    any thoughts???

    thanks
    , Mar 16, 2006

  2. Merv Guest

    > Why when a windows file copy is going on, this is on a Catalyst 6509 and 4506
    > traversing 1G fiber, I only see about 1% utilization on my NIC, for
    > say.... a 200MB file copy?

    > When I look on the interface of the switch I only show about 2%
    > utilization. It takes about 30 to 40 minutes to copy that file.

    Can you provide a ascii diagram of the end-to-end path including port
    numbers ?

    Since Windows file copy uses SMB over NETBT or SMB direct over TCP/IP,
    you can check the statistics from netstat -e and netstat -s - p TCP
    (check for retransmits) on your PC.

    Is the file copy always between the same two endpoints?

    Do you get better throughbput if one endpoint is varied?

    Have you check each port along the path for interface errors ?
    Merv, Mar 16, 2006

  3. thrill5 Guest

    Probably a duplex issue. Either hardcode the speed/duplex on the switch and
    computer port to 100/full, or they both must be set to auto to get full
    duplex. If you half on one side and full on the other, you will have very
    slow transfer rate.

    Scott

    thrill5, Mar 19, 2006
  4. sirjaymz

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Also try the following

    Sorry for a long break post..

    Also, make sure that the drivers for each of the network cards in the machines are running the latest versions.
    I have noticed that Intel and Broadcom both make many modifications to there drivers that the OEM manufactures don't necessarily include in their driver updates.

    Double check that you do NOT have and QOS on the interfaces of the switches. If there is, say for IP Telephony, then you need make sure that the traffic you are trying to send is not getting packet shaped by that QOS.

    one last thing. I have the same problem as we speak , and have changed drivers, hard coded speed and duplex on the switch and NIC's and still it has the same issue. I am using robocopy XP010, XP026 and version 1.95, thinking that it might be a app issue, and they all exhibit the same issue.
    sirjaymz, Jan 5, 2010