firewall (Seppi)

    Thank you for the information you gave me, even though you didn't mean
    to.
    Having only had a computer for less than 4 months I have a lot to learn,
    and the tone of your comments are not the best way to learn anything.

    This is supposed to be a discussion group on security issues.

    By the way, have you seen the McAfee personal plus firewall in action?
    I'm sure there are some who would appreciate your learned opinion.

    hank

    Joseph, Apr 23, 2006