Windows Firewall vs Nvidia Firewall

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Which is the best to use, or do i use both?
    =?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=, Nov 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Did nVidia firewall ever get fixed? It was the source of beaucoup problems
    (for x64 Edition users) a while back...

    M. Murcek, Nov 23, 2005

  3. I also had problems while using it, thought it was just my stupidity.
    Thanx

    =?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Windows firewall. The nVidia firewall has been a pain point and is
    extensively referenced in this ng. Do a search here on "nvidia firewall"
    (using the Find button in your tool bar at the top of OE) between the dates
    11/1/2005 and 11/23/2005 and you will see what I mean by "extensively". The
    biggest issue has been loss of internet connectivity.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 23, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    No problem, Swannie. I'm using Windows firewall, Microsoft AntiSpyware beta
    (32 bit) and eTrust Antivirus (64 bit) and I've had no problems. Also, I'm
    sitting behind an ancient (4 years old) firewall appliance. So far, so good
    (though the firewall appliance will have to be replaced as IP v6 becomes
    more prevalent) Some posters here have been having good luck with
    TinyPersonalFirewall 64 bit version. It was in beta a while back, I haven't
    checked lately to see if it's gone gold yet...

    M. Murcek, Nov 23, 2005
  6. The Windows Firewall, I would say is the best choice, its easy to configure
    and very much improved since it was upgraded after SP2 for XP x86 so its not
    the same firewall that was in the initial release. nVidia Firewall just a
    PITA.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 23, 2005
  7. Don't use both (that's a general rule, one firewall per machine, please.)
    And don't use the Nvidia firewall. It's a POS that has been nothing but
    trouble for x64 users.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 23, 2005
  8. loss of internet connectivity: My findings exactly.
    Thanx ppl

    =?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=, Nov 23, 2005
  9. As has been posted repeatedly:
    Known problem:
    Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
    least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
    this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
    the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 23, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:

    When I retired my FX51 processor and board due to video card
    issues and converted the system to another A8N-E with a 4400x2 processor. I'm
    saving it to build a server when I get time to learn how. I had to install
    the NF4 drivers instead of the NF3 drivers. On the x86 and x64 partitions I
    installed the 6.69 and 6.70 drivers with the firewall, made the modification
    to the Active armor that was posted earlier but don't remember when or by
    whom in the x86 partition, Active armor wasn't listed separately in the x64
    firewall. Since then I added raid drives (mirrored) to run x64 only with the
    same drivers. Currently I'm running a triple boot system, x86, x64 and x64
    raid with the Nvidia firewall installed. Now I get an "allow" pop-up when a
    new program needs access and no problems with IE or downloads in 3 weeks.
    Since then I added the Nvidia firewall to my other 4400x2 system with the
    same configuration with no problems.

    Dennis Pack, Nov 24, 2005
  11. I'm sure it can be made to work. I'm also sure that the default of "not
    installed, but not un-installed" is a disaster. And I'd much rather have
    folks here on Windows Firewall -- we can support them and we know that the
    next iteration of driver disaster from nvidia won't suddenly mess things up.

    I have no problem with someone at your level who wants to run it.
    Personally, I wouldn't, but that's me.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 24, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:
    I agree with you fully. I had all kinds of problems when I setup my
    first NF4 board. I was very surprised that it worked properly from the later
    build. I'm not recommending it, I'm just trying it since it's there.

    Dennis Pack, Nov 24, 2005