    Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    managing files etc??

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jul 18, 2004

  2. In article <>, "frederick" <> was seen to type:

    >"PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    >> managing files etc??
    >>
    >> PseUDO

    >From the POV of the user interfacing with the OS through a GUI, windows
    >explorer *is Windows*. If you don't have explorer, then you don't have
    >a taskbar, start menu, or desktop. You have a screen with wallpaper,
    >and no practical means with which to access the OS or run programs.
    >If you want to see what I mean - bring up task manager and kill
    >explorer.exe. To restore it, in task manager use file | new task (run)
    >and enter explorer, then when you have your desktop back, run explorer
    >again - and see what you get.
    >
    >Why would there need to be an alternative to Windows Explorer?
    >Explorer is quite configurable and the interface is more or less
    >standard - to the extent that user-friendly Linux alternatives such as
    >KFM and Xandros File Manager have implemented a similar look and feel,
    >arguably with some impovements If imitation is the sincerest form of
    >flattery then...

    Was "explorer" or the KDE version first ? Reason I ask is that the
    explorer interface annoyed the hell out of me from day one, but the
    KDE one seemed logical and "right". To be more precise, the KDE
    version is what 'explorer' ought to have been (to me anyway) - which
    might make sense if it came after it in time :)

    Thanks

    Bruce

    ========================
    In short, what people think they want is news, but what they really crave
    is olds.
    Lord Vetinari, ¨The Truth¨ Terry Pratchet
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 19, 2004

  3. PseUDO

    frederick Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    > managing files etc??
    >
    > PseUDO

    From the POV of the user interfacing with the OS through a GUI, windows

    frederick, Jul 19, 2004
  4. PseUDO

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:34:09 +1200, PseUDO wrote:

    > Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    > managing files etc??

    Does it have to be open source?

    Do you need to have the code, or has open source become a synonym for no
    cost? :)

    Sorry, I don't have any recommendations. Were you just after a File
    Manager or a complete Windows Shell Replacement?

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jul 19, 2004
  5. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:34:09 +1200, PseUDO wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    >>managing files etc??

    > Does it have to be open source?
    >
    > Do you need to have the code, or has open source become a synonym for no
    > cost? :)
    >
    > Sorry, I don't have any recommendations. Were you just after a File
    > Manager or a complete Windows Shell Replacement?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    After something with more features than what comes with XP, like some of
    these:

    http://www.handyarchive.com/free/explorer-replacement/
    http://www.spadixbd.com/universal/
    http://www.piquest.com/easyexplorer.htm
    http://www.gpsoft.com.au/Intro.html

    etc, but open source would be good.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jul 19, 2004
  6. PseUDO

    frederick Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    message news:1%FKc.9097$...
    > In article <>, "frederick"

    <> was seen to type:

    > >"PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > >> Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    > >> managing files etc??
    > >>
    > >> PseUDO

    > >From the POV of the user interfacing with the OS through a GUI,

    windows
    > >explorer *is Windows*. If you don't have explorer, then you don't

    have
    > >a taskbar, start menu, or desktop. You have a screen with

    wallpaper,
    > >and no practical means with which to access the OS or run programs.
    > >If you want to see what I mean - bring up task manager and kill
    > >explorer.exe. To restore it, in task manager use file | new task

    (run)
    > >and enter explorer, then when you have your desktop back, run

    explorer
    > >again - and see what you get.
    > >
    > >Why would there need to be an alternative to Windows Explorer?
    > >Explorer is quite configurable and the interface is more or less
    > >standard - to the extent that user-friendly Linux alternatives such

    as
    > >KFM and Xandros File Manager have implemented a similar look and

    feel,
    > >arguably with some impovements If imitation is the sincerest form of
    > >flattery then...

    > Was "explorer" or the KDE version first ? Reason I ask is that the
    > explorer interface annoyed the hell out of me from day one, but the
    > KDE one seemed logical and "right". To be more precise, the KDE
    > version is what 'explorer' ought to have been (to me anyway) - which
    > might make sense if it came after it in time :)
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Bruce

    It appears that the KDE project began in 1996, and I expect that the
    "project" predated KFM by years. So, Windows explorer came first by a
    long shot.
    What annoys you about the explorer interface?
    frederick, Jul 19, 2004
  7. In article <>, "frederick" <> was seen to type:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    >message news:1%FKc.9097$...
    >> In article <>, "frederick"

    ><> was seen to type:
    >> >
    >> >"PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> >From the POV of the user interfacing with the OS through a GUI,

    >windows
    >> >explorer *is Windows*. If you don't have explorer, then you don't

    >have
    >> >a taskbar, start menu, or desktop. You have a screen with

    >wallpaper,
    >> >and no practical means with which to access the OS or run programs.
    >> >If you want to see what I mean - bring up task manager and kill
    >> >explorer.exe. To restore it, in task manager use file | new task

    >(run)
    >> >and enter explorer, then when you have your desktop back, run

    >explorer
    >> >again - and see what you get.
    >> >
    >> >Why would there need to be an alternative to Windows Explorer?
    >> >Explorer is quite configurable and the interface is more or less
    >> >standard - to the extent that user-friendly Linux alternatives such

    >as
    >> >KFM and Xandros File Manager have implemented a similar look and

    >feel,
    >> >arguably with some impovements If imitation is the sincerest form of
    >> >flattery then...

