Windows Explorer, WinXP view?, other stuff, please be patient

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Rich, Apr 23, 2010.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I'm new to Win 7 Pro, making the move from WinXP Pro.

    I want Windows Explorer to open default to the computer tree with computer
    expanded showing the available installed drives as I had it in WinXP.

    I also want the computer tree to be above the other options in the left pane
    such as the Libraries, etc.

    Right now the cascading order is Desktop, Libraries, Homegroup, User,
    Computer, etc.

    I'd like it to default with the Computer group listed right under Desktop
    and expanded, and the Libraries group below that and not expanded.

    Is that even possible?

    On another note, I was able to use ShellNewHandler to get rid of the
    templates in the 'New' context menu but I'm not able to get rid of the
    'Briefcase' option in that list. Any suggestions on how to do that?
    Previously I've used TweakUi to do that kind of stuff but the Ultimate
    Windows Tweaker does not offer that option.

    And finally, Sticky Notes is a very useful option. Does anyone know the
    extension for those notes? I'd like to add one of those as a template option
    in the 'New' context menu. Anyone have any success with that yet?

    Thanks,
    Rich

    Rich, Apr 23, 2010

  2. Rich

    David Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > I'm new to Win 7 Pro, making the move from WinXP Pro.
    >
    > I want Windows Explorer to open default to the computer
    > tree with computer expanded showing the available
    > installed drives as I had it in WinXP.
    >
    > I also want the computer tree to be above the other
    > options in the left pane such as the Libraries, etc.
    >
    > Right now the cascading order is Desktop, Libraries,
    > Homegroup, User, Computer, etc.
    >
    > I'd like it to default with the Computer group listed
    > right under Desktop and expanded, and the Libraries group
    > below that and not expanded.
    >
    > Is that even possible?

    (snip)
    > Thanks,
    > Rich

    Try this:
    %windir%\explorer.exe /e,C:

    David

    David, Apr 23, 2010

  3. Not exactly what the OP wants, but probably the closest you can get. Another
    thing you probably want to do is to enable the menus always being available,
    and a couple of other settings that might be useful and give a more "XP
    feel" to Explorer.

    Press Alt, select Tools, Folder Options. Check the Show All Folders and
    Automatically Expand To Current Folder options. Click on the View tab and
    check the Always Show Menus option. Make any other adjustments in here that
    you want, and then click Apply to Folders and then OK.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 23, 2010
  4. Rich

    Carlos Guest

    Rich,
    You might also want to consider some freeware file managers instead of
    windows explorer.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-manager.htm
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 23, 2010