    dialog again and hit apply for it to work. There must be a better way.
    Any suggestions?

    TIA

    David, Dec 4, 2005

  2. David

    Enkidu Guest

    David wrote:
    > I have a folder on this machine (XP Pro with SP2), D:\shared\ which I
    > have shared on the network (using simple file sharing). The other
    > machine (laptop, also XP Pro, SP2) can see this share, and I can access
    > the files that were in the folder when i originally shared it. However,
    > new files (which are moved to D:\shared from D:\temp by eMule) cannot be
    > accessed ("Access is denied" type error). Unsharing and re-sharing the
    > folder does not make these files accessible either. Before i formatted I
    > also had this problem, I got around it by disabling simple file sharing,
    > going into preferences and granting 'Everyone' read access to this
    > folder. However I everytime i added new stuff I would have to open this
    > dialog again and hit apply for it to work. There must be a better way.
    > Any suggestions?

    Add the user that you connect with and the user that does the copy to
    the same group and give that group read access to the folder and all
    files. If necessary create a new group. I'm assuming NTFS.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 4, 2005

  3. On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:39:06 +1300, David <> wrote:

    If you have moved, (not coyied) the file it has retained its existing
    permissions,
    copy the file and it will have the same permissions as the exisitng
    folder.
    go read up on NTFS permissons
    john
    Images of home (NZ)
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    John in Surrey, Dec 4, 2005
  4. David

    David Guest

    John in Surrey wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:39:06 +1300, David <> wrote:
    >
    > If you have moved, (not coyied) the file it has retained its existing
    > permissions,
    > copy the file and it will have the same permissions as the exisitng
    > folder.
    > go read up on NTFS permissons
    > john

    Thanks for this info, I disabled simple file sharing, granted "Everyone"
    Read, Execute and List access to d:\shared, then did the same for
    D:\temp (which is not shared on the network, and is where the files are
    initially created). Hopefully this should solve the problem.

    David, Dec 4, 2005