Windows Firewall setting is blocked

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?aHVtbWluZ2JpcmQ=?=, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. I don't understand why my windows firewall settings is greyed out on the OFF
    position. In the settings menu it says 'For your security, some policy's are
    controlled by Group Policy'.
    I am the owner of my computer, is this because I also have windows live one
    care on my system?? OR is someone hacking into my computer??

    Please set my mind at ease and let me know that my computer is still safe.

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?aHVtbWluZ2JpcmQ=?=, Feb 2, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?aHVtbWluZ2JpcmQ=?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Doesn't OneCare include its own firewall? It may have diabled the Windows
    firewall.
    Security Center should tell you if a firewall is active.

    - Aaron

    "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I don't understand why my windows firewall settings is greyed out on the
    >OFF
    > position. In the settings menu it says 'For your security, some policy's
    > are
    > controlled by Group Policy'.
    > I am the owner of my computer, is this because I also have windows live
    > one
    > care on my system?? OR is someone hacking into my computer??
    >
    > Please set my mind at ease and let me know that my computer is still safe.
    >
    > Thanks
    Aaron Kelley, Feb 2, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Hi Aaron,
    Yes OneCare does have its own firewall. I was hoping that is why my network
    windows firewall settings have been greyed out. When you say Security Center
    should tell me, do you mean going to my firewall settings or should I be
    contacting Microsoft to find out???
    I dont mean to sound dahhh but this really is starting to make me nervous
    because of my business information on this system.
    I do have OneCare so I should be safe RIGHT..


    "Aaron Kelley" wrote:

    > Doesn't OneCare include its own firewall? It may have diabled the Windows
    > firewall.
    > Security Center should tell you if a firewall is active.
    >
    > - Aaron
    >
    > "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I don't understand why my windows firewall settings is greyed out on the
    > >OFF
    > > position. In the settings menu it says 'For your security, some policy's
    > > are
    > > controlled by Group Policy'.
    > > I am the owner of my computer, is this because I also have windows live
    > > one
    > > care on my system?? OR is someone hacking into my computer??
    > >
    > > Please set my mind at ease and let me know that my computer is still safe.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    >
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?aHVtbWluZ2JpcmQ=?=, Feb 2, 2007
    #3
  4. =?Utf-8?B?aHVtbWluZ2JpcmQ=?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Security Center is in the control panel and lets you see the overall
    security status of your system.

    - Aaron

    "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Aaron,
    > Yes OneCare does have its own firewall. I was hoping that is why my
    > network
    > windows firewall settings have been greyed out. When you say Security
    > Center
    > should tell me, do you mean going to my firewall settings or should I be
    > contacting Microsoft to find out???
    > I dont mean to sound dahhh but this really is starting to make me nervous
    > because of my business information on this system.
    > I do have OneCare so I should be safe RIGHT..
    >
    >
    > "Aaron Kelley" wrote:
    >
    >> Doesn't OneCare include its own firewall? It may have diabled the
    >> Windows
    >> firewall.
    >> Security Center should tell you if a firewall is active.
    >>
    >> - Aaron
    >>
    >> "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> >I don't understand why my windows firewall settings is greyed out on the
    >> >OFF
    >> > position. In the settings menu it says 'For your security, some
    >> > policy's
    >> > are
    >> > controlled by Group Policy'.
    >> > I am the owner of my computer, is this because I also have windows live
    >> > one
    >> > care on my system?? OR is someone hacking into my computer??
    >> >
    >> > Please set my mind at ease and let me know that my computer is still
    >> > safe.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    >>
    >>
    Aaron Kelley, Feb 2, 2007
    #4
  5. Thank you I will try this. I was just in the computer Security General
    newsgroup and came across a very disturbing child porne message. I am
    reporting it right now but once again thank you for pointing me in the right
    direction.
    I hope it works.
    Lisa

    "Aaron Kelley" wrote:

    > Security Center is in the control panel and lets you see the overall
    > security status of your system.
    >
    > - Aaron
    >
    > "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hi Aaron,
    > > Yes OneCare does have its own firewall. I was hoping that is why my
    > > network
    > > windows firewall settings have been greyed out. When you say Security
    > > Center
    > > should tell me, do you mean going to my firewall settings or should I be
    > > contacting Microsoft to find out???
    > > I dont mean to sound dahhh but this really is starting to make me nervous
    > > because of my business information on this system.
    > > I do have OneCare so I should be safe RIGHT..
    > >
    > >
    > > "Aaron Kelley" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Doesn't OneCare include its own firewall? It may have diabled the
    > >> Windows
    > >> firewall.
    > >> Security Center should tell you if a firewall is active.
    > >>
    > >> - Aaron
    > >>
    > >> "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> >I don't understand why my windows firewall settings is greyed out on the
    > >> >OFF
    > >> > position. In the settings menu it says 'For your security, some
    > >> > policy's
    > >> > are
    > >> > controlled by Group Policy'.
    > >> > I am the owner of my computer, is this because I also have windows live
    > >> > one
    > >> > care on my system?? OR is someone hacking into my computer??
    > >> >
    > >> > Please set my mind at ease and let me know that my computer is still
    > >> > safe.
    > >> >
    > >> > Thanks
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?aHVtbWluZ2JpcmQ=?=, Feb 2, 2007
    #5
  6. All settings are in the green, BUT firewall is being controlled by Group
    Policy... That is my concern, I should be controlling how firewall settings
    are running not having it controlled by some GROUP POLICY... WOW I am
    getting nervous. I am on hold with microsoft support so I'll ask them if
    this is happening because of OneCare.
    Thank You So Much

