    I am wondering what might have turned it on again. Dumb user? (me). Or
    could windows wireless networking management have done it? Or some other
    application?
    Warwick, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Warwick

    David Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > I run a third party firewall. I disabled the windows one after installing
    > SP2.
    >
    > I have been playing with an ad-hoc wireless network. I couldn't get it to
    > run, and discovered that the windows firewall was on again, and the
    > security centre was warning me about running two firewalls at once.
    >
    > I am wondering what might have turned it on again. Dumb user? (me). Or
    > could windows wireless networking management have done it? Or some other
    > application?

    Start->Run "services.msc"
    Find "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and disable it
    David, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Warwick

    David Guest

    David, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:28:14 +1300, David wrote:

    > Warwick wrote:
    >> [12 quoted lines suppressed]

    > Start->Run "services.msc"
    > Find "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and disable it

    Shit thats what it is mate

    I am using ICS to put one of the wireless connected pc's on the internet
    when it needs to be.

    A few people I have talked to have said they are not going anywhere near
    SP2. I suspect they were wiser than me.

    Thanks
    Warwick, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Warwick

    Warwick, Dec 17, 2004
  6. Warwick wrote:
    > I am wondering what might have turned it on again. Dumb user? (me). Or
    > could windows wireless networking management have done it? Or some other
    > application?

    not absolutly certain, but after sp2 as soon as a new network connection
    is made, it gets FW'd.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 17, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 17, 2004
  8. Warwick

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:28:14 +1300, David wrote:
    >
    >> Warwick wrote:
    >>> [12 quoted lines suppressed]

    >> Start->Run "services.msc"
    >> Find "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and disable it

    > Shit thats what it is mate
    >
    > I am using ICS to put one of the wireless connected pc's on the internet
    > when it needs to be.
    >
    > A few people I have talked to have said they are not going anywhere near
    > SP2. I suspect they were wiser than me.
    >
    > Thanks

    I suspect that, in fact, they not too wise at all
    C9H8O4, Dec 17, 2004
  9. Warwick

    C9H8O4 Guest

    C9H8O4, Dec 17, 2004
  10. Warwick

    Mark S Guest

    "C9H8O4" <> wrote in message
    > "Warwick" <> wrote in message

    > >> Start->Run "services.msc"
    > >> Find "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and disable

    it

    > > Shit thats what it is mate
    > >
    > > I am using ICS to put one of the wireless connected pc's on the internet
    > > when it needs to be.
    > >
    > > A few people I have talked to have said they are not going anywhere near
    > > SP2. I suspect they were wiser than me.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > I suspect that, in fact, they not too wise at all

    You suspected wrong, see todays press on the latest SP2 "fix".
    Mark S, Dec 19, 2004
  11. Warwick

    Mark S Guest

    Mark S, Dec 19, 2004
  12. Warwick

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "Mark S" <> wrote in message
    > "C9H8O4" <> wrote in message
    >> "Warwick" <> wrote in message

    > it
    >> >
    >> > Shit thats what it is mate
    >> >
    >> > I am using ICS to put one of the wireless connected pc's on the
    >> > internet
    >> > when it needs to be.
    >> >
    >> > A few people I have talked to have said they are not going anywhere
    >> > near
    >> > SP2. I suspect they were wiser than me.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >

    >> I suspect that, in fact, they not too wise at all
    >>

    > You suspected wrong, see todays press on the latest SP2 "fix".

    And..... ? Did you notice the recent Mac fixes or the huge PHP
    vulnerabilities recently announced ? Software has flaws, it's a fact of
    life. It's all about keeping up-to-date with patches as they're released.
    C9H8O4, Dec 20, 2004
  13. Warwick

    C9H8O4 Guest

    C9H8O4, Dec 20, 2004
  14. Warwick

    Mark S Guest

    "C9H8O4" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark S" <> wrote in message
    > > "C9H8O4" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Warwick" <> wrote in message

    disable
    > > it

    > >> I suspect that, in fact, they not too wise at all
    > >>

    > > You suspected wrong, see todays press on the latest SP2 "fix".
    > >

    > And..... ? Did you notice the recent Mac fixes or the huge PHP
    > vulnerabilities recently announced ? Software has flaws, it's a fact of
    > life. It's all about keeping up-to-date with patches as they're released.

    Sigh another literacy challenged reader...
    Mark S, Dec 21, 2004
  15. Warwick

    Mark S Guest

    Mark S, Dec 21, 2004
  16. Warwick

    Jay Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:28:14 +1300, David wrote:
    >
    >> Warwick wrote:
    >>> [12 quoted lines suppressed]

    >> Start->Run "services.msc"
    >> Find "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and disable it

    > Shit thats what it is mate
    >
    > I am using ICS to put one of the wireless connected pc's on the internet
    > when it needs to be.
    >
    > A few people I have talked to have said they are not going anywhere near
    > SP2. I suspect they were wiser than me.

    Your suspicions may be unfounded

    Jay, Dec 22, 2004
  17. Warwick

    Jay Guest

    Jay, Dec 22, 2004
  18. Warwick

    Adder Guest

    In article <Y5ayd.413$> in nz.comp on Wed, 22
    Dec 2004 21:19:02 +1300, Jay <nospam@*here.com> says...

    > "Warwick" <> wrote in message

    > >> Start->Run "services.msc"
    > >> Find "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and disable it

    > > Shit thats what it is mate
    > >
    > > I am using ICS to put one of the wireless connected pc's on the internet
    > > when it needs to be.
    > >
    > > A few people I have talked to have said they are not going anywhere near
    > > SP2. I suspect they were wiser than me.

    > Your suspicions may be unfounded

    there's been various claims, none of the boxes I installed it on so far
    have had probs with it
    Adder, Dec 22, 2004
  19. Warwick

    Adder, Dec 22, 2004
  20. Warwick

    Mark S Guest

    "Adder" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Y5ayd.413$> in nz.comp on Wed, 22
    > Dec 2004 21:19:02 +1300, Jay <nospam@*here.com> says...
    > >
    > > "Warwick" <> wrote in message

    it

    > > > Shit thats what it is mate
    > > >
    > > > I am using ICS to put one of the wireless connected pc's on the

    internet
    > > > when it needs to be.
    > > >
    > > > A few people I have talked to have said they are not going anywhere

    near
    > > > SP2. I suspect they were wiser than me.

    > > Your suspicions may be unfounded

    > there's been various claims, none of the boxes I installed it on so far
    > have had probs with it

    Well plenty of systems I work with have. Quite a lot of networking apps have
    required tweaking, such that between the release and the apps being patched
    a lot of functionality ceased. MS played with the internal loopback
    functionality, plus the firewall itself can be easily disabled without user
    knowledge.

    Perhaps in a simple scenario its ok.
    Mark S, Dec 23, 2004