Windows Explorer shuts down on browsing, without error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by heruti, May 10, 2005.

  1. heruti

    heruti Guest

    Hi there gals and boys,

    I was abroad, when I came back, the office workes told me one Win2k
    (sp4) PC stopped working. So I used the Win2k setup CD to revive it
    (with its OS repair option) and everything seemed to be back to normal,
    except when I try to use windows explorer- whenever I click on any
    folder, it terminates with no error message.I have tried:

    1. MS article 883791, "Explorer.exe repeatedly quits unexpectedly in

    "My computer" browsing however, works, that is what's strange about it.

    Windows XP" but the 'explorer' folder in 'policies' branch doesn't
    exist. I created it anyway and set the UseDesktopIniCache to 0 as
    suggested. Anyway I have windows 2000.

    2. re-Installed Win2k SP4

    3. Looked in the system/app/security events- nothing relevant.

    4. uninstalled internet explorer and reinstalled + winupdate

    5. scanned with Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D and Windows malicious software
    tool.

    6. tried to disable all explorer shell extensions using shellexview
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html

    7. killed all possible processes with

    8. plucked hair out!

    None of the above semeed to impress the problem...

    Thanks for suggestions.
    heruti, May 10, 2005

  2. heruti

    Billybender

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    i was having the same problem with Vista. I used the "shelexview" program and determined that a program called "Pixview" was the problem. I disabled all the ext in it and now Vista works perfectly. I went on and deleted "Pixview" just to make sure and have had no problems since.
    Billybender, Mar 6, 2008