    "Aaron Kelley" wrote:

    > Security Center is in the control panel and lets you see the overall
    > security status of your system.
    >
    > - Aaron
    >
    > "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hi Aaron,
    > > Yes OneCare does have its own firewall. I was hoping that is why my
    > > network
    > > windows firewall settings have been greyed out. When you say Security
    > > Center
    > > should tell me, do you mean going to my firewall settings or should I be
    > > contacting Microsoft to find out???
    > > I dont mean to sound dahhh but this really is starting to make me nervous
    > > because of my business information on this system.
    > > I do have OneCare so I should be safe RIGHT..
    > >
    > >
    > > "Aaron Kelley" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Doesn't OneCare include its own firewall? It may have diabled the
    > >> Windows
    > >> firewall.
    > >> Security Center should tell you if a firewall is active.
    > >>
    > >> - Aaron
    > >>
    > >> "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> >I don't understand why my windows firewall settings is greyed out on the
    > >> >OFF
    > >> > position. In the settings menu it says 'For your security, some
    > >> > policy's
    > >> > are
    > >> > controlled by Group Policy'.
    > >> > I am the owner of my computer, is this because I also have windows live
    > >> > one
    > >> > care on my system?? OR is someone hacking into my computer??
    > >> >
    > >> > Please set my mind at ease and let me know that my computer is still
    > >> > safe.
    > >> >
    > >> > Thanks
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?aHVtbWluZ2JpcmQ=?=, Feb 2, 2007
    #6
  7. This is caused by OneCare and is something you're going to have to live
    with. You have two choices - use OneCare and let it control your computer
    for you, or don't use it and take control back.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64


    "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I don't understand why my windows firewall settings is greyed out on the
    >OFF
    > position. In the settings menu it says 'For your security, some policy's
    > are
    > controlled by Group Policy'.
    > I am the owner of my computer, is this because I also have windows live
    > one
    > care on my system?? OR is someone hacking into my computer??
    >
    > Please set my mind at ease and let me know that my computer is still safe.
    >
    > Thanks
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2007
    #7
  8. Thank you for letting me know that it is OneCare creating this. I am happy
    to have OneCare have control now that I know who has the control.
    Thanks Again

    "hummingbird" wrote:

    > I don't understand why my windows firewall settings is greyed out on the OFF
    > position. In the settings menu it says 'For your security, some policy's are
    > controlled by Group Policy'.
    > I am the owner of my computer, is this because I also have windows live one
    > care on my system?? OR is someone hacking into my computer??
    >
    > Please set my mind at ease and let me know that my computer is still safe.
    >
    > Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?aHVtbWluZ2JpcmQ=?=, Feb 5, 2007
    #8
  9. That's a reasonable decision. I wish OneCare were a bit clearer with folks
    that they were doing this, but it is in there - just doesn't exactly stand
    out.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64


    "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thank you for letting me know that it is OneCare creating this. I am
    > happy
    > to have OneCare have control now that I know who has the control.
    > Thanks Again
    >
    > "hummingbird" wrote:
    >
    >> I don't understand why my windows firewall settings is greyed out on the
    >> OFF
    >> position. In the settings menu it says 'For your security, some policy's
    >> are
    >> controlled by Group Policy'.
    >> I am the owner of my computer, is this because I also have windows live
    >> one
    >> care on my system?? OR is someone hacking into my computer??
    >>
    >> Please set my mind at ease and let me know that my computer is still
    >> safe.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2007
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Anonymous

    Windows XP Firewall/Internet Connection Firewall

    Anonymous, Dec 1, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    903
    Anonymous
    Dec 1, 2003
  2. Guy Pzt
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    771
    Guy Pzt
    Oct 1, 2005
  3. James
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    521
    James
    Aug 15, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SnVzdHBhc3Q0MA==?=

    Can't configure Windows Firewall on laptop after setting up networ

    =?Utf-8?B?SnVzdHBhc3Q0MA==?=, Sep 22, 2007, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    665
    =?Utf-8?B?SnVzdHBhc3Q0MA==?=
    Sep 22, 2007
  5. Jill

    Wireless network connection blocked by firewall

    Jill, Feb 7, 2008, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    851
Loading...

Share This Page