    JamesBenson Guest

    Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share security
    settings with IE6
    JamesBenson, Jul 29, 2004

  2. JamesBenson

    Sunny Guest

    No and No

    Sunny, Jul 29, 2004

  3. JamesBenson

    trout Guest

    JamesBenson wrote:

    > Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share
    > security settings with IE6

    I would *not* allow W Explorer access online. Period. In theory; any
    program opened with Explorer could have free Internet access regardless
    of security settings, and possibly, any firewall settings you are using.
    There would be no reason to not have any on-line activity default to
    IE.
    --
    "It's a demanding enough job to keep the *one* program *relatively*
    secure."
    trout, Jul 29, 2004
  4. JamesBenson

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:27:36 GMT, "JamesBenson"
    <> wrote:

    >Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share security
    >settings with IE6

    Try this to prove that they're pretty much one and the same program:

    Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and right-click "Windows Explorer" icon.
    Select "Copy". Now, right-click a blank spot on the desktop and select
    "Paste". Now right-click the copy on the desktop, and select "Properties"
    After "explorer.exe", add the following command (Include the leading space):

    /n /e /select,http://www.google.com

    Now it should look something like:
    %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
    Clicl "Apply", "OK"

    Notice that the icon on the desktop is still the Windows Explorer icon.
    Now double-click it.......

    Hmmmmmm, looks like Internet Explorer, acts like Internet Explorer, click
    Help, About, and it SAYS Internet Explorer.......
    Windows Explorer must be Internet Explorer too. Now you know why MS lost
    the anti-trust suit.
    Unk, Jul 29, 2004
  5. JamesBenson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    >| On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:27:36 GMT, "JamesBenson"
    >| <> wrote:
    >|
    >| >Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share
    >| >security settings with IE6
    >| >

    >| Try this to prove that they're pretty much one and the same program:
    >|
    >| Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and right-click "Windows
    >| Explorer" icon. Select "Copy". Now, right-click a blank spot on the
    >| desktop and select "Paste". Now right-click the copy on the
    >| desktop, and select "Properties" After "explorer.exe", add the
    >| following command (Include the leading space):
    >|
    >| /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
    >|
    >| Now it should look something like:
    >| %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
    >| Clicl "Apply", "OK"
    >|
    >| Notice that the icon on the desktop is still the Windows Explorer
    >| icon.
    >| Now double-click it.......
    >|
    >| Hmmmmmm, looks like Internet Explorer, acts like Internet Explorer,
    >| click Help, About, and it SAYS Internet Explorer.......
    >| Windows Explorer must be Internet Explorer too. Now you know why
    >| MS lost the anti-trust suit.

    <VBG>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jul 29, 2004
  6. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
    28 Jul 2004 21:10:39 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> screamed from behind the
    mulberry bush:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message

    >>| Try this to prove that they're pretty much one and the same program:
    >>|
    >>| Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and right-click "Windows
    >>| Explorer" icon. Select "Copy". Now, right-click a blank spot on the
    >>| desktop and select "Paste". Now right-click the copy on the
    >>| desktop, and select "Properties" After "explorer.exe", add the
    >>| following command (Include the leading space):
    >>|
    >>| /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
    >>|
    >>| Now it should look something like:
    >>| %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
    >>| Clicl "Apply", "OK"
    >>|
    >>| Notice that the icon on the desktop is still the Windows Explorer
    >>| icon.
    >>| Now double-click it.......
    >>|
    >>| Hmmmmmm, looks like Internet Explorer, acts like Internet Explorer,
    >>| click Help, About, and it SAYS Internet Explorer.......
    >>| Windows Explorer must be Internet Explorer too. Now you know why
    >>| MS lost the anti-trust suit.

