Windows explorer won't open folders using the same window

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rick Arding, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Rick Arding

    Rick Arding Guest

    I'm using windows 98se and at one point I changed my file association
    for "Folder" and "File Folder" to a file/directory viewer that I've
    used for years and wanted to try out as an explorer replacement. It
    didn't do all I hoped so I set the association "default" back to
    "Open" on "Folders" and to Windows Explorer on "File Folders".

    Now when I open Windows Explorer and double click another file folder
    it always opens in a new window unless I use double pane with the
    explorer bar set to file folders.

    Things I have tried to fix this:

    VIEW/FOLDER OPTIONS Hit the settings button and select "Open each
    folder in the same window"

    reset all folders to active desktop, web page,custom,classic and every
    folder option I could find and set them each back again after checking
    the results.

    My system is clean of adware, spyware, virii and trojans and I have no
    other problems other than this one.

    changing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/directory/shell default text to "none"

    reinstalled c:\windows\inf\shell.inf

    used the repair option (in add/remove programs) on Internet Explorer

    used tweakui and selected "rebuild file associations"

    searched and read about others who had the same problem on google
    groups (dejanews) and google web search. There were no useful answers
    other than the ones i've tried

    removed all associations from "folder directory" associations (all are
    editable) then replaced, removed associations from "folders" (only the
    editable ones) and replaced.

    I'm at a loss for anything else to try.
    --
    Black holes are where God divided by zero

    Rick Arding, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Rick Arding

    °Mike° Guest

    Download, unzip and double click the following .reg
    file, then reboot. This will reset your folder/directory
    registry settings to the way they should be.
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/temp/folders.zip

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 19:40:39 -0700, in
    <>
    Rick Arding scrawled:

    >I'm using windows 98se and at one point I changed my file association
    >for "Folder" and "File Folder" to a file/directory viewer that I've
    >used for years and wanted to try out as an explorer replacement. It
    >didn't do all I hoped so I set the association "default" back to
    >"Open" on "Folders" and to Windows Explorer on "File Folders".
    >
    >Now when I open Windows Explorer and double click another file folder
    >it always opens in a new window unless I use double pane with the
    >explorer bar set to file folders.
    >
    > Things I have tried to fix this:
    >
    >VIEW/FOLDER OPTIONS Hit the settings button and select "Open each
    >folder in the same window"
    >
    >reset all folders to active desktop, web page,custom,classic and every
    >folder option I could find and set them each back again after checking
    >the results.
    >
    >My system is clean of adware, spyware, virii and trojans and I have no
    >other problems other than this one.
    >
    >changing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/directory/shell default text to "none"
    >
    >reinstalled c:\windows\inf\shell.inf
    >
    >used the repair option (in add/remove programs) on Internet Explorer
    >
    >used tweakui and selected "rebuild file associations"
    >
    >searched and read about others who had the same problem on google
    >groups (dejanews) and google web search. There were no useful answers
    >other than the ones i've tried
    >
    >removed all associations from "folder directory" associations (all are
    >editable) then replaced, removed associations from "folders" (only the
    >editable ones) and replaced.
    >
    >I'm at a loss for anything else to try.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Rick Arding

    Rick Arding Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 04:34:37 +0100, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >Download, unzip and double click the following .reg
    >file, then reboot. This will reset your folder/directory
    >registry settings to the way they should be.
    >http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/temp/folders.zip
    >

    >On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 19:40:39 -0700, in
    > <>
    > Rick Arding scrawled:
    >
    >>I'm using windows 98se and at one point I changed my file association
    >>for "Folder" and "File Folder" to a file/directory viewer that I've
    >>used for years and wanted to try out as an explorer replacement. It
    >>didn't do all I hoped so I set the association "default" back to
    >>"Open" on "Folders" and to Windows Explorer on "File Folders".
    >>
    >>Now when I open Windows Explorer and double click another file folder
    >>it always opens in a new window unless I use double pane with the
    >>explorer bar set to file folders.
    >>
    >> Things I have tried to fix this:
    >>
    >>VIEW/FOLDER OPTIONS Hit the settings button and select "Open each
    >>folder in the same window"
    >>
    >>reset all folders to active desktop, web page,custom,classic and every
    >>folder option I could find and set them each back again after checking
    >>the results.
    >>
    >>My system is clean of adware, spyware, virii and trojans and I have no
    >>other problems other than this one.
    >>
    >>changing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/directory/shell default text to "none"
    >>
    >>reinstalled c:\windows\inf\shell.inf
    >>
    >>used the repair option (in add/remove programs) on Internet Explorer
    >>
    >>used tweakui and selected "rebuild file associations"
    >>
    >>searched and read about others who had the same problem on google
    >>groups (dejanews) and google web search. There were no useful answers
    >>other than the ones i've tried
    >>
    >>removed all associations from "folder directory" associations (all are
    >>editable) then replaced, removed associations from "folders" (only the
    >>editable ones) and replaced.
    >>
    >>I'm at a loss for anything else to try.

    It didn't seem to change any associations and when I double click it
    still creates a new window. I checked the settings and it's still set
    to open in the same window.

    When I Right-click on a folder from the Windows Explorer menu, I get
    two "Open" choices on the menu, one is bold, which I suppose means its
    the default one that's not working correctly, and one is not bold
    which, if selected, opens in the same window.

    I have an "Open" in "File Folders" association which is editable and I
    have it pointing to c:\windows\explorer.exe. I have an "OPEN" in
    "Folders" association which is un editable both selected as the
    default.

