    The file was in the Mozilla plugins folder.

    Shouldn't it have found it both ways? If C is selected, isn't it
    supposed to search all subfolders?
    Richard Fangnail, Apr 20, 2010

  2. Richard Fangnail

    chuckcar Guest

    Richard Fangnail <> wrote in
    news::

    > What is the rule about searching for a file on the entire C drive?
    >
    > I have Vista - I selected C: and tried searching for files starting
    > with np. It said it found nothing.
    > Then I clicked on the Program Files folder and the searched worked.
    > The file was in the Mozilla plugins folder.
    >
    > Shouldn't it have found it both ways? If C is selected, isn't it
    > supposed to search all subfolders?

    Filenames have a name and an extension. The extension *can* be nothing
    in which case "np" all by itself will find a file called *exactly* that,
    but not npfred.fred or np.gif. To find any file like those, you need to
    type np*.*. You can't put the * at the beginning signifying the np is at
    the end of the name. It must be last or just before the period.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 20, 2010

  3. Richard Fangnail

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Richard

    What is the extension of that file(s) That is the criteria that you need to do the
    search with unless you have the name and the extension of said file(s)

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Apr 20, 2010
  4. "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    > What is the rule about searching for a file on the entire C drive?
    >
    > I have Vista - I selected C: and tried searching for files starting
    > with np. It said it found nothing.
    > Then I clicked on the Program Files folder and the searched worked.
    > The file was in the Mozilla plugins folder.
    >
    > Shouldn't it have found it both ways? If C is selected, isn't it
    > supposed to search all subfolders?

    try agent ransack or similiar.

    I gave up on windows vista search ages ago.
    results were always temperamental, to say the least.
    you realised already that it ought to have found something you knew to be
    there but wasnt found anyway? ..
    even trying to understand this indexing with/on/off, look with 'natural
    language' funtion, just what the hell is that about? ..
    someone said its not like the other windows versions searches, thats true!
    what about/where is the search within files also, like there used to be?
    whats 'tags' got to do with anything useful ? ..
    why doesnt it update the results if you copy/move anything?
    and so on and so forth. index,. my foot ..
    its not a change for the better.
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Apr 20, 2010
  5. "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > Zu Arsschlaark! wrote:
    >>
    >> "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    >>> What is the rule about searching for a file on the entire C drive?
    >>>
    >>> I have Vista - I selected C: and tried searching for files starting
    >>> with np. It said it found nothing.
    >>> Then I clicked on the Program Files folder and the searched worked.
    >>> The file was in the Mozilla plugins folder.
    >>>
    >>> Shouldn't it have found it both ways? If C is selected, isn't it
    >>> supposed to search all subfolders?

    >> try agent ransack or similiar.
    >>
    >> I gave up on windows vista search ages ago.
    >> results were always temperamental, to say the least.
    >> you realised already that it ought to have found something you knew to be
    >> there but wasnt found anyway? ..
    >> even trying to understand this indexing with/on/off, look with 'natural
    >> language' funtion, just what the hell is that about? ..
    >> someone said its not like the other windows versions searches, thats
    >> true!
    >> what about/where is the search within files also, like there used to be?
    >> whats 'tags' got to do with anything useful ? ..
    >> why doesnt it update the results if you copy/move anything?
    >> and so on and so forth. index,. my foot ..
    >> its not a change for the better.
    >>

    > I never had a problem with Vista search once I read a couple articles and
    > took the time test it. It did everything I asked it to do and found
    > everything.

    Good for you.

    > My only regret is that Windows Update updated it, and it no longer works.
    > So, I use a free 3rd party tool.

    windows update broke a window program? ..
    well i can bear it in mind to not revisit it to see if its improved!

    which 3rd party app, out of interest?
    Zu Arsschlaark!, Apr 23, 2010