    2XExplorer still is a problem. While Agent Ransack does do search, I can't
    select files in it and change something like files' "read only" properties.

    John Dalberg

    John Dalberg, Jan 26, 2006

  2. John Dalberg

    Deano Guest

    John Dalberg wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a *real* file explorer replacement. My file
    > explorer keeps crashing when I use search.
    >
    > I need something that's a stand alone application that *does not
    > depend* on Windows file explorer or works like a wrapper to it. So
    > something like 2XExplorer still is a problem. While Agent Ransack
    > does do search, I can't select files in it and change something like
    > files' "read only" properties.
    >

    > John Dalberg

    I found Directory Opus to be very good - I only took it off my laptop since
    other people were a bit nonplussed when they used it. Now that I have
    multiple systems to play with I might reinstall it.

    Deano, Jan 26, 2006

  3. John Dalberg

    jp10558 Guest

    On 26 Jan 2006 18:15:24 GMT, John Dalberg wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a *real* file explorer replacement. My file explorer
    > keeps crashing when I use search.
    >
    > I need something that's a stand alone application that *does not depend* on
    > Windows file explorer or works like a wrapper to it. So something like
    > 2XExplorer still is a problem. While Agent Ransack does do search, I can't
    > select files in it and change something like files' "read only" properties.
    >

    > John Dalberg

    Directory Opus is probably the best.

    jp

    jp10558, Jan 26, 2006
  4. John Dalberg

    Todd H. Guest

    (John Dalberg) writes:

    > Can anyone recommend a *real* file explorer replacement. My file explorer
    > keeps crashing when I use search.

    This request sends up a red flag to me--Like people asking for pop-up
    blockers, when what they actually need is a system free of
    spyware/adware/malware.

    In addition to searching for this bandaid, I'd also encourage you to
    chase down the root cause of the disease that's keeping search from
    working.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Jan 26, 2006
  5. John Dalberg

    Unk Guest

    On 26 Jan 2006 18:15:24 GMT, (John Dalberg) wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a *real* file explorer replacement. My file explorer
    >keeps crashing when I use search.
    >
    >I need something that's a stand alone application that *does not depend* on
    >Windows file explorer or works like a wrapper to it. So something like
    >2XExplorer still is a problem. While Agent Ransack does do search, I can't
    >select files in it and change something like files' "read only" properties.
    >

    >John Dalberg

    See 'Why doesn't Search work?'

    Unk, Jan 27, 2006
  6. John Dalberg

    birdy Guest

    Try XYplorer. I've never seen a better search engine.

    birdy, Jan 30, 2006
  7. Re: Re: Windows file explorer replacement?

    birdy wrote:

    Try XYplorer. I've never seen a better search engine.

    Do you say you've never seen a better search engine for some special reason?

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  8. John Dalberg

    birdy Guest

    Liza Smorgaborgsson wrote:
    > Do you say you've never seen a better search engine for some special reason?

    Because XYplorer's search is very fast and powerful (see
    http://www.xyplorer.com/xed/findfiles.htm), supports templates, and is
    integrated into a solid tabbed file manager. Particular searches can be
    mapped onto "finding tabs" and triggered at a single click. I have not
    seen this anywhere else.

    birdy, Jan 31, 2006