    ask permission?
    thanks

    bye Adriano
    Adriano, Sep 19, 2004

  2. Adriano

    HonestJohn Guest

    "Adriano" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I have just enabled Windows firewall but when I open every
    > software
    > and I go online the firewall doesn't ask any permission.
    > Perhaps does it work for default so? That is for default it does
    > not
    > ask permission?
    > thanks
    >
    > bye Adriano

    It should be enabled by default, it also starts earlier during the
    boot-up process and remains on longer, whilst the PC is shutting
    down to provide extra protection. There are a lot of additional
    configuration options too and as soon as SP2 is installed you
    should be faced with a stream of pop-up boxes asking permission
    for various applications to use the Internet. However, ICF still
    doesn't block outgoing connections, which means you may still be
    better off using a commercial Firewall or one of the freeware
    offerings like Zone Alarm, Outpost or Sygate.
    HonestJohn, Sep 19, 2004

  3. Adriano

    HonestJohn Guest

    "HonestJohn" <> wrote in message

    > "Adriano" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I have just enabled Windows firewall but when I open every
    >> software
    >> and I go online the firewall doesn't ask any permission.
    >> Perhaps does it work for default so? That is for default it
    >> does not
    >> ask permission?
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> bye Adriano

    > It should be enabled by default, it also starts earlier during
    > the boot-up process and remains on longer, whilst the PC is
    > shutting down to provide extra protection. There are a lot of
    > additional configuration options too and as soon as SP2 is
    > installed you should be faced with a stream of pop-up boxes
    > asking permission for various applications to use the Internet.
    > However, ICF still doesn't block outgoing connections, which
    > means you may still be better off using a commercial Firewall or
    > one of the freeware offerings like Zone Alarm, Outpost or
    > Sygate.

    SP2, that is!
    HonestJohn, Sep 19, 2004
  4. Adriano

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    You've got SP2 installed "HonestJohn"

    Experienced any problems your self??

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Sep 19, 2004
  5. Adriano

    HonestJohn Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > You've got SP2 installed "HonestJohn"
    >
    > Experienced any problems your self??
    >
    > LJ

    None at all, LJ... but give it time!
    HonestJohn, Sep 19, 2004
  6. Adriano

    Thor Guest

    "Adriano" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have just enabled Windows firewall but when I open every software
    > and I go online the firewall doesn't ask any permission.
    > Perhaps does it work for default so? That is for default it does not
    > ask permission?
    > thanks

    Windows firewall does not monitor all outbound connections. It will not ask
    permission for all programs that try and access the net. It will however,
    ask if you want to continue blocking some programs that try and use ports
    that are already blocked by default. That is the extent of it's outbound
    connection monitoring, if you can call it that. If you want full
    inbound/outbound connection monitoring, then you will need to use a 3rd
    party firewall program like Zonealarm, Kerio, BlackIce, etc.
    Thor, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Adriano

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I've had it installed about a month now HonestJohn and am happy with it.

    I don't know what all the hype is about it. Most of the people who post
    don't even have it installed.

    I know some have problems with it because a couple of my friends have. I
    don't know if it's because they have old computers or just the software they
    use.

    I have run:

    Windows XP Pro - SP2 Installed.

    2Ghz Processor.

    80 Gb HD.

    512 Ram.

    If anyone has a more modern comp than me and has problems with SP2 I'll be
    interested to heard from you. Also it depends on which progs you use,
    Firewalls, Antivirus etc.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Sep 19, 2004
  8. Adriano

    Plato Guest

    Adriano wrote:

    > I have just enabled Windows firewall but when I open every software
    > and I go online the firewall doesn't ask any permission.
    > Perhaps does it work for default so? That is for default it does not
    > ask permission?

    XP firewall is a standard firewall. Permissions are asked for outgoing
    transmissions which XP firewall doesn't do.
    Plato, Sep 20, 2004