    ><VBG>

    Did they or didn't they really "lose" anything? Most certainly they
    didn't. In the end, they paid what amounts to chump change for MS and
    were required to install in their update an app to remove components
    of Windows if someone wants to. How many people have done so, or are
    even aware of it? Nope, MS is going along, business as usual and I
    don't see that they'll change anytime soon. Times *do* change,
    however, and who knows where they'll be like in 10 years. I recall 10
    years ago a company called CompuServe was a major player and a start
    up called AOL was on the horizon. Now AOL is in major decline, so much
    so that Time-Warner removed them from their name and AOL has basically
    abandoned the broadband market. In 10 years, MS could be the
    Studebaker of the computer world and become extinct like the Commodore
    and the Amiga OSs.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jul 29, 2004
  7. JamesBenson

    trout Guest

    Unk wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:27:36 GMT, "JamesBenson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share
    >> security settings with IE6
    >>

    > Try this to prove that they're pretty much one and the same program:
    >
    > Click Start, Programs, Accessories, and right-click "Windows
    > Explorer" icon. Select "Copy". Now, right-click a blank spot on the
    > desktop and select "Paste". Now right-click the copy on the desktop,
    > and select "Properties" After "explorer.exe", add the following
    > command (Include the leading space):
    >
    > /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
    >
    > Now it should look something like:
    > %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n /e /select,http://www.google.com
    > Clicl "Apply", "OK"
    >
    > Notice that the icon on the desktop is still the Windows Explorer
    > icon.
    > Now double-click it.......
    >
    > Hmmmmmm, looks like Internet Explorer, acts like Internet Explorer,
    > click Help, About, and it SAYS Internet Explorer.......
    > Windows Explorer must be Internet Explorer too. Now you know why MS
    > lost the anti-trust suit.

    Well, I'm not going to argue the point too hard and long, just now,
    Unk. My beef is basically with firewall permissions and WE as opposed to
    IE.
    Maybe I've missed the boat, here, as far as WE becoming... behaving
    as....
    suddenly being IE. All I know is that I've had to clean up a lot of crap
    after another user on this computer; because of dumb wanderings in MSN
    games and chat; as well as a couple of trojans that loaded *as* WE that
    had automatic access permission, and bypassed *both* IE set security and
    firewall limitations.
    --
    "I could be wrong. But I'm well-armed. They won't take me alert."
    trout, Jul 29, 2004
  8. JamesBenson

    Tech Guest

    JamesBenson wrote:

    > Is Windows Explorer in xp pro safe to browse with and does it share
    > security settings with IE6

    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=537951

    By Charles Arthur, Technology Editor

    ... following a stark security warning from a senior panel of internet
    experts who say it opens the door to online criminals.

    They are urging all users of Internet Explorer (IE) to stop using the
    browser because they say it is vulnerable to hackers and credit card
    fraudsters.

    If you haven't done so; don't wait until you become a victim:

    http://www.mozilla.org/download.html
    http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/default.jsp
    http://www.opera.com/
    --
    __
    Tech, Jul 29, 2004
  9. JamesBenson

    JamesBenson Guest

    Good link, since when do you have to pay for stuff like that, how are people
    supposed to believe it if you have to pay for advice which should be given
    out for free

    JamesBenson, Jul 29, 2004
  10. JamesBenson

    Tech Guest

    JamesBenson wrote:

    > Good link, since when do you have to pay for stuff like that, how are
    > people supposed to believe it if you have to pay for advice which should
    > be given out for free

    The link is there to validate the story as a citation source. However, you
    can google for other free links, i.e. keywords "IE Advisory News", etc.

    Nevertheless, the facts remain the same: IE must never be used to browse
    the Internet.

    Thus:

    --
    __
    Tech, Jul 30, 2004
  11. JamesBenson

    Tech Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:

    > In 10 years, MS could be the
    > Studebaker of the computer world and become extinct like the Commodore
    > and the Amiga OSs.
    >

    > Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    For Inovation's sake, let's hope so...

    --
    __
    Tech, Jul 30, 2004
  12. JamesBenson

    JimS. Guest

    "Tech" <> wrote in message
    > Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:
    >
    > > In 10 years, MS could be the
    > > Studebaker of the computer world and become extinct like the Commodore
    > > and the Amiga OSs.
    > >

    > > Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    > For Inovation's sake, let's hope so...

