    Rebooting the PC has not helped.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Brian Tozer
    KiwiBrian, Nov 25, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Impossible Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    news:dm6gjp$8hs$...
    >I am running XP Pro with SP2 and all Critical Updates.
    > Up until an hour ago whenever I opened/launched Windows Explorer
    > from the
    > shortcut in the Quick Launch area, D would have the focus and be
    > expanded.
    > This was achieved by using the Shortcut :-
    > %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,D:
    > I have a second identical PC and they are both set up identically
    > and have
    > until now behaved identically in this respect.
    > But now one of them does not expand D when WE is launched from the
    > QL area,
    > and in fact D does not show the normal + or - to it's left.
    > Only by double clicking on one of its subfolders can I force it into
    > displaying/behaving normally.
    > Rebooting the PC has not helped.
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    What happens when you launch Explorer from WindowKey+E? It should
    default to "My Computer", but with all your drives displayed normally
    with a "+" symbol". If this is what you see, then good -- Explorer is
    working as it should -- I'd try creating a completely new Explorer
    short-cut for use in Quick launch, because the one you have now is
    corrupted. If, on the other hand, you can't get Explorer to display
    correctly no matter how you launch it, then the settings for Explorer
    itself are probably corrupted. Easiest fix for that is to do a System
    Restore to the most recent configuration before "now", when the
    problem first showed up.
    Impossible, Nov 25, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    Rob J Guest

    In article <dm6gjp$8hs$>, says...
    > I am running XP Pro with SP2 and all Critical Updates.
    > Up until an hour ago whenever I opened/launched Windows Explorer from the
    > shortcut in the Quick Launch area, D would have the focus and be expanded.
    > This was achieved by using the Shortcut :-
    > %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,D:
    > I have a second identical PC and they are both set up identically and have
    > until now behaved identically in this respect.
    > But now one of them does not expand D when WE is launched from the QL area,
    > and in fact D does not show the normal + or - to it's left.
    > Only by double clicking on one of its subfolders can I force it into
    > displaying/behaving normally.
    > Rebooting the PC has not helped.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Brian Tozer

    Don't you love XP's habit of making shortcuts that work on one machine
    and not on another.

    On my PC at home I made an Explorer shortcut on the Start menu that
    simply launches %windir%\explorer.exe /e.

    Then I put it on the start menu of my PC at work. Simple - yet when I
    log on at another PC, Windows says the shortcut is not valid and refuses
    to launch it.
    Rob J, Nov 26, 2005