    >> Was "explorer" or the KDE version first ? Reason I ask is that the
    >> explorer interface annoyed the hell out of me from day one, but the
    >> KDE one seemed logical and "right". To be more precise, the KDE
    >> version is what 'explorer' ought to have been (to me anyway) - which
    >> might make sense if it came after it in time :)
    >>

    >It appears that the KDE project began in 1996, and I expect that the
    >"project" predated KFM by years. So, Windows explorer came first by a
    >long shot.
    >What annoys you about the explorer interface?

    hmmm ... IIRC (I'm sadly accustomed to it now :) ) ... I couldn't get
    a "simple" look out of it. I couldn't get it to remember how I wanted
    it to look when I got close to how I wanted it to look. Basically the
    microsoft problem of it trying to be to helpful and doing stuff in
    ways I didn't want it to. Making things that were easy in previous
    versions hard. As I say, I coped ... but the bugger index was high
    IIRC :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 19, 2004
  8. PseUDO

    Patrick Bold Guest

    Patrick Bold, Jul 19, 2004
  9. PseUDO

    TomV Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:04:32 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    >In article <>, "frederick" <> was seen to type:
    >>
    >>"PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    >>> managing files etc??
    >>>
    >>> PseUDO

    >>From the POV of the user interfacing with the OS through a GUI, windows
    >>explorer *is Windows*. If you don't have explorer, then you don't have
    >>a taskbar, start menu, or desktop. You have a screen with wallpaper,
    >>and no practical means with which to access the OS or run programs.
    >>If you want to see what I mean - bring up task manager and kill
    >>explorer.exe. To restore it, in task manager use file | new task (run)
    >>and enter explorer, then when you have your desktop back, run explorer
    >>again - and see what you get.
    >>
    >>Why would there need to be an alternative to Windows Explorer?
    >>Explorer is quite configurable and the interface is more or less
    >>standard - to the extent that user-friendly Linux alternatives such as
    >>KFM and Xandros File Manager have implemented a similar look and feel,
    >>arguably with some impovements If imitation is the sincerest form of
    >>flattery then...

    >Was "explorer" or the KDE version first ? Reason I ask is that the
    >explorer interface annoyed the hell out of me from day one, but the
    >KDE one seemed logical and "right". To be more precise, the KDE
    >version is what 'explorer' ought to have been (to me anyway) - which
    >might make sense if it came after it in time :)

    I can't stand Windows explorer. Been using Power Desk for years now.
    Every time I get stuck on a computer with only windows explorer it
    drives me nuts

    ....tom
    TomV, Jul 19, 2004
  10. PseUDO

    GraB Guest

    >I can't stand Windows explorer. Been using Power Desk for years now.
    >Every time I get stuck on a computer with only windows explorer it
    >drives me nuts

    I think PowerDesk is superior too. There is a free Express version
    time unlimited, at
    http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html through the
    download page.
    GraB, Jul 19, 2004
  11. PseUDO

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:44:26 +1200, frederick wrote:

    > What annoys you about the explorer interface?

    Just about everything. Sorry but I am a twin pane chap.
    Gordon, Jul 19, 2004
  12. PseUDO

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:34:09 +1200, PseUDO wrote:

    > Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    > managing files etc??

    For a list of freeware versions

    http://www.lisp.com.au/nonags/fileman.html
    Gordon, Jul 19, 2004
  13. PseUDO

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:34:09 +1200, PseUDO wrote:

    > Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    > managing files etc??
    >
    > PseUDO

    2xExplorer seems pretty good if all you are after is a file manager.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it." -- Seymour Cray (on virtual memory)

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/07/2004 8:12:12 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jul 19, 2004
  14. PseUDO

    Graham Guest

    frederick wrote:

    > "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    > > managing files etc??
    > >
    > > PseUDO

    > From the POV of the user interfacing with the OS through a GUI, windows
    > explorer *is Windows*. If you don't have explorer, then you don't have
    > a taskbar, start menu, or desktop. You have a screen with wallpaper,
    > and no practical means with which to access the OS or run programs.
    > If you want to see what I mean - bring up task manager and kill
    > explorer.exe. To restore it, in task manager use file | new task (run)
    > and enter explorer, then when you have your desktop back, run explorer
    > again - and see what you get.

    Very good...

    But I suspect what he wants is an application alternative to Windows
    Explorer functionality.

    Graham, Jul 19, 2004
  15. PseUDO

    Nikki Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    > Anyone know of an open source alternative to windows explorer, for
    > managing files etc??
    >
    > PseUDO

    I used Powerdesk from Ontrack but they have been purchased now. Was very
    good. Great on W98 as it had Zip capabilities built in. If I bought the
    full version it had a very good file viewer built in.
    Nikki, Jul 21, 2004
  16. PseUDO

    Guest

    Try Xplorer2

    It can be run as a single or double pane file manager using a
    hotkey combination, and with or without a tree, again by hot key.

    It provides folder and file sizes, and a lot of other features.

    The help file is a pdf which is downloaded separately.

    The main program is 358 kB to d/l and installed it occupies 765
    kB footprint, without help file (which is hardly necessary).

    Found at http://www.netez.com/xplorer2/
    , Jul 22, 2004