    Yeah, Tech, then with someone else being #1, you'll have to find someone
    else to take potshots at.
    JimS., Jul 30, 2004
  13. JamesBenson

    Plato Guest

    Tech wrote:

    I keep thinking standard desktop pcs will get really small but of course
    we all like to add new drives and such and want the bays. Then I'm
    thinking that hmmm, USB/firewire and such yeah, pcs can get small but
    who the heck wants an octopus of wires/devices. Heck, just a standard
    external modem and router with their wires is bad enough.
    Plato, Jul 30, 2004
  14. JamesBenson

    Tech Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > Tech wrote:
    >>

    > I keep thinking standard desktop pcs will get really small but of course
    > we all like to add new drives and such and want the bays. Then I'm
    > thinking that hmmm, USB/firewire and such yeah, pcs can get small but
    > who the heck wants an octopus of wires/devices. Heck, just a standard
    > external modem and router with their wires is bad enough.

    Wired magazine had a cool article on the future "wearable computer". With
    nanotechnology evolving now, in a few years peripheral connectivity won't
    be an issue at all.

    --
    __
    Tech, Jul 30, 2004
  15. JamesBenson

    Tech Guest

    JimS. wrote:

    > Yeah, Tech, then with someone else being #1, you'll have to find someone
    > else to take potshots at.

    Show where I've taken *ANY* potshots at anyone.

    --
    __
    Tech, Jul 30, 2004
  16. JamesBenson

    JamesBenson Guest

    Your an idiot, any program can be hacked, easily by people who know how,
    even antivirus/firewall which is suposed to protect you, has mozilla etc
    been tested like IE, obviously not cos we dont hear about them and their
    security issues, I supposed you will say they have now. proof?

    JamesBenson, Jul 30, 2004
  17. JamesBenson

    Tech Guest

    JamesBenson wrote:

    > Your an idiot, any program can be hacked, easily by people who know how,

    Not half the idiot who insists on using a browser that's been hacked like
    no other browser has.

    > even antivirus/firewall which is suposed to protect you, has mozilla etc
    > been tested like IE, obviously not cos we dont hear about them and their
    > security issues, I supposed you will say they have now. proof?

    The proof is in the pudding:
    By Loring Wirbel, EE Times

    The Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness
    Team touched off a storm this week when it recommended for security reasons
    using browsers other than Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer.

    The Microsoft browser, the government warned, cannot protect against
    vulnerabilities in its Internet Information Services (IIS) 5 server
    programs, which a team of hackers allegedly based in Russia has exploited
    with a Java script that is appended to Web sites.

    The particular virus initiated this week inserts Java script into certain
    Web sites. When users visit those sites, it initiates pop-up ads on home
    and office computers, and allows keystroke analysis of user information.
    The target is believed to be credit card numbers. CERT estimated that as
    many as tens of thousands of Web sites may be affected.

    CERT said vulnerabilities in IIS and IE could include MIME-type
    determination, the DHTML object model, the IE domain/zone security model
    and ActiveX scripts. Alternative browsers such as Mozilla or Netscape may
    not protect users, the agency warned, if those browsers invoke ActiveX
    control or HTML rendering engines.

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&e=3&u=/cmp/20040702/tc_cmp/22103407

    --
    __
    Tech, Jul 31, 2004
  18. JamesBenson

    Tech Guest

    JB wrote:

    > Alternative browsers such as Mozilla or Netscape may
    >> not protect users

    > that's the bit i like

    Of course, Mozilla or Netscape may not be the absolute solution to certain
    attacks, but they are far less vulnerable than IE in most (important)
    respects and will offer a degree of security that IE simply cannot muster.

    --
    __
    Tech, Jul 31, 2004
  19. JamesBenson

    JB Guest

    Alternative browsers such as Mozilla or Netscape may
    > not protect users

    that's the bit i like

    JB, Jul 31, 2004
  20. JamesBenson

    JB Guest

    So then tech have your opinions changed after today's security release
    does that not fix the exploit

    JB, Jul 31, 2004