Windows Explorer default search settings

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sticky, Jul 15, 2007.

  1. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    We all know how to get Explorer to search all files and folders for a
    particular file name (or part thereof) on the HDD.

    How do I do the same thing except turn off the search archive (normally
    "zip") files feature?

    I have a number of large zip files - I know what I want is not inside
    these, yet Explorer spends minutes searching *every* file name inside
    these.

    Alternatively can I disable a disk wide search of a single sub-folder?

    There doesn't appear to be a command line switch to affect this.

    Alternatively does anyone know of a utility to search for a file name
    (or importantly part or fuzzy name) on a hard drive that can be told not
    to search inside archives? I'm happy with c.l utils but not Linux.

    rant mode on :

    Windows Explorer is pretty good now but when are Microsoft going to
    supply us with a decent search facility? One without yellow dogs or
    Merlin to "assist". Also let's not mention the MS-Word text search
    feature, it is extremely pathetic. How many years have they had to
    perfect this?

    Thanks

    Sticky, Jul 15, 2007

  2. Sticky

    impossible Guest

    "Sticky" <> wrote in message
    > We all know how to get Explorer to search all files and folders for a
    > particular file name (or part thereof) on the HDD.
    >
    > How do I do the same thing except turn off the search archive (normally
    > "zip") files feature?
    >
    > I have a number of large zip files - I know what I want is not inside
    > these, yet Explorer spends minutes searching *every* file name inside
    > these.
    >
    > Alternatively can I disable a disk wide search of a single sub-folder?
    >

    > There doesn't appear to be a command line switch to affect this.

    If you're using Vista, the desktop search tool provides all these options, I
    believe. If you're using XP, download Windows Desktop Search, which adds the
    equivalent functionality:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/default.mspx

    Look in the help files for information on how to customize everything,
    especially the indexing properties.

    impossible, Jul 16, 2007

  3. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Sticky" <> wrote in message
    >> We all know how to get Explorer to search all files and folders for a
    >> particular file name (or part thereof) on the HDD.
    >>

    > If you're using Vista, the desktop search tool provides all these options, I
    > believe. If you're using XP, download Windows Desktop Search, which adds the
    > equivalent functionality:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/default.mspx
    >
    > Look in the help files for information on how to customize everything,
    > especially the indexing properties.

    Many thanks.

    --
    Jim

    Sticky, Jul 21, 2007
  4. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Sticky" <> wrote in message

    snip

    >> Alternatively can I disable a disk wide search of a single sub-folder?
    >>

    >> There doesn't appear to be a command line switch to affect this.
    >>

    > If you're using Vista, the desktop search tool provides all these options, I
    > believe. If you're using XP, download Windows Desktop Search, which adds the
    > equivalent functionality:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/default.mspx

    Eventually I downloaded and tried out Exalead.

    Excellent Freeware, very fast and indexes miles faster than Microsoft
    Desktop Search. In fact they are both good but Exalead does not need SP2
    or Vista.

    --
    Jim

    Sticky, Aug 9, 2007