Windows firewall disabling its self

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sheila, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. sheila

    sheila Guest

    hiya

    Just got a new Laptop. I've turned off my Norton Firewall as it was causing
    networking problems i.e couldn't connect from laptop to desktop. I turned
    on the windows firewall with exceptions.

    The problem: for some reason I keep finding on start up windows firewall
    turned off. I checked Norton and that firewall is still permaneatly
    disabled. Would anyone know why this is or how to fix.

    Happens when Laptop is off and unconnected.

    Also keep getting constant MS RPC Network DDE BO attacks blocked from the
    Norton Itrusion security with Norton Internet Security 2005. One IP address
    attacking being 86.131.19.219.

    Machines Blurb:

    Dell 9300 Laptop
    Windows XP
    Intel Pro 2200BG Wireless thinngy

    Compaq desktop
    Windows XP
    Wireless PCI 802.11b/g adapter WN4201B (Wireless SoftAP - the access point
    thinggy)

    Compaq desktop Network connections showing:
    BT Openworld Broadband - connected firewalled sharing - USB ADSL PPP (YELLOW
    PADLOCK ON THIS))

    Local Area Connection - Network cable UNPLUGGED - (RealtekRTL8139/810x
    Family Fast Ethernet Nic) (RED CROSS ON THIS)

    Wireless Network Connection - connected firewalled - Wireless PCI 802.11b/g
    adapter WN4201B ( YELLOW PADLOCK ON THIS)

    thanks
    sheila, Nov 9, 2005

  2. sheila

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:16:05 +0000 (UTC), sheila wrote:

    >hiya
    >
    >Just got a new Laptop. I've turned off my Norton Firewall as it was causing
    >networking problems i.e couldn't connect from laptop to desktop. I turned
    >on the windows firewall with exceptions.

    You will want to uninstall and remove all traces of NF (usually any
    Norton product , seems to be a popular opinion), not as easy as it
    sounds. There may be some info on the Symantec Support site.

    >The problem: for some reason I keep finding on start up windows firewall
    >turned off. I checked Norton and that firewall is still permaneatly
    >disabled. Would anyone know why this is or how to fix.

    Check the WF service, (I could get to hate the non classic menus)
    Start / Control Panel / Performance and Monitoring / Administrative
    Tools / Services /

    Scroll down to Windows Firewall , select the service and right click
    (primary mouse button) , Properties , Check the startup type, set to
    Automatic.

    If it's closing down because of an error -

    Start / Control Panel / Performance and Monitoring / Administrative
    Tools / Event Viewer

    Look through Application and System logs for the date/time you last
    booted the PC and see if any of these refer to WF.

    Generally the important bits in the error message are the
    description , source and event id.

    >Happens when Laptop is off and unconnected.
    >
    >Also keep getting constant MS RPC Network DDE BO attacks blocked from the
    >Norton Itrusion security with Norton Internet Security 2005. One IP address
    >attacking being 86.131.19.219.

    More Norton....

    A BT Broadband customer, DNS tools lookup
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=86.131.19.219

    Blocking is good, you can , if it's popup notices then disable them but
    you need to check your logs just to see it's looking okay.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 9, 2005

  3. sheila

    sheila Guest

    "> Scroll down to Windows Firewall , select the service and right click
    > (primary mouse button) , Properties , Check the startup type, set to
    > Automatic."

    Done that and it is automatic.

    "> Look through Application and System logs for the date/time you last
    > booted the PC and see if any of these refer to WF."

    Don't think anything referred to WF, I have:
    The ASPI32 service failed to start due to the following error:

    AND

    The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution
    servers from the registry. The data is the error code.

    AND

    A provider, OffProv10, has been registered in the WMI namespace,
    Root\MSAPPS10, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider
    will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and
    the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly
    impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for
    security behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider
    registration to an account with the least privileges possible for the
    required functionality. winmgmt

    AND

    TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is
    32. EvntAgnt

    "> A BT Broadband customer, DNS tools lookup
    > http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=86.131.19.219"

    I'm on BTbroadband !!

    Thanks

    sheila, Nov 10, 2005
  4. sheila

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:14:32 +0000 (UTC), sheila wrote:

    How are you sharing the connection internet connection between the
    desktop / laptop? Are you using ICS (Interner Connection Sharing)?

    Never been fond of that, and only tried it as a test once. It easier to
    user a router / firewall solution.

    It may be you have a Norton / ICS conflict with the Windows Firewall.

    I would still think you should try the online Symantec support and see
    if they have any articles or fixes for ICS / Win FW issues.

    >"> Scroll down to Windows Firewall , select the service and right click
    >> (primary mouse button) , Properties , Check the startup type, set to
    >> Automatic."

    Instead of copy/pasting parts of the message back up to the top, it's a
    lot easier to reply in-line (as this bit is). The point / query has the
    reply right below it.

    >Done that and it is automatic.

    Almost thought that may be the case.

    >"> Look through Application and System logs for the date/time you last
    >> booted the PC and see if any of these refer to WF."

    >Don't think anything referred to WF, I have:
    >The ASPI32 service failed to start due to the following error:
    >The system cannot find the file specified.

    ASPI is a device driver for SCSI devices like optical drives, arrays of
    disks , tape drives.

    >AND
    >
    >The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution
    >servers from the registry. The data is the error code.

    Haven't see that before.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=The ...eid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N1576132C

    Could be the firewall blocking DNS requests on port 53. If you are
    having other problems then the firewall issues only.

    >AND
    >
    >A provider, OffProv10, has been registered in the WMI namespace,
    >Root\MSAPPS10, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider
    >will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and

    <snip rest of message>

    Seems to be a common issue
    http://www.google.com/search?q=A pr...eid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2C61232C

    Doesn't appear to be a solution but I checked only a few of the posts
    the above search found.

    >AND
    >
    >TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is
    >32. EvntAgnt

    Remember what I said about Event ID numbers?

    The above message , see this MS article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889082
    You most likely want method 1 to get rid of that logged message.

    SNMP is generally something not needed for home use.

    Some of these may also be described as Warnings, Errors or Information.
    If there aren't too many errors and it's the same 1 or 2 everytime you
    boot I usually don't bother fixing them.

    >"> A BT Broadband customer, DNS tools lookup
    >> http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=86.131.19.219"

    >I'm on BTbroadband !!

    Saw that in your post headers. Well another one has a problem with thier
    PC.

    why?, Nov 10, 2005