    the problem?
    (there are no system restore points available)

    Paul

    Paul Watkins, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Paul Watkins

    Boomer Guest

    "Paul Watkins" <> wrote in
    news:IOLgc.57$:

    > My friend's PC has developed a 'major' fault.
    > Every time he boots up and then opens windows explorer it crashes.
    > 'windows explorer has performed......'

    Performed... ?

    > It is only windows explorer that is crashing.
    >
    > Is there anything that i could try (before a re-install) that
    > might correct the problem?
    > (there are no system restore points available)
    >
    > Paul

    Hopefully these will help.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#asking

    Boomer, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Paul Watkins

    Paul Watkins Guest

    I can't remember the exact error but it is something like:
    'Windows Explorer has performed an Illegal Operation'
    an error in 'explorer.exe'

    Is there any windows XP built in utilities that could restore corrupt/damged
    ..dll files without having to re-install Windows XP.

    Paul

    Paul Watkins, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Paul Watkins

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Paul Watkins posted ...

    > I can't remember the exact error but it is something like:
    > 'Windows Explorer has performed an Illegal Operation'
    > an error in 'explorer.exe'

    Check what the _exact_ error is, and the circumstances that the error
    occurs, it _does_ help a lot in diagnosis ... hence the post earlier from
    Boomer requesting more detailed information and posting links that explain
    why.

    > Is there any windows XP built in utilities that could restore
    > corrupt/damged .dll files without having to re-install Windows XP.

    Use the system disks / system restore that came with the computer. This
    isn't necessarily a full system restore, but can often do system repairs,
    though it _does_ depend upon who the computer manufacturer is ..

    I have successfully just copied across files, including .dll files, from
    other sytems using floppies.

    Maybe http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;194176 might
    help a bit ...

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Paul Watkins

    Boomer Guest

    "Paul Watkins" <> wrote in

    > I can't remember the exact error but it is something like:
    > 'Windows Explorer has performed an Illegal Operation'
    > an error in 'explorer.exe'
    >
    > Is there any windows XP built in utilities that could restore
    > corrupt/damged .dll files without having to re-install Windows XP.
    >
    > Paul

    Quick search via Google.com
    Error Message: Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by
    Windows KB 314867
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314867

    Explorer.exe May Generate an Application Error When You Close a Folder
    KB 329692
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329692

    Have you searched Googles archives?
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

    Boomer, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Paul Watkins

    Shel-hed Guest

    Post the OS.
    Press ctrl alt del and post the results.

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:08:03 +0100, "Paul Watkins" <> wrote
    in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Apr 19, 2004
  7. Paul Watkins

    reid decker Guest

    In System Restore, have you tried the left arrow above the calendar? You
    may be able to go back a month. Then click on a restore date, I have done
    it, but it doesn't always work.

    reid decker, Apr 21, 2004