    --
    Black holes are where God divided by zero

    Rick Arding, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Rick Arding

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:40:15 -0700, in
    <>
    Rick Arding scrawled:

    <snip>

    >It didn't seem to change any associations and when I double click it
    >still creates a new window. I checked the settings and it's still set
    >to open in the same window.
    >
    >When I Right-click on a folder from the Windows Explorer menu, I get
    >two "Open" choices on the menu, one is bold, which I suppose means its
    >the default one that's not working correctly, and one is not bold
    >which, if selected, opens in the same window.
    >
    >I have an "Open" in "File Folders" association which is editable and I
    >have it pointing to c:\windows\explorer.exe. I have an "OPEN" in
    >"Folders" association which is un editable both selected as the
    >default.

    Copy/paste the following into Notepad and save as a .reg
    file. Double click to merge. Once you have done that,
    re-merge the first .reg file that you downloaded. Make
    sure there is a blank line at the end of this .reg file.

    ***** <--- Omit this line
    REGEDIT4

    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory]

    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder]

    ***** <-- Omit this line

    Make sure you back up your registry first, too.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 4, 2004
  5. Rick Arding

    Rick Arding Guest

    >On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:40:15 -0700, in
    > <>
    > Rick Arding scrawled:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >>It didn't seem to change any associations and when I double click it
    >>still creates a new window. I checked the settings and it's still set
    >>to open in the same window.

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 07:56:12 +0100, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    >Copy/paste the following into Notepad and save as a .reg
    >file. Double click to merge. Once you have done that,
    >re-merge the first .reg file that you downloaded. Make
    >sure there is a blank line at the end of this .reg file.

    IT WORKED! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Worked
    perfectly. I saw a few references to this in my reading, usually from
    people changing the folder icon, but no solutions.
    --
    Black holes are where God divided by zero

    Rick Arding, Jun 4, 2004
  6. Rick Arding

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 00:28:18 -0700, in
    <>
    Rick Arding scrawled:

    >>On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:40:15 -0700, in
    >> <>
    >> Rick Arding scrawled:
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>>It didn't seem to change any associations and when I double click it
    >>>still creates a new window. I checked the settings and it's still set
    >>>to open in the same window.

    >On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 07:56:12 +0100, °Mike° <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Copy/paste the following into Notepad and save as a .reg
    >>file. Double click to merge. Once you have done that,
    >>re-merge the first .reg file that you downloaded. Make
    >>sure there is a blank line at the end of this .reg file.

    >IT WORKED! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Worked
    >perfectly. I saw a few references to this in my reading, usually from
    >people changing the folder icon, but no solutions.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Rick Arding

    Jin{

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Hey,

    I'm dealing with the same problem and I would like to test the solution posted here. Sadly enough the downloadlink for that reg-file isn't working anymore. Could someone point me in the right direction? Been dealing with this problem for weeks. It appeared after I changed my folder icon.

    thx in advance,

    Jin{, Jun 26, 2006
  8. Rick Arding

    Jin{

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    I must say this board is amazingly helpful. Thanks alot cough

    Jin{, Jul 8, 2006
  9. Rick Arding

    Glenn

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Ditto.

    The /temp page here tells me to go away.

    If the site is still maintained, please could you simply post the necessary reg changes as text, ideally with all of the parts (see secondary post by Mike) in the correct place.

    But anyway, giving the info, since it is currently very tantalising to know that someone has the solution, but no longer gives it.

    Many thanks,
    Glenn

    Glenn, Jun 6, 2007
  10. Rick Arding

    Glenn

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    The answer

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1101855772

    "None of these solutions worked, but i solved the problem myself. the problem is that under "Options > File Types" i had two behaviors, "Explore" and "Open." "Open" is what makes the folders open in a new window, no matter what you set in the "Options" menu, you have to set "Explore" as the DEFAULT option, instead of "Open." then everything will work as planned."

    Note: He is talking about File Types -

    Folder

    - rather than -

    File Folder

    Was that so hard to say ?

    Glenn, Jun 6, 2007
  11. Rick Arding

    Tatsujinken

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Will someone help me please? I kinda screwed myself over on this one. I did the

    ***** <--- Omit this line
    REGEDIT4

    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory]

    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder]

    ***** <-- Omit this line

    thing that Mike said to do, but since Rick Arding's download link is now expired or something, a lot of my things are not working correctly. My right click, for example, has no option to create a new folder. I can just refresh, paste, or select properties, but there is no option to create a new folder.

    If someone can help in anyway or reupload that lost download link, that'd be great. Thanks in advance.

    Tatsujinken, Jun 24, 2007
  12. Rick Arding

    gingerbbm

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Yeah, annoying that the ZIP has gone, but I found this:

    "Locate the Default value under the following key in the registry: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell Type NONE in the File data box, click OK, and exit the registry editor."

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1026509759?s

    Worked for me!

    gingerbbm, Sep 26, 2007
  13. Rick Arding

    TimSpeedle

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Registry fix available on annoyances.org

    I just found this article on annoyances.org:

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1086238395

    I used that text, put it in a file called "Fix.reg" and saved it. Then I put the one from earlier in this thread in "Clean.reg" and saved it. I then imported Clean.reg, and then Fix.reg, and this fixed my problem.

    Good luck!

    TimSpeedle, Jan 16, 2008
  14. Rick Arding

    Conlin

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Help!

    THANK YOU SO MUCH. I thought that I was going to die. I was really hoping I could find an answer!

    Conlin, Mar 